Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to keep an OC for more then a season at a time.

Unfortunately you will most likely get your wish.[/QUOTE]
Yeah it’s great having young coordinators that nobody wants. If nobody wants to interview your coordinators, you want it to be because they already failed as a head coach, not because they suck.

When your coordinators need a consultant to help them succeed, maybe you need new coordinators. Maybe even let the consultant be the coordinator. I’ve never heard of paying a coordinator and also having to pay someone else to hold their hand. That’s why this franchise can never finish the job.
Do we know what level of involvement Schwartz had and where?

Whatever the level, the Titans D was the strength of the team this year. Whether Bowen got better, Schwartz addressed a need, the talent improved or all the above, everyone here who called for Bowen to be fired was wrong.

You obviously feel Downing is incompetent and I too question some of the things he does as I have every OC the Titans has ever had. But I think he catches a lot of blame for player mistakes and had his hands tied behind his back most of the season due to injuries.

Because of this, I don’t think Vrabel will fire Downing and, if Vrabel decides to take the same approach he did with Bowen, I welcome it if it gets the offense back to were it was last season.

Whatever the level, the Titans D was the strength of the team this year. Whether Bowen got better, Schwartz addressed a need, the talent improved or all the above, everyone here who called for Bowen to be fired was wrong.

You obviously feel Downing is incompetent and I too question some of the things he does as I have every OC the Titans has ever had. But I think he catches a lot of blame for player mistakes and had his hands tied behind his back most of the season due to injuries.

Because of this, I don’t think Vrabel will fire Downing and, if Vrabel decides to take the same approach he did with Bowen, I welcome it if it gets the offense back to were it was last season.

I believe that Schwartz played a big role in helping our defense improve….his defenses have always been solid against the run, have good sack numbers and good 3rd down stop %…..we greatly improved in all those areas….no doubt the addition of players help as well, but I just don’t think it was a coincidence that we improved in all of those key areas that have been staples of Schwartz defense

It's from PK, but it is interesting:

"The fourth-down stop by the Bengals on Henry was tipped off when Firkser readjusted his positioning from the slot to two steps closer to the line of scrimmage to block the outside linebacker. This told inside linebacker Marcus Baily it was a run play to Henry and Bailey made the easy tackle for a loss and turnover on downs."

"The third-and-1 stop just before that was a simple option read by Tannehill. He reads the DE on the offensive right side. The right tackle is blocking the inside linebacker, if the end crashes down on Henry the QB keeps it if he stays, it’s a hand it off. The DE stayed but Tannehill kept the ball. David Quessenberry also missed his block on the inside linebacker, so both reads were taken away."

Scouting review: How it all came apart for the Titans

If Bowen had to have another man tell him how to do his job, how was everyone who called for him to be fired, wrong? The point of having a coordinator is they know how to do their job and run the offense/defense. If you’re coordinators need to be told what to do, they shouldn’t be coordinators to begin with.

I believe that Schwartz played a big role in helping our defense improve….his defenses have always been solid against the run, have good sack numbers and good 3rd down stop %…..we greatly improved in all those areas….no doubt the addition of players help as well, but I just don’t think it was a coincidence that we improved in all of those key areas that have been staples of Schwartz defense
I’ve not read anything about the level of Schwartz’s involvement. If you have, please share the source. Otherwise, it’s just speculation.

If Bowen had to have another man tell him how to do his job, how was everyone who called for him to be fired, wrong? The point of having a coordinator is they know how to do their job and run the offense/defense. If you’re coordinators need to be told what to do, they shouldn’t be coordinators to begin with.
Again, you have no clue as the overall involvement of Schwartz—especially that he “told Bowen what to do”.

That’s Vrabel’s job. His coordinators do his bidding. He didn’t even formally call Bowen his DC last season.

Again, you have no clue as the overall involvement of Schwartz—especially that he “told Bowen what to do”.

That’s Vrabel’s job. His coordinators do his bidding. He didn’t even formally call Bowen his DC last season.
Funny how the defense looked totally different this year then. We constantly ran 4 man fronts and did the same pass rush stunts we did when Fisher was head coach. Even the wide 9. Guess it was just a coincidence that Schwartz is hired and then we start running his defense….

screw your level headed pragmatism!

LOL

Funny how the defense looked totally different this year then. We constantly ran 4 man fronts and did the same pass rush stunts we did when Fisher was head coach. Even the wide 9. Guess it was just a coincidence that Schwartz is hired and then we start running his defense….
Yes. He was clearly brought in because of his knowledge and experience. Incorporating some of that into the defensive scheme is far from him telling Bowen what to do.

That’s why I don’t think it’s crazy to think Vrabel might consider bringing in someone to help with the offense without firing Downing.

Yes. He was clearly brought in because of his knowledge and experience. Incorporating some of that into the defensive scheme is far from him telling Bowen what to do.

That’s why I don’t think it’s crazy to think Vrabel might consider bringing in someone to help with the offense without firing Downing.

What does that say about Vrabel if he has to bring in someone to help out the DC/OC? Why not just hire someone who doesn't need to be held by the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back