Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've pretty much accepted the fact that we're gonna take a QB with the #3 pick.

I just hate that the year we HAVE to take our future QB just happens to coincide with one of the more "elite" top ends of the draft in recent memory. I would kill to have Hawk, Mario, D'Brickashaw, or Mike Huff on our team. I'd like the year we took a QB to actually be the year when the QB is the BPA left on the board, and I'm not sure you can say that this year...

RollTide said:
Now i'm not saying that mel kiper is the word of god in these matters but there is a reason why he is rich and famous ranking propsects for the draft. Despite the combine he still thinks that cutler is over hyped and rates him only 15th. Is he that wrong that we should take cutler 3rd?

Likewise I could point out that Mike Mayock works for NFL Network as a draft expert as a living. And someone else could find a "draftexpert" who has Young as the #1 prospect.

The point is, none of that matters. If a team, for instance the Titans, believe a given quarterback can be their future franchise quarterback, you don't pass him up because there's a DE or LB rated a little higher.

williams is an animal of a man, but with all of his size/speed, he never produced like i thought he would. he only had 24 career sacks.

RollTide said:
But he runs a kearse-freeney 40 @ 4.66. If new orleans really did sign a drew brees they will be the ones drafting this guy.

No, that's about 2 tenths slower than what those guys ran.

My problem was he was pretty erratic in college. I don't know if that's just a motor thing or what, but it's the concern with him. If we didn't have KVB coming back, I'd be much more inclined to want to draft Mario.

Mike mayock? Who the f is that?

You compare that moron to mel kiper? Mel kiper is more in line with what nfl GMs think than any other talking head. Mike mayock has lienart 10th. He is absolute moron! Is this guy in love with cutler or something? Note that he has young well off of third.

Of course cory chavous is a genius. He has reggie mcneal #1. A fromer vandy guy no less, yikes!

I can do better than those guys

RollTide, have you ever had an argument where you didn't evade your opponents points consistently?

And that Mel Kiper is more in line with what NFL GM's think is open for debate. I personally think he's way overrated. And then he goes on to say it's obviously the GM's who got it wrong if they don't pick who he predicts...
In 2005 he had 8 out of 32 right, not exactly spectacular. In comparison Scouts Inc. went 13/32:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/news/story?id=2041659

There are a ton of draft experts. The best expert doesn't always get the most right, obviously. It doesn't really matter anyway. I think we can all agree that Kiper is not usually wrong by much. Rodgers was an exception.

Well the criteria for being an expert must be to consistently get more right answers than anyone else. Unfortunately I can't find a whole lot of previous Mocks by Kiper, only his 2005 and 2004 from January, which probably was only a rough draft (and horribly wrong).

If anyone has ESPN Insider it would be cool to see Kiper's previous Mocks. My gut feeling is that he fares no better than most others.

Edit:
Heh, just stumbled on this 2001 article by Gregg Easterbrook (aka TMQ)
http://www.slate.com/id/104479
Look for the section on Mel Kiper.

Visteg....

I don't give a rats butt about mocks. Why would anyone bother to read minds? It's where players are picked in relation to where he ranks them not guessing what team they go to.

If kiper has cutler as the 15th best player in this draft i doubt very many GMs will have him 3rd. The great blue north ranks him 10th. Nfl draft countdown ranks him 16th.

Do you honestly believe lienart will be the 10th player taken in this draft? Mike mayock thinks he should be. Kiper ranks him 2nd so who is likely to be more in line with where lienart is actually drafted?

Again, you miss the point RollTide. You can always find an "expert" who supports your ideas and who happen to have had some success predicting players in the past. Mel Kiper, Mike Mayock and Corey Chavous are all 3 people who differ wildly in their opinion of the best players in this draft, but have all had some success in previous years. It's impossible to say that one guess is more correct than the other.

Do I think Leinart will be first QB taken? Yes I do. Is he the second best player in the draft? Hell no, and neither is Vince Young the fifth best.

Visteg....

But mel kiper is not just some guy. He has been doing this for over 20 years and does this year round. Why did espn of all people keep him on to be their offical draft guy?

Can you remember a time when mel kiper had a guy 15th on his big board and somebody drafted that guy 3rd? I can't. The first 5 picks last year went exactly as kiper ranked them.

RollTide said:
Can you remember a time when mel kiper had a guy 15th on his big board and somebody drafted that guy 3rd? I can't. The first 5 picks last year went exactly as kiper ranked them.
no, but i do remember he had mike williams in the top 3 and he fell down to 11. and he would have fallen further had the lions not taken a wr for the 3rd year in a row.

RollTide said:

Kiper had Aaron Rodgers going 5th to the Bucs, he went 24th to the Packers.
And he had Barron at 27, but he went 19. All these predictions are nothing more than guesses. And being the 15th rated guy on Kipers big board, does not mean you will be drafted #15. You could easily be drafted well before or after that.

I would still pick the 15th rated guy if he played an important position which I needed badly and I felt that this was my only shot at a guy like this in many years.

Another case is D'Brick and Mario Williams; I have them as 2 of the 5 best players in this draft, but that doesn't mean I would draft them at #3 if I were the Titans, because I believe I'm already set at those positions, however I do need a stud linebacker, even if Hawk is only the 6th or 7th best players in the draft, or Huff or Cutler or Young for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back