Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 - 9-7 no playoffs
2017 - 9-7 won WC game
2018 - 9-7 no playoffs
2019 - 9-7 lost in AFCC game
2020 - 11-5 lost in WC game
2021 - 9-4 TBD

After 6 "winning seasons" a deeper playoff run should be expected...

Harold Landry, Denico Autry, and Jeff Simmons have been pretty damn good this year…

The problem with this argument is that it collapses on itself. “Elite GM’s don’t struggle with the same position groups every year”. “Elite GM would have won a championship by now”

So John Elway is an elite GM? Even though year after year he cannot get a competent QB on the roster? And routinely misses on 1st round picks? But because he won a championship one time he’s an elite GM?
JRob good not elite. IMO Elite is a term reserved for guys like Brady, Aaron Rogers belichek, who unquestionably make the difference in the team performance. GMs hard to fit in that category because they can only bring coaches and players in. And they are criticized harshly for fails like Dodd, Wilson, etc.

No GM can be considered elite unless they rarely if ever whiff with FA and draft picks and have multiple Conference and/or league championships.

JRob good not elite. IMO Elite is a term reserved for guys like Brady, Aaron Rogers belichek, who unquestionably make the difference in the team performance. GMs hard to fit in that category because they can only bring coaches and players in. And they are criticized harshly for fails like Dodd, Wilson, etc.

No GM can be considered elite unless they rarely if ever whiff with FA and draft picks and have multiple Conference and/or league championships.
Four 9-7 seasons out of 6 is not Elite, he's a good GM, definitely improved this team but the "Elite" label needs to stop

So let me ask, if the we get healthy and the Titans win the Super Bowl this year with this roster, will Jrob suddenly be elite? Will his imperfections suddenly not matter?

I think this roster CAN compete for a SB. We went from pretty much dead last to number 8 in wins under JRobs tenure. After this year, we should climb even higher. Has any other GM orchestrated a bigger turn around or results over the past 5 years?

You might not want to look at Bill’s draft track record then….

He can thank Brady for the championships.

Personally I think "elite" is a tag that can float from year to year. JRob could have an elite draft one year and then bomb another. He could have an elite free agent class but get bunch of bums for another.

For the record I would say jrob is good. Certainly can't call him elite until we at the very least make a superbowl. However we have been a perennial playoff team since his arrival, that's pretty damn good.

I would agree to say elite is pushing it as there are prob only 3 teams consistently every maintaining in competition every season. But he's been damn good with us. Biggest thing is culture. We have an identity as a team for what we want to play like.

We didn't always have that before. He may miss on draft picks like most gms but he's been consistent in the culture change where we are a tough team weekly. Let's see what happens end of this season. We have a chance to win it all, season is wide open.

So let me ask, if the we get healthy and the Titans win the Super Bowl this year with this roster, will Jrob suddenly be elite? Will his imperfections suddenly not matter?

I think this roster CAN compete for a SB. We went from pretty much dead last to number 8 in wins under JRobs tenure. After this year, we should climb even higher. Has any other GM orchestrated a bigger turn around or results over the past 5 years?
No...that moves him to very good..elite means consistency.

Was Floyd Reese considered elite?

You just made my point, thank you
Maybe you need to reexplain your point.

You laughed at the idea of 6 winning seasons because 4 were with the jags and Houston. To me, that means you think the titans only had winning records because of crap teams like hou/Jax handing wins over allowing Tennessee to break .500.

The reality is that Houston was the division winner multiple times over those 4 seasons and Jax was an AFCCG competitor during that run.

That should make the 9-7 seasons more impressive as they had to compete with a better division.

One draft class in 5 years as a GM?...awesome

Every draft class has produced at least 2 quality starters, aside from 2020 (not counting 2021 since it's to soon). And 2020 still produced Fulton, who has been one of the best CBs in the NFL this year. And Chris Jackson is a solid depth CB that filled in nicely while several guys were out. So even in his worst draft, we still got 1 top notch player out of it.

I would certainly consider JRob among the top GMs in the league. Whether that is "elite" or not is open for discussion. But given the GMs we have had previously, he might as well be the best GM of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every draft class has produced at least 2 quality starters, aside from 2020 (not counting 2021 since it's to soon). And 2020 still produced Fulton, who has been one of the best CBs in the NFL this year. And Chris Jackson is a solid depth CB that filled in nicely while several guys were out. So even in his worst draft, we still got 1 top notch player out of it.

I would certainly consider JRob among the top GMs in the league. Whether that is "elite" or not is open for discussion. But given the GMs we have had previously, he might as well be the best GM of all time.

Weaver, Molden, Rice will likely be the best value pieces taken (especially for rds selected) for 2021.

For the record I would say jrob is good. Certainly can't call him elite until we at the very least make a superbowl. However we have been a perennial playoff team since his arrival, that's pretty damn good.

And he brought in Vrabel. That was huge in changing the culture. And truthfully, Amy Strunk should be receiving some credit also for bringing in JRob. She has been a really good owner- committed to investing in the brand and the performance.

I would agree to say elite is pushing it as there are prob only 3 teams consistently every maintaining in competition every season. But he's been damn good with us. Biggest thing is culture. We have an identity as a team for what we want to play like.

We didn't always have that before. He may miss on draft picks like most gms but he's been consistent in the culture change where we are a tough team weekly. Let's see what happens end of this season. We have a chance to win it all, season is wide open.

I agree that JRob gets some culture change credit as he brought in Vrabel. And they appear to work well together. But I think Vrabel is the "boots on ground" main reason the culture has changed here. And Amy lets it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back