Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what I’m gathering is that most folks here are against running QB’s in general. Fields, Willis, etc. Which is interesting because this team has a long history of running QB’s. But it also has a long history of not winning Super Bowls, so there’s that.
Not sure I get the “history of running QBs”. McNair was but also developed an ability to throw from the pocket. VY was, did NOT develop an ability to throw and was terrible draft pick to begin with.

Was Locker or Mariota a “running QB”? I don’t think so but i suppose debatable. I’d said THill is not, Collins 100% couldn’t run to save his life, Volek wasn’t, mettenerger wasn’t, Hasselbeck/Fitzpatrick weren’t.

There is a very real possibility that the Chicago Bears will fall in love with Bryce Young or CJ Stroud and look to move Justin Fields before the draft. This would obviously be great for the Titans as it would deny one of those two players falls to the Colts.
But besides that silver lining, what about the idea of trading for Fields? The Bears have NO front 7 talent on defense and an insane amount of cap space. Might they be interested in Dupree and/or Cunningham as part of a trade that involves a Titans draft pick or two as well? Thoughts on what a trade could look like and how Fields might fit the Titans offense?
No friggin' way the Bears would have any interest in Dupree or Cunningham. With over $100 mil to spend, they'd like to sign a big impact pass rusher or 3-technique d-lineman (e.g. D Payne). Fill the other spot in the draft (Anderson/Carter). And they really like Fields, expecting him to become a much better passer once they improve the o-line (FA signing) and receiving corp. In Poles' (GM) own words he said he'd have to be "blown away" by a QB prospect before he'd consider trading Fields. B Young isn't that guy. Most Bear pundits (and fans) have them trading #1 to Indy for a haul. At #4, they pick whomever Ari doesn't pick between Anderson/Carter.

Last edited by a moderator:
First lemme say that I’m not advocating for this trade, I’m just raising it as a possibility. Secondly, they traded Roquon because Roquon had no interest in staying.
No. Bears didn't trade Roquan because he had no interest in staying. They traded him because during contract negotiations it was clear he wanted more money (e.g. $20mil) than Poles (GM) thought he was worth in the current Bears defensive scheme. R Smith was a team and fan favorite. His and Quinn's leaving had a negative effect in the lockerroom. The Ravens have a different D scheme where R Smith can play to his strengths (Will vs Mike LBs). Bears plugged an undrafted rookie (J Sanborn) into Smith's spot and Sanborn put up as good, if not better, stats than Smith did in that same LB spot.

Trading for a maybe slightly better Malik Willis? No thanks.

Dude... He's way better than Willis. Fields is basically another Lamar Jackson. Now you might feel they are overrated but they aren't bad QBs at all.

If anything, I don't want a QB like Lamar or Fields because I think their play style will keep them injured for multiple games every year.

Not sure I get the “history of running QBs”. McNair was but also developed an ability to throw from the pocket. VY was, did NOT develop an ability to throw and was terrible draft pick to begin with.

Was Locker or Mariota a “running QB”? I don’t think so but i suppose debatable. I’d said THill is not, Collins 100% couldn’t run to save his life, Volek wasn’t, mettenerger wasn’t, Hasselbeck/Fitzpatrick weren’t.
McNair, Young and Mariota were all running QB’s.

If we wanted someone to run the ball, just wildcat with Henry every play. Fields isnt a good QB and wouldn't want him in Tennessee, period.

Fields had over 3800 total yards, 25 Total TDs compared to only 13 TOs, 60% pass completion, 54.0 QBR (16th in the NFL).

And he did all that with absolute trash at his skill positions.

He is absolutely NOT a bad QB. How good he is up for debate. But there is no debate that he is an NFL caliber starting QB.

Fields had over 3800 total yards, 25 Total TDs compared to only 13 TOs, 60% pass completion, 54.0 QBR (16th in the NFL).

And he did all that with absolute trash at his skill positions.

He is absolutely NOT a bad QB. How good he is up for debate. But there is no debate that he is an NFL caliber starting QB.
2200 yards passing, 17 TDs 11 INTs doesn't scream NFL caliber starting QB. Very much up for debate considering he's a second year player and those arent exactly outstanding passing stats.

1500+ rushing yards screams NFL running back though.

Time will tell but so far, his running ability has outshined his ability to play QB (passing the ball).

2200 yards passing, 17 TDs 11 INTs doesn't scream NFL caliber starting QB. Very much up for debate considering he's a second year player and those arent exactly outstanding passing stats.

Time will tell but so far, his running ability has outshined his ability to play QB (passing the ball).

Rushing for a QB plays a part in today's NFL. This isn't the 90's anymore where your typical QB was a slow white guy that was a statue. Now, you see more and more QBs like Fields, Lamar, and Hurts finding success without being prolific passers.

The Bears were 19th in plays inside the Red Zone. And they were 23rd in scoring offense. And this was with Fields providing 90% of the offense because their skills players were shit.

He is absolutely a NFL caliber QB.

Rushing for a QB plays a part in today's NFL. This isn't the 90's anymore where your typical QB was a slow white guy that was a statue. Now, you see more and more QBs like Fields, Lamar, and Hurts finding success without being prolific passers.

The Bears were 19th in plays inside the Red Zone. And they were 23rd in scoring offense. And this was with Fields providing 90% of the offense because their skills players were ****.

Hasnt Tannehill gone as far and further than Fields and Lamar?

The Bears were 19th in plays inside the Red Zone. And they were 23rd in scoring offense. And this was with Fields providing 90% of the offense because their skills players were ****.

I agree it’s a PART. 1500 yards is more than part of his game.

I’d gladly take, and even prefer, a QB that runs for 300 yards but can throw.

and for your examples, Stafford, Burrow, Brady definitely don’t fit the mold of this new age running.

I’ll give some benefit to Fields, not an ideal team to throw on last year.

I'll agree mobility is a good thing for a QB to have but when it's all they have it becomes a problem.

The NFL also isn't college where QBs regularly rush for 1500 yards and 20 TDs. QBs have to be able to throw first and use the mobility as an additional threat.

Maybe Fields proves me and everyone else that sees him as a run first guy wrong... But right now, I don't think he scares teams with his arm.

Hasnt Tannehill gone as far and further than Fields and Lamar?

Like in the playoffs? Sure I guess. None of them have gone to the SB though, so I don't really think that's relevant. Also Tanne is 34 and has been pretty medicore for 2 years now. Even still, I'm not advocating we trade for Fields.

Where does it matter he how he got the yards? 3800 total yards is 3800 total yards, whether he ran for 1500 and passed for 2300 or passed for 3790 and ran for 10.

He accounted for 25 Total TDs this year. That's put him just outside the top 10 in TDs. Total turnovers of 13. That's about league average.

I'm not even saying he's a great QB. He's not. But he's world's better than Malik Willis and he's better than several starters in the league right now too.

Where does it matter he how he got the yards? 3800 total yards is 3800 total yards, whether he ran for 1500 and passed for 2300 or passed for 3790 and ran for 10.

He accounted for 25 Total TDs this year. That's put him just outside the top 10 in TDs. Total turnovers of 13. That's about league average.

I'm not even saying he's a great QB. He's not. But he's world's better than Malik Willis and he's better than several starters in the league right now too.

I get it to an extent, you want him to learn to be a pocket passer as well - as we've seen with Lamar being a prime example, you can only juke and run right by safeties and corners for so many years in your pro career --- and that's not even addressing the rash of injuries Lamar has seen the last 2 years.

But for anyone on this board to say they would not happy with Justin Fields for a few years (and if he pans out to be franchise, even better) with still some mobility tread left on him, a guy who has seen NFL defenses ---- or..... you can go the route of bringing in the QB's behind LEVIS --- like Richardson and beyond...... and set yourself up for a bust anyway....

And the funny thing is, you can't have it all three ways...... We either need to trade for Justin, Lamar, Aaron, etc....... Or sign Tom Brady or some other Free Agent due QB....... or reach for a project like Richardson and others..... I would take any odds that we don't get close to drafting Stroud, Young, or Levis unless we sell our draft future.

So make your decision.

Personally, I would like us to go after Brady - and we can still use our 1st rounder to grab our new LT, and build the OL. That way we can bridge to another year.

But I would be happy with a Fields trade, but the same concepts fall in line with both choices.... you're gonna have to build the OL with any first few picks you have.

Also ---- tag Simmons because just have more pressing things right now - including signing WR that can play on the outside w/ Burks -- Woods is not it, at this point he is strictly a slot, possession guy.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

roll with the perfectly serviceable QB on the roster instead of 'gadget' projects & has beens

Who on the roster is serviceable?

If we want Malik to learn, Tannehill is not the one you want doing it. And he's going to be way to expensive for his performance this year... Brady would be perfect to learn from for a yr for Malik.

Who on the roster is serviceable?

If we want Malik to learn, Tannehill is not the one you want doing it. And he's going to be way to expensive for his performance this year... Brady would be perfect to learn from for a yr for Malik.
Malik can kick rocks on the practice squad if he even sticks there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back