Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. Yeah I originally didn't mind this move because I thought it at least saved us the capspace. We should've just deactivated him all season like last year before this.
This is what I would have done but a short term cap hit helps us in 2022 and 2023 when hopefully the cap goes up again...like I've said he's Miami's problem now

For the record, if you think Amy Adams Strunk isn't watching Robinson closely then you're a fool. I wouldn't be very pleased with his body of work over the last year if I was her either. I'm sure she cares about the millions we gave Beasley and then cut him, and I would hope she actually had, or will have, a 1 on 1 with him on this whole Wilson debacle since we paid him a few million of dollars for just a few snaps. If I was her, I'd be pretty embarrassed right now. I can understand the want to act like Wilson was just a bad pick and the "lets move on" attitude, but on the business side, you can't just sweep something like this under the rug. Someone has to be held accountable.

On the business side you don’t fire a stellar employee after one bad move either. Held accountable how? Remember, the owner and front office know things about the Wilson issue we don’t. WE know what’s reported. We don’t know the entire truth. He was a bad pick and a bad employee. He was fired. JRob did his job. If you run your business by firing people all the time you won’t have many people worth a dang working for you.

Jon Robinsons job isn’t in danger. Not even remotely. Nor should it be. Amy Adams Strunk leaves football decisions to football people. As it should be. The Titans have gone nowhere but up since JRob has taken over.

Neither of those players have done hardly anything though. In the NFL, assuming a player that isn't contributing will all of the sudden start contributing is a losing bet. And even if you are right, one starter in an entire draft class is awful.

Plenty of rookies across the league contributed last year. I'm pretty sure if the rookie QBs could step in and play as well as they did last year, the development excuse doesn't hold water for position players.

Lots of rookies also contributed very little as well. There were only like maybe 5 defensive rookies who were any good, so much so that Chase Young ran away with the DROY with only 7.5 sacks in 16 games.

The Titans were far from the only team to receive very little help from their 2020 draft class.

Impossible to argue anyone as a bigger bust than Russell and Leaf thanks to the ridiculous contracts they got as rookies.
the only case for Leaf over Russell is how he continued to bust after he was out of the NFL.

Yep. I recall reading Russell was so unmotivated that they started to give him blank tapes just to see if he was actually watching film. When they asked if he watched them, he told them yes.

With Wilson, at least you can say he was a late round 1st pick. The Raiders spent No. 1 overall on Russell.

Lots of rookies also contributed very little as well. There were only like maybe 5 defensive rookies who were any good, so much so that Chase Young ran away with the DROY with only 7.5 sacks in 16 games.

The Titans were far from the only team to receive very little help from their 2020 draft class.
"Only 7.5 sacks in 16 games"

Chase young is a top 5 end already.

Otherwise I agree

Ok, it seemed plain enough in your post. You were basically saying injuries were not an excuse, that they failed to contribute and that was on JR. What did I misunderstand?

JRob job responsibility is to staff the team with players. He is judged on how well he drafts and signs FAs. Blame and Responsibility two different things in the professional world. JRobs results in pkayer staffing were bad based on contributions for what he paid. He hit on some in years before. He’s a slightly above average GM.

if you rationalize performance on “potential”, no player selected should ever be cut. That’s all I’m saying.

JRob job responsibility is to staff the team with players. He is judged on how well he drafts and signs FAs. Blame and Responsibility two different things in the professional world. JRobs results in pkayer staffing were bad based on contributions for what he paid. He hit on some in years before. He’s a slightly above average GM.

if you rationalize performance on “potential”, no player selected should ever be cut. That’s all I’m saying.
I do NOT rationalize performance based of potential. You specifically spoke to the draft class last year as a failure which was JR’s fault, regardless of injury. I think Wilson was his fault 100%. I do not think Fulton or Evans being injured was his fault. You are just using a narrow view of potential. There is a timeline to achieve potential or get cut, plain and simple. It is however, a simplistic view to believe rookies hit the ground at maximum performance in year one. I totally agree JR is slightly above average and I firmly believe this off season will tell us all we need to know about his ability to sustain success or remain somewhere in the middle. Our disagreement is simply on whether a) injuries are the fault of the GM and b) Rookies are at maximum capacity in year one and not factoring in potential gained through coaching and experience. We are on the same page regarding Robinson.

I's say he'd quite a bit above average. He got us a franchise QB for a mid round pick. He drafted the best RB in football and a top 10 WR in the 2nd rounds. Never put together a losing team in TN either. That covers up for any of his misdeeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back