Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
You actually don't need to run to set up play action. Art was leaps and bounds better than downing but he ran way too much too
It makes play action more effective if the defense is expecting you to run because you’ve been running it well. That’s the entire point of play action.

It makes play action more effective if the defense is expecting you to run because you’ve been running it well. That’s the entire point of play action.
Yes, that's the point but it really doesn't matter if you've "established the run" or not. Play action works regardless of how much you run.

Art ran like crazy too, just had better schemes overall.

Art was a better play caller on third down in my opinion. He wasn't nearly as reliant on trick plays and he knew what a QB sneak was on 3rd and short.

He also knew how to better utilize TE's. I mean how the heck was Swain the primary TE today? Hopper didnt have a target until 59 minutes into the game

But like Downing, he ran way too much on first downs hoping Henry would break one.

Art was a better play caller on third down in my opinion. He wasn't nearly as reliant on trick plays and he knew what a QB sneak was on 3rd and short.

He also knew how to better utilize TE's. I mean how the heck was Swain the primary TE today? Hopper didnt have a target until 59 minutes into the game

But like Downing, he ran way too much on first downs hoping Henry would break one.
I could take the playbook from Tecmo Bowl and call a better game than Todd Downing.

Really hope Henry regains his form but we know RBs only have a few years of greatness before the body just eventually breaks down. I know we can't trust and rely on Tammy. It does suck seeing AJ and Julio having success in a different uniform.

Dontrell Hilliard was a two touchdown bright spot as a receiver. Henry always starts slow, but he looked pretty pedestrian today. I hope he's just shaking off rust, along with Hooper. Today seemed to be the Jeff Swaim show.
Yea, the Jeff swaim show didn’t make sense to me. Thought we signed a new TE and drafted one, both of which have to be more capable than 8 catches a year for 60 yds and 2 TD.

That said, Burks and Phillips both made some catches. No mention of Woods and NWI did kind of what he does.

The genius JRob got rid of Julio and AJ Brown for Woods and NWI. Absolutely brilliant. I guess if you’re OC is Downing, no need to waste money on WR’s though. Not like they will be used.
In all honesty, that was exactly my reasoning to let brown go.

We still have 17 games (18 for Jones) to see if those were the right moves or not.
So far, I’d still say yep due to cost for Brown.

A lot of recent statistical analysis have demonstrated that there is little correlation to running the ball successfully and effective playaction pass game.

Rushing Success and Play-Action Passing

The Best Time to Utilize Play Action | Sharp Football

One of the keys to playaction success is creating run/pass conflicts out of the same looks (personnel and/or formations). This is something Art was actually pretty good at. He'd show one look out of a personnel group and particular formation, and then run a different look out of the same group. Even if the run look wasn't producing, the defense would still think run when they saw the same formation/personnel group and bite on the PA. It's tendencies.

The fact that Downing doesn't do this well either is another in a long list of his issues.

A lot of recent statistical analysis have demonstrated that there is little correlation to running the ball successfully and effective playaction pass game.

Rushing Success and Play-Action Passing

The Best Time to Utilize Play Action | Sharp Football

One of the keys to playaction success is creating run/pass conflicts out of the same looks (personnel and/or formations). This is something Art was actually pretty good at. He'd show one look out of a personnel group and particular formation, and then run a different look out of the same group. Even if the run look wasn't producing, the defense would still think run when they saw the same formation/personnel group and bite on the PA. It's tendencies.

The fact that Downing doesn't do this well either is another in a long list of his issues.
Exactly what I was getting at!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back