Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder why teams don't have a D HC and a O HC? Seems to be some negatives to having a defensive HC or an offensive HC...have one on each side and COLLABORATE!

The problem is the collaboration part... a team needs 1 leader who makes the big decisions and gets blamed for the mistakes

Who?

No clue who he was, but after look, I guess it's not a bad option. I would just prefer a vet coach with more experience. Seems like this dude does do a good job developing corners though. I'd be curious to know why the Eagles let him leave.

Also, per the article quoted, Ran has full control over the coaching staff? That seems peculiar.

Dennard Wilson - Wikipedia

1 thing I read that stuck out since he's the DB coach

Eagles
2022 (1st)
2023 (28th)

Ravens
2022 (23rd)
2023 (4th)

Not saying it's all him but it's attention grabbing

Whoops, that's pass defense

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a bit of a joke, as many accounts have described the 85 Bears of having just that, Ditka was the HC of the team, but Buddy was the HC of the defense.

It's why they carried him off the field just like the offense did with Ditka.
They did something right, can’t recall buddy swinging on his other coaches there.

They did something right, can’t recall buddy swinging on his other coaches there.

Buddy Ryan also got into a fight with Ditka.

As Jack Pardee said about him, “ Buddy Ryan always was an idiot “.

You have to ask yourself how good would that 85 Bears team be without all those HOFers and talent? Was it Buddy ? Or the immense amount of talent they had. They were loaded. That defense loved him and played hard for him no doubt about it.

That Bears offense doesn’t get the credit it deserves. They were a top 10 offense.

It wasn’t all defense.

Ran has oversight of the staff, not the selection of them. Supposedly part of the agreement with BC and Ran was that BC gets to pick his staff.
Oversight, like managerially, makes sense. This sounds like he might have control over hiring though. It could just be how it's written or how I interpreted it.

"Carthon was given control over the roster and coaching staff along with a promotion to executive vice president this week."

Eagles
2022 (1st)
2023 (28th)

Bengals
2022 (23rd)
2023 (4th)

Nice, but he coaches the Ravens, not Bengals. Was that a typo or did you look up the wrong team?

Oversight, like managerially, makes sense. This sounds like he might have control over hiring though. It could just be how it's written or how I interpreted it.

"Carthon was given control over the roster and coaching staff along with a promotion to executive vice president this week."

My take is after Vrabels refusal, it appears to change Coaches they gave Ran the authority to fire them. I think BC gets to hire them but of the FO doesn’t think they are working out Ran can fire them. That’s how I take it. Moving forward at least for now, the Titans are going with a system that takes power away from the HC. Just go Coach the team and win. Don’t worry about the other stuff. We will see if it works. It’s on Ran now. It’s all his.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buddy Ryan also got into a fight with Ditka.

As Jack Pardee said about him, “ Buddy Ryan always was an idiot “.

You have to ask yourself how good would that 85 Bears team be without all those HOFers and talent? Was it Buddy ? Or the immense amount of talent they had. They were loaded. That defense loved him and played hard for him no doubt about it.

That Bears offense doesn’t get the credit it deserves. They were a top 10 offense.

It wasn’t all defense.
I think it can be seen both ways. Talent sure but there’s a reason the 4-6 D became know too. Definitely a different approach than before and really since.
Buddy also had a top notch D in Philly.

plus I think that O went through Payton. McMahon was never all that good, that year was his career year with 15 TD and 2400 yards. Even for the 80’s, that’s pretty pedestrian. He played 11 games, Fuller played 5, combined they reached 3k, 16 TD. Gault did well in Oak but that year, meh.

My take is after Vrabels refusal, it appears to change Coaches they gave Ran the authority to fire them. I think NC gets to hire them but of the FO doesn’t think they are working out Ran can fire them. That’s how I take it. Moving forward at least for now, the Titans are going with a system that takes power away from the HC. Just go Coach the team and win. Don’t worry about the other stuff. We will see if it works. It’s on Ran now. It’s all his.
How it should be, imagine if we did it like this with Downing and all the bums with Vrabel from the beginning.

Eagles
2022 (1st)
2023 (28th)

Ravens
2022 (23rd)
2023 (4th)

Lol now that is a pretty eye-opening stat. Who knows how much can be accredited to the DB coach, but it's a good look.

I think it can be seen both ways. Talent sure but there’s a reason the 4-6 D became know too. Definitely a different approach than before and really since.
Buddy also had a top notch D in Philly.

plus I think that O went through Payton. McMahon was never all that good, that year was his career year with 15 TD and 2400 yards. Even for the 80’s, that’s pretty pedestrian. He played 11 games, Fuller played 5, combined they reached 3k, 16 TD. Gault did well in Oak but that year, meh.

No doubt. Payton was the offense. Over 2000 all purpose yards. McMahon was a game manager. But I think a lot of QBs were back then. You only had 1 QB throw for over 4000 yards.

I’m not taking away the creation of the 4-6 but he was a jerk. He didn’t win much and a lot of people didn’t like him. His Eagles defenses had Wade Philips as a DC and Jeff Fisher as DB coach. That’s pretty good.

I’m not a big fan of the Ryan family as a whole. Rob may be the best of the group.

No doubt. Payton was the offense. Over 2000 all purpose yards. McMahon was a game manager. But I think a lot of QBs were back then. You only had 1 QB throw for over 4000 yards.

I’m not taking away the creation of the 4-6 but he was a jerk. He didn’t win much and a lot of people didn’t like him. His Eagles defenses had Wade Philips as a DC and Jeff Fisher as DB coach. That’s pretty good.

I’m not a big fan of the Ryan family as a whole. Rob may be the best of the group.

TM, I would call you a 'contrarian,' but you'd probably just disagree with me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back