Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he went to Carolina to be an even bigger second fiddle to McCaffrey. If he hadn't been traded, Foreman would have rot on the bench.
Mccaffrey has always had injury issues and their was plenty of chatter about him being traded last offseason too. My main point is that unless you franchise tag a guy then the player is the one with the final choice where he ends up playing.

As a fan, without any expertise in cap management or contracts or NFL talent assessment, my view is that JRob may have thought he was the smartest NFL guy in the room.

He had some really good hits but how many guys coming off injuries do you keep bringing in thinking it puts us over the top? How do you sit and watch our offense and think trading AJ makes any sense? Outside of Tanny and Henry, who else was more critical to our offense than AJ? Imagine AJ and Burks together.

how do you watch our Oline and sit back and let that continue to rot? He should have seen this coming 2 years ago and found Lewan’s replacement. Lewan has not been worth his contract.

you can list a page of his hits, but we are not competing at the peak of AFC teams like KC and Buffalo and until that happens we might as well be the Jags.

In any other AFC division we would be mediocre at best with this team.

As a fan who has spent good money on season tickets since 99 I won’t give anyone a pass until they win a SB. Everyone on here wants Downing gone despite our 2021 season (me too) yet you wanna defend the total mismanagement of our roster and give JR some pass?

No thanks. I do expect a rebuild. We have Willis for God’s sake as our next QB. JR peaked and this year showed that.

Has he? Trades/FA signings that he hit on in his tenure:

DeMarco Murray
Ben Jones
Dennis Kelly
Rishard Matthews
Logan Ryan
Malcolm Butler
Ryan Tannehill
Kenny Vacarro
Janoris Jenkins
Roger Saffold
Denico Autry
Bud Dupree (when he’s on the field)
Austin Hooper
Dontrelle Hilliard
D’Onta Foreman

Not to mention the countless other UDFA and PS players that he’s brought in and had success. I’m sure I’m forgetting a couple major ones as well.

This revisionist history around here is hilarious. God, I love sports fandom.
The problem with the list is that it started 6 years ago and of the entire list, THill, Autry, Hooper, Hilliard, and Dupree are still on the team.
Hooper is underutilized, Dupree is too expensive for what he offers, as you pointed out, “when he’s on the field”.

From the top of this thread, many gave him credit for the first couple years and the franchise turnaround.
Couple great selections, and some that are franchise crippling, more so over the past 2-3 years.

So not revisionist theory, reality to the timing of what cost him his job,

you can list a page of his hits, but we are not competing at the peak of AFC team lime KC and Buffalo and until that happens we might as well be the Jags.

In any other AFC division we would be mediocre at best with this team.

As a fan who has spent good money on season tickets since 99 I won’t give anyone a pass until they win a SB. Everyone on here want Downing gone despite our 2021 season (me too) yet you wanna defend the total mismanagement of our roster and give JR some pass?

No thanks. I do expect a rebuild. We have Willis for God’s sake as our next QB. JR peaked and this year showed that.
Disagree that Tennessee couldn’t compete at the top of the AFC. Currently, it appears that way. 1 year ago, the W/L record against the “peak AFC” states otherwise.

On the downing point, it absolutely holds water that his play calling may have been the difference in winning in the playoffs but the roster was there to win it all having beaten every one of the top teams except Cincinnati but were surely in position to win that game and didn’t execute,

But what’s done is done regardless. No beef moving on from JRob, he was good for this team but appears to have run his course.

The problem with the list is that it started 6 years ago and of the entire list, THill, Autry, Hooper, Hilliard, and Dupree are still on the team.

This. 1000 times this. JRob built a team that could've won a Super Bowl, but JRob also dismantled said team.

The current Tennessee Titans aren't winning a Super Bowl. Hell, the current Tennessee Titans likely won't win a playoff game. I mean, the current Tennessee Titans may not score a TD in the playoffs. The current Tennessee Titans are as much on JRob as the earlier versions were, and we're trending in the wrong direction dramatically.

Bottom line, anyone watching the Titans this year can see that the talent on this team has taken a major step backwards. It’s a wonder we have as many wins as we do. We’ve only beaten one team with a winning record. Another year of this trajectory and we could easily be back to a bottom feeder.

Amy recognized this fact and made a quick move to stop the bleeding and try to get the team moving back in the right direction again.

We have been in the same division for a very long time. How often have we won the division against the Jags, Texans, and Colts, 4 years in a row?

Let me also say, I said on this board many years ago... All I care about is a championship. We have literally done everything else. I dont get excited for playoffs, I dont get excited for win streaks. I want to win a championship and want them to do whatever it takes to get there. But let's not act like we havent been a really solid team for awhile. We just arent a championship winning team.
I'm talking now not 1999...I want a SB not AFC banners

Disagree that Tennessee couldn’t compete at the top of the AFC. Currently, it appears that way. 1 year ago, the W/L record against the “peak AFC” states otherwise.

On the downing point, it absolutely holds water that his play calling may have been the difference in winning in the playoffs but the roster was there to win it all having beaten every one of the top teams except Cincinnati but were surely in position to win that game and didn’t execute,

But what’s done is done regardless. No beef moving on from JRob, he was good for this team but appears to have run his course.

Ok, but even if that’s the case, shouldn’t Robinson get a chance to navigate the franchise out of this “mess” (a term that should be used loosely here?) I mean, GM’s that can win like this don’t exactly grow on trees.

how do you watch our Oline and sit back and let that continue to rot? He should have seen this coming 2 years ago and found Lewan’s replacement. Lewan has not been worth is contract.

JRob did not ignore the OL and was trying to plan for Lewan's replacement by drafting Wilson and then when that failed he drafted Radunz. JRob has not been oblivious to our teams needs. He has just made bad choices.

This league is such a matchup league that when you have a player that can consistently win 1 on 1 then you have to do all you can to keep that guy. That one guy makes everyone better because as a coach it gives you an advantage.
You pay pass rushers who must be double teamed... Landry does not fall into that category for me.... he is a very solid player but other offenses aren't scheming how to stop him.... AJ should have gotten Landry's money... and I bet JRob feels that way now

Ok, but even if that’s the case, shouldn’t Robinson get a chance to navigate the franchise out of this “mess” (a term that should be used loosely here?) I mean, GM’s that can win like this don’t exactly grow on trees.
This is actually what I thought might happen. Strunk telling JR to fix it or get lost. Firing him mid-season was a complete surprise to me and apparently everyone else. This is more what Bud would have done than what I expected from Amy. I’m sure JR will get another GM job and hopefully improves on areas where he fell short here. I am equally sure the next guy in line will feel the heat to make strong decisions with long lasting positive results.

JRob did not ignore the OL and was trying to plan for Lewan's replacement by drafting Wilson and then when that failed he drafted Radunz. JRob has not been oblivious to our teams needs. He has just made bad choices.
Wilson was never going to be Lewan’s replacement. He was replacing (theoretically) Conklin/Kelly. JR didn’t bring in quality players 2 years straight on the OL and the effects are obvious.

Titans need to have superior OL to succeed! End of story! Also, I approve of the style of choice. Control, dominance, boring! It wins. These fire starter high octane teams get broken when faced with it when it’s carried out in all its glory. Just my thoughts. Need a great D though to make it work!
when the Titans are rolling it is 100% Conan time...

Has he? Trades/FA signings that he hit on in his tenure:

DeMarco Murray
Ben Jones
Dennis Kelly
Rishard Matthews
Logan Ryan
Malcolm Butler
Ryan Tannehill
Kenny Vacarro
Janoris Jenkins
Roger Saffold
Denico Autry
Bud Dupree (when he’s on the field)
Austin Hooper
Dontrelle Hilliard
D’Onta Foreman

Not to mention the countless other UDFA and PS players that he’s brought in and had success. I’m sure I’m forgetting a couple major ones as well.

This revisionist history around here is hilarious. God, I love sports fandom.
didnt robinson let kelly walk for nothing while needing OL depth???

yes robinson DID let kelly walk for nothing

didnt robinson let forman walk for nothing while needing RB/ST depth???

yes robinson DID let forman walk for nothing

DUDE.... ryan was burnt toast best one can say is he got snaps... michelle griffing got tons of snaps and was noting but a biotch in the backfield ... same with butler although butler was better IMO

GRANTED not many praising running the last of the tread off murrays tires ... yes that was a soild pickup - agreed. not exactly a HR in the talent evaluation department but still a solid pickup

hooper has done next to nothing as a Titan... just sayin'. Dude is a starting TE on Titans on pace for 38 catches 395 yards & 3 TDs ... this is nothing to be excited about in Titans O

I could continue to nitpick the post but will end it by saying there is probably a better list of robinson hits out there somewhere

And BTW- I know this is hard to swallow but end of this year.........FULL.REBUILD.MODE. Get ready for tankola next year and some off season trades/cuts.
I just dont see it happening while Titans are dominating AFCS and there is no need for it IMO

I think it is possible to address OL & remain dominate for next few years

I dont see any need for a tankola version of rebuilding... I see more of a continuation rebuild addressing obvious needs and rolling forward till someone knocks Titans out of POs

like my opinion man

Recency bias plays a big role here. Robinson started out hot and started to cool year after year. What sealed his doom is lack of communication with ownership and totally letting two position groups slide into disaster - OL and WR. It isn’t right to say JR was a total bust and killed the club, but it’s also fair to say the main roster weaknesses that are holding us back from being competitive with the stronger teams is squarely on his shoulders. To me, the best analogy is he was a long ball hitter with a .250 avg but 30 HR.
more of a Dave Kingman IMO ... .221 with 26 HRs & 144 Ks while playing for 4 teams - LOL.

The Dave Kingman Web Site - 1977 Season

too be fair when talking about GM those are in fact equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back