Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we needed a starter maybe but Jones isn't a hugh upgrade over Landry and we need more of a rotational guy.

Hard to justify sending a pick to them when Houston, Ingram, and Vernon are available.

Exactly. The main issue is that Landry will get paid next year so the evaluation on him is critical. His real value compared to what he will demand in a contract. Signing a guy like Ingram (32 years old) only makes sense on a fairly cheap one year deal and I see another Clowney scenario (low production and possible injury). Obviously he is worth bringing in on a low deal.

We do have some flexibility with Autrey as a possible DE in a four man front and inside LBS that could slide outside in a pinch. We also have a 4th round pick we want to see play this year. No way I give up any more draft picks IMO after the Julio deal.

Zach Ertz isn't really any better than Firkser at this point in his career. Not a great blocker either. Obviously worth grabbing if free and cheap. But he is not.

If we needed a starter maybe but Jones isn't a hugh upgrade over Landry and we need more of a rotational guy.

Hard to justify sending a pick to them when Houston, Ingram, and Vernon are available.

Actually Jones is about twice as good as Landry and one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. But I agree we are better off going for a less expensive rotational guy we can get without giving up a draft pick. Jones is in the final year of his contract and wants more money.

CB is young and raw. Get Julio, let the secondary learn on the job, and win shootouts for the first half of the year. Mid year the secondary should gel, we can get through Julio's injury, and then he'll be fresh for playoffs.

As it sits, Brown is getting double team'd and the box is getting stacked. I like the Reynolds signing, but he's going to have to really produce if he's our #2. Julio, or any quality #2 for that matter, will make this offense much better. Julio for a 2nd or less, I'm on board.

Also helps that, on paper, our front 7 should actually be able to generate a pass rush.

Our secondary is young and raw... but they are extremely athletic.

Which is how it should be. You aren't going to lock down modern nfl offenses much. Hopefully we see more tipped passes turn into picks this year.

With our offense putting up the points it should, and protecting the ball like it has, we don't need THAT many stops to win a game.

And Fulton in particular... if he gets his hands on the ball in space it's 6. Very very few people are catching him if he gets a sliver of daylight.

Exactly. The main issue is that Landry will get paid next year so the evaluation on him is critical. His real value compared to what he will demand in a contract. Signing a guy like Ingram (32 years old) only makes sense on a fairly cheap one year deal and I see another Clowney scenario (low production and possible injury). Obviously he is worth bringing in on a low deal.

We do have some flexibility with Autrey as a possible DE in a four man front and inside LBS that could slide outside in a pinch. We also have a 4th round pick we want to see play this year. No way I give up any more draft picks IMO after the Julio deal.

If there's someone out there that can help us, go get em, picks be damned. We're gonna have to blow this team up in a year or two anyway. It's do or die time.

Zach Ertz isn't really any better than Firkser at this point in his career. Not a great blocker either. Obviously worth grabbing if free and cheap. But he is not.

Ertz is a decent blocker. He's definitely better than Firkser. I don't think he's a good fit here though. He will want to be a focal point wherever he goes, and that won't happen here. Colts are probably the most likely destination. Maybe Chargers if he wants to play back near where he grew up.

Ertz is a decent blocker. He's definitely better than Firkser. I don't think he's a good fit here though. He will want to be a focal point wherever he goes, and that won't happen here. Colts are probably the most likely destination. Maybe Chargers if he wants to play back near where he grew up.

OK, I guess being over 10 ratings points below Firkser per PFF for run blocking means he is better. Right. Monkeys playing with knives in people's heads again Ertz was the 96th rated TE in run blocking. That is horrible. Now Firkser had the exact SAME run blocking rating as Kittle and was the 7th overall rated TE in the NFL. But hey, Firkser isn't good enough to be our starting TE? NO damn way we are going to trade draft picks and pay $8 mil a year for Ertz. You do know he is under contract with the Eagles... right? What Ertz wants doesn't really matter.

I'm sure JRob is looking less at finding someone to replace Firkser and more likely looking for better depth. That is what he did a few years ago when he found Pruitt. Pruitt was our best rated run blocker (ranked 10th overall in run blocker of all TEs) and is playing for $1 mil a year so I have no idea why he wasn't retained.

I agree. Firk is certainly good enough to be a possession guy and red zone threat, especially since you gotta figure the defense will be focused elsewhere.

Smith only averaged 1 yard more per catch so it isn't like we are going from Randy Moss to Kendall Wright.

The two total misconceptions are as follows:

Firkser, can't block and anyone who doesn't have a serious neurological disorder is a better blocker (might add the misconception that Jonnu was a great blocker).

Firkser, slow white guy who can't make plays over 5 yards.

While he doesn't have the run after catch Jonnu has (very few TEs do) and he is not slow and catches virtually anything he can touch. He can also block as good as Jonnu and knows how to run great routes (possibly more dependable). In other words he is simply a pretty good player. Probably a better than average NFL TE. In fact he is good enough he can line up as a slot WR and be effective. We are fine.

Look, this whole thread is all about a crappy negative perspective on Farley and the CB situation. Gee, we ignored the dumb idea of trading for a CB and traded for one of the most dominant WRs of all time with plenty of tread on the tires. At worst Farley misses all season because of his back recovery (highly doubtful or we would not have drafted him) and Fulton (our 2nd round pick the previous season) has to start across from Jenkins.

But here is the reality.
Farley is 6'2, 207 pounds and runs in the 4.3s (ahh that is freaky). Plus, he has great ball skills with long arms and the ability to flip his hips with the best of them. In other words the guy is a physical freak and generational talent. Like Henry, Julio and AJ. Yes there is always that unknown element involving injury but with Farley and Julio both on the field we are one of the best football teams in the NFL with the other guys we have.

So congrats to JRob for having the man parts to go after this thing. Not to mention our OL with Lewan back, and eventually having a promising rookie on the field at RT we might have one of the best OLs in the league (Jones is a top 5 C and Nate Davis is one of the best run blocking OGs). And yes, when we put Autrey, Dupree, Simmons and Landry out there we also have one of the better DLs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back