Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were all set up to draft Matt Leinart out of USC instead of Young. At the time I really loved Vince and while he did have some exciting times as our QB, there's a part of me that wonders what might have been had we selected Matt. We would have had LenDale AND Norm Chow, his college OC in place. Would love to see how that would have played out.

He didn't succeed in Arizona with significantly more talent than he would've had to work with in Tennessee. Do you remember the cast of receivers that the Titans had then? Justin Gage, Roydell Williams, etc. Garbage.

Could you blame McNair though? If you recall, our front office had a falling out with McNair and banned him from the facility. I get it was a business decision, but you don’t treat your most iconic and beloved figure in franchise history like that.
McMVP pulled a stunt by showing up to training facility in that manner. Buss Cook tried the same stunt with Farve and msm called him out on it.. .with Titans msm cried the line you are spouting...

Could you blame McNair though? If you recall, our front office had a falling out with McNair and banned him from the facility. I get it was a business decision, but you don’t treat your most iconic and beloved figure in franchise history like that.

No, I don't blame Mac at all, and it was deplorable how his time with the franchise came to a close. Look, I'm not BLAMING Mac and Mase for leaving, even for leaving to become Ravens, I'm just saying that as a Titans fan, it svcks that they both ended their careers as Ravens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was rooting for leinart all the way. Different circumstances maybe, but probably wrong on my part.
Never wanted VY. It was easy to see what he was doing in college wouldn’t translate the the NFL.

I was not at the time, I definitely wanted Vince. He was just such a dynamic player in college where I literally watched him win games almost by himself - that OKST game comes to mind. It was as if he willed the Longhorns to wins - and I grew up hating the Longhorns! And he had some great moments here. But looking back I see now how the road was literally paved for Leinart, so yeah I'd like to view into that parallel universe where we took Matt.

Even in hindsight, VY had the biggest upside out of Leinart and Cutler, so it was the right pick. No one could have predicted VY’s mental breakdown pre-draft. The blame also falls on Fisher to be honest, it was obvious Fisher never had his back and was never his quarterback. If you take a QB 3rd overall to be your franchise player, you build an offense specifically that plays to his strengths and we didn’t do that.

Agree with this 100%. I completely believe that Fisher absolutely did not want VY to be his QB.

Agree with this 100%. I completely believe that Fisher absolutely did not want VY to be his QB.
Vy could have been dope if we built a team around him and didn't try to pigeon hole him into being a traditional pocket passer because that's what Fisher wanted. Frustrating.

He didn't succeed in Arizona with significantly more talent than he would've had to work with in Tennessee. Do you remember the cast of receivers that the Titans had then? Justin Gage, Roydell Williams, etc. Garbage.

How dare you disparage the memory of Brandon... Brandon... Brandon... uh... um... Brandon... Johnson? Jeffries? Brandon James? Brandon Britt?

(looks up 2005 Titans roster)

JONES! Brandon JONES! How dare you disparage that... um, that guy!?

Vy could have been dope if we built a team around him and didn't try to pigeon hole him into being a traditional pocket passer because that's what Fisher wanted. Frustrating.
OR mr 'aints nobodys gonna teach me nuffins' dude could have accepted the opportunity as it was not how the Diva wished it was. But we all now know single digit wonderluck boy was incapable of doing this

Even in hindsight, VY had the biggest upside out of Leinart and Cutler, so it was the right pick. No one could have predicted VY’s mental breakdown pre-draft. The blame also falls on Fisher to be honest, it was obvious Fisher never had his back and was never his quarterback. If you take a QB 3rd overall to be your franchise player, you build an offense specifically that plays to his strengths and we didn’t do that.
I disagree but understand the excitement around VY. His highest upside as a QB was never going to be very high regardless of the other 2. Hindsight now tells us that he just wasn’t in the same league as Cutler and he should have been the choice.

How dare you disparage the memory of Brandon... Brandon... Brandon... uh... um... Brandon... Johnson? Jeffries? Brandon James? Brandon Britt?

(looks up 2005 Titans roster)

JONES! Brandon JONES! How dare you disparage that... um, that guy!?
Wasn’t Calico there too? He had that 1 time where he looked like an NFL WR.

OR mr 'aints nobodys gonna teach me nuffins' dude could have accepted the opportunity as it was not how the Diva wished it was. But we all now know single digit wonderluck boy was incapable of doing this
I think Bud had an effect on the diva-ism. That was Bud’s guy all the way for both the draft pick and forced starter before ready.

I disagree but understand the excitement around VY. His highest upside as a QB was never going to be very high regardless of the other 2. Hindsight now tells us that he just wasn’t in the same league as Cutler and he should have been the choice.
my memory of situation

Reese wanted Cutler
fishface wanted Leinheart
Bud wanted VY.... Titans went with the guy that signs the checks

Last edited by a moderator:
HOUSTON: Floyd Reese, the general manager, loves Steve McNair. Coach Jeff Fisher wants defense. Long Term: STEVE McNAIR, QB, Alcorn State.

Pree good for a titans qb in general. Considering the roster and especially the oline he has had that's pretty real good
These kinds of stats are so misleading, IMO. His QBR is currently 36.1 which ranks him 29th just ahead of Bryce Young and lower than Mac Jones.

Levis is a work in progress. He clearly has all the tools to be special. But he made some bad decisions yesterday including missing a wide open Hopkins for an easy TD which would have blown the game open. It's to be expected from a young QB but, IMO, he's doing enough to cool the draft a QB talk right now and, hopefully, will totally remove it by seasons end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back