Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I's say he'd quite a bit above average. He got us a franchise QB for a mid round pick. He drafted the best RB in football and a top 10 WR in the 2nd rounds. Never put together a losing team in TN either. That covers up for any of his misdeeds.
If JRob can't be blamed for Dodd because of the previous scout staff he can't get credit for Henry.

AJ Brown is a beast, great pick but he also drafted Davis at 5?
Conklin? Replaced with Wilson?

He's an average GM

If JRob can't be blamed for Dodd because of the previous scout staff he can't get credit for Henry.

He's an average GM

So who are the 10-20 GM's that have done better than him and what did they do?

I's say he'd quite a bit above average. He got us a franchise QB for a mid round pick. He drafted the best RB in football and a top 10 WR in the 2nd rounds. Never put together a losing team in TN either. That covers up for any of his misdeeds.
Above average is still good. In my thoughts, he is a borderline B+ with this year a really strong chance to move to an “A” or a “C”. I hope it’s an “A” for sure, but in 5 years there were enough mis-fires and inability to retain talent, that I don’t feel I can move him to the top of the class. 9-7 is above average and that’s mostly what we have produced. If we can sustain 11+ wins, we move up the ladder.

So who are the 10-20 GM's that have done better than him and what did they do?
I don’t think you can look at it as a median grade. There may be a disproportionate amount of average to below average in a 3-5 year period. I do not think for the most part you can grade out a GM based on a single season - unless your name is O’Brien. But, we have more 9-7 seasons under this GM than 9+. That’s a little above average to me. If you compare him to where we were only, he is an A+ because we were sooo bad. But, the standard is sustained and deep play-off runs, we ain’t there yet. I believe we can get there in a hurry if we properly manage the roster and coaching staff.

I think every GM has their position(s) they draft best, he's hit on a lot of players. But he can't seem to draft a stud pass rusher that's been his one fault as a gm.

He's an average GM

I'm not sure who said he can't be blamed for Dodd. It certainly wasn't me. Also, he drafted Conklin in the 1st place. And brought in Kelly for DGB.

Davis may not have lived up to his top 5 billing, but he's still a damn fine WR. In a more passing friendly offense, he might even be a true No. 1.

Average GM, yet he turned literally the worst team in the league over the prior 2 seasons into a winning team in one off-season. And he hasn't put together a losing team yet....

LOL, keep telling yourself that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure who said he can't be blamed for Dodd. It certainly wasn't me. Also, he drafted Conklin in the 1st place. And brought in Kelly for DGB.

Davis may not have lived up to his top 5 billing, but he's still a damn fine WR. In a more passing friendly offense, he might even be a true No. 1.
You said he hit on Henry, other posters, not you have said he can't be blamed for Dodd because of previous staff

Yes he drafted Conklin, but failed to keep him...I get why but you trade up for a RT he should make it past his rookie deal
Davis is a great #2 here, maybe a #1 elsewhere, we'll see, but he was drafted to be a 1...we passed on Lattimore in that draft.

Average GM, yet he turned literally the worst team in the league over the prior 2 seasons into a winning team in one off-season. And he hasn't put together a losing team yet....

LOL, keep telling yourself that.
When we stop being one and done I'll get excited about the "winning team"

I don’t think you can look at it as a median grade. There may be a disproportionate amount of average to below average in a 3-5 year period. I do not think for the most part you can grade out a GM based on a single season - unless your name is O’Brien. But, we have more 9-7 seasons under this GM than 9+. That’s a little above average to me. If you compare him to where we were only, he is an A+ because we were sooo bad. But, the standard is sustained and deep play-off runs, we ain’t there yet. I believe we can get there in a hurry if we properly manage the roster and coaching staff.

I think you judge him based off other teams over this same time span. Without looking it up, I would venture to say the Titans are top 6 in wins since J-Rob took over. His FA signings have mostly worked out as well. 2020 was a bad off-season for him all around, aside from locking up our 2 most important players. But we still finished with 11 wins despite that.

When we stop being one and done I'll get excited about the "winning team"

We literally made the AFC championship a year ago, winning 2 playoff games in the process. Did you forget that?

Also, we barely lost to the Ravens this year despite a laundry list of injuries we had to overcome throughout the year.

I think you judge him based off other teams over this same time span. Without looking it up, I would venture to say the Titans are top 6 in wins since J-Rob took over. His FA signings have mostly worked out as well. 2020 was a bad off-season for him all around, aside from locking up our 2 most important players. But we still finished with 11 wins despite that.
I stand by my post. We are above average overall since he came on board. How much above average is apparently all over the board. I don’t know why above average is taken as an insult though by so many posters. We were clearly below average before he came.

We literally made the AFC championship a year ago, winning 2 playoff games in the process. Did you forget that?

Also, we barely lost to the Ravens this year despite a laundry list of injuries we had to overcome throughout the year.
No I certainly didn't forget that, but we followed it up with a disappointing year...blame injuries, covid whatever. Lots of teams dealt with injuries, thats where roster depth comes into play

Forgive me if I'd like to be a legit contender, not a team that had a good year and then dissappoint or "barely lost" as you put it...did you forget we did lose to Cincy..good teams don't do that

JRob has made good moves as well as bad...this year will be a telling year...unless we have more excuses

We are a second tier team with some excellent pieces. We can get there if we up our game in personnel acquisition and retention. We can’t mess the kicking situation up for 3 seasons, the Pass Rush for 3 seasons and waste draft capital and expect to be elite. We can’t only hire people we went to summer camp with and not look to upgrade. There are areas we need to build from, a top tier GM will see to it that happens. I am hopeful JR takes that next step. He did a great job getting us out of the cellar, now let’s see if we can reach the sky.

No I certainly didn't forget that, but we followed it up with a disappointing year...blame injuries, covid whatever. Lots of teams dealt with injuries, thats where roster depth comes into play

Forgive me if I'd like to be a legit contender, not a team that had a good year and then dissappoint or "barely lost" as you put it...did you forget we did lose to Cincy..good teams don't do that

JRob has made good moves as well as bad...this year will be a telling year...unless we have more excuses

We went 11-5 and won the division a year after going 9-7 and sneaking into the playoffs. I don't call that disappointing, unless you expected them to win the SB. After the injuries we had, I certainly wasn't expecting a SB run. In fact, weren't we an underdog at home vs Balitmore? Seems like most people thought Baltimore had a better squad than we did.

The playoffs are largely a crap-shoot unless you have a truly elite QB like Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes. Rodgers and Brees have struggled to even make the AFC Championship.

We went 11-5 and won the division a year after going 9-7 and sneaking into the playoffs. I don't call that disappointing, unless you expected them to win the SB. After the injuries we had, I certainly wasn't expecting a SB run. In fact, weren't we an underdog at home vs Balitmore? Seems like most people thought Baltimore had a better squad than we did.

The playoffs are largely a crap-shoot unless you have a truly elite QB like Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes. Rodgers and Brees have struggled to even make the AFC Championship.
Rogers won’t make that AFC championship unless he’s traded. :brow:

Last edited by a moderator:

I expect s SB every year lol

I stand by my post. We are above average overall since he came on board. How much above average is apparently all over the board. I don’t know why above average is taken as an insult though by so many posters. We were clearly below average before he came.
Are you trying to say he is the Jeff Fisher of GMs? Gets to a certain point, which is an improvement, but then cant go any further?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back