Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a bit of a joke, as many accounts have described the 85 Bears of having just that, Ditka was the HC of the team, but Buddy was the HC of the defense.

It's why they carried him off the field just like the offense did with Ditka.
Before I started watching football lol

No doubt. Payton was the offense. Over 2000 all purpose yards. McMahon was a game manager. But I think a lot of QBs were back then. You only had 1 QB throw for over 4000 yards.

I’m not taking away the creation of the 4-6 but he was a jerk. He didn’t win much and a lot of people didn’t like him. His Eagles defenses had Wade Philips as a DC and Jeff Fisher as DB coach. That’s pretty good.

I’m not a big fan of the Ryan family as a whole. Rob may be the best of the group.
I certainly won’t argue the jerk part. That seems like a family trait.
His kids also seem like the bellicheck tree, failures all around despite the success they supposedly learned from.

TM, I would call you a 'contrarian,' but you'd probably just disagree with me...

Yea… so contrarian means I’m taking the opposite view of popular opinion. Not just disagreeing. Let’s get that clear.

It’s popular opinion that Buddy Ryan was an egotistical pompous jerk who was brilliant at constructing a defense but got along with almost no one on coaching staffs. Which I think is what I said.

So curiously while it may be popular to question me, who is being contrarian?

Ran has oversight of the staff, not the selection of them. Supposedly part of the agreement with BC and Ran was that BC gets to pick his staff.
hopefully enough power to say... no your useless fishing buddy from Colgate cant be the OL coach... get back in there and try again Mike!

This is funny, just yesterday I was talking about how the Run and Shoot was my favorite era of Titans/Houston and I said "even with the coaches fighting on the sidelines".

I like Dennard Wilson, Ravens D is a good one. He has experience working with DBs which is a bonus for us.
Maybe he'll bring Queen to us

Oilers up 14 points and he is throwing punches at the OC.

Well, that's not really the whole story though, and you know it. Buddy had been critical of the 'chuck&duck' offense all season long for essentially exposing his defense to injuries on what he thought was the offense's inability to control the clock. So with 37 seconds left to go in the first half, sure enough the offense comes back onto the field, throws one incomplete pass, and then fumbles the ball away on a second straight pass attempt. With 24 seconds left on the clock and on the 20 yard line, Buddy's defense has to come back onto the field. Now, keep in mind that starting FS Marcus Robertson was already lost for the season on an earlier injury, as was his backup Bo Orlando. They were starting a journeyman at the FS position. I can't remember exactly when, but their starting SS Bubba McDowell had also broken a bone in his arm late in the season, and ended up playing against the Chiefs at about 75% health.

I'm pretty sure, in the same situation, I probably would have thrown a punch at Kevin Gilbride as well.

Well, that's not really the whole story though, and you know it. Buddy had been critical of the 'chuck&duck' offense all season long for essentially exposing his defense to injuries on what he thought was the offense's inability to control the clock. So with 37 seconds left to go in the first half, sure enough the offense comes back onto the field, throws one incomplete pass, and then fumbles the ball away on a second straight pass attempt. With 24 seconds left on the clock and on the 20 yard line, Buddy's defense has to come back onto the field. Now, keep in mind that starting FS Marcus Robertson was already lost for the season on an earlier injury, as was his backup Bo Orlando. They were starting a journeyman at the FS position. I can't remember exactly when, but their starting SS Bubba McDowell had also broken a bone in his arm late in the season, and ended up playing against the Chiefs at about 75% health.

I'm pretty sure, in the same situation, I probably would have thrown a punch at Kevin Gilbride as well.
Great recall
Mad props

Sure. The defensive guy wanted to sit on the ball to protect his defense and the offensive guy wanted to try and score again. Ryan and Gilbride hated each other. But the punch was a cheap shot. While they hated each other they had their respective units playing great eventually.

That 1993 season is probably the straw that broke the camels back and started the Oilers move to Nashville. After the Buffalo disaster and then collapsing again in the playoffs was too much for Bud to handle. That team should have won at least 1 Super Bowl, maybe more. It’s a shame.

Of course we all also know that Pardee was just along for the ride as “HC”.

Sure. The defensive guy wanted to sit on the ball to protect his defense and the offensive guy wanted to try and score again. Ryan and Gilbride hated each other. But the punch was a cheap shot. While they hated each other they had their respective units playing great eventually.

That 1993 season is probably the straw that broke the camels back and started the Oilers move to Nashville. After the Buffalo disaster and then collapsing again in the playoffs was too much for Bud to handle. That team should have won at least 1 Super Bowl, maybe more. It’s a shame.
I agree, we should have won a SB. The year we fell apart against Buffalo, with the crazy come back, I was convinced it was our year.

Of course we all also know that Pardee was just along for the ride as “HC”.

Maybe this was a joke that I remember from back then as the truth, but Pardee caught flack for not wearing a headset. So he started wearing one. But it was discovered that it was not connected and he wasn’t communicating with anyone. (They werent wireless back then, for the youngsters in the group )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back