Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a reliable source. Cook was informed about the situation beforehand. He "says" that the thought it was an April Fool's joke. He advised Steve to show up at the facility, but warned him that he may not be able to work out.

Steve understands that this is a business. He saw the way that Eddie was dealt with and he is concerned that Hopkins was released. He is not taking this as a personal dig because he knows that every player faces this at one time or another in their career.

Afterall, Baltimore isn't such a bad place to live. Only a train ride away from D.C. Samari and Mase are there.....

Up to this point I was very skeptical of how the Titans handled their business. Classy organizations don't proceed in this manner. Ask your quarterback to leave the premises???? This is shabby at best. As for a reminder, Steve was prompted to restructure his contract on numerous occasions which is what brought them to this point.

Steve will be elsewhere next season. Hopefully with a contender instead of a pretender.

Bennett83 said:
McNair has never taken a paycut. Merely had his money restructured. :greedy:

For the team.

McNair is scheduled to make $10 million in 2006, including a $1 million team penalty because the Titans declined to exercise a three-year option. His salary cap charge is almost $24 million, and the team is trying to get McNair to restructure his deal. It has been speculated that the team could release the quarterback if there is not a new contract in place in the near future.

"The reason his cap number is $24 million is because they kept asking him to restructure every year to create space," Cook said. "This guy has done everything for the team, and he has two or three really good years left. Now, they treat him like this."

alstate75 said:
Steve was prompted to restructure his contract on numerous occasions which is what brought them to this point.

Steve will be elsewhere next season. Hopefully with a contender instead of a pretender.

you act like McNair didn't get his money, yes he restructured his contract and got that money up front. It was put in the bank and made more money. He didn't lose anything

So you think the Ravens are contenders:sad2:

Soxcat said:
If McNair's track record for injury was more like Manning's maybe they don't have an issue but considering he could blow out a calf or something and ruin their plans they are trying to "protect" their 9 million.
Are you serious?

How many NFL players a year get hurt during offseason workouts? Can't what the trainers do with McNair be somewhat limited to avoid injury risk? Do we want McNair working out under the guidence of a professional trainer or at his own home?

Let's assume any risk is too much of a risk. It was still handled poorly. This was clearly a move by the Titans front office to send a message. Don't be shocked if it blows up in their face.

Starkiller said:
Either way, Steve is going to be gone by the time this team is going to be competitive again. So maybe they think it's better to be now rather than later, and perhaps get some draft pick as compensation, get their rookie QB more work this year, and save $10M in cap money.

I've always been a huge McNair fan, and I think he can still play, but maybe it would be better for the Titans in the long run. And personally, I'm a Titans fan more than I'm a fan of any individual player.

Quite right ... players and coaches all come and all go eventually .. never a good idea to get too hung up about it, thank them for their time and efforts and move on.

Guig

MsTitan said:
McNair is scheduled to make $10 million in 2006, including a $1 million team penalty because the Titans declined to exercise a three-year option.

That option was ridiculous... $50 million. It was funny money, and everyone knew he was never going to see it. Floyd Reese knew, Bus Cook knew, and Steve knew. To say he should be offended because we declined to pick up his option is retarded.

GoT said:
McMVP ain't exactly blameless in this scenario

Why is it McNair's fault that the Titans agreed to pay him 9 million dollars. If they knew they did not want to pay him they should haven't signed the agreement. If they they thought they would have wanted to too and have now changed their minds then that sounds like a bad business decisions. McNair was cool with original agreement. He restructed to help the Titans. This contract was signed years ago. McNair is only trying to play out his cnotract. What is wrong with that?

MsTitan said:
Why is it McNair's fault that the Titans agreed to pay him 9 million dollars. If they knew they did not want to pay him they should haven't signed the agreement. If they they thought they would have wanted to too and have now changed their minds then that sounds like a bad business decisions. McNair was cool with original agreement. He restructed to help the Titans. This contract was signed years ago. McNair is only trying to play out his cnotract. What is wrong with that?

a) Contracts are backloaded all the time. This is done at the request of the agents and players, because it makes the deals look better than they really are. Its an ego boost. Its kinda silly, but its the way the game is played.

b) If McNair was playing at the level he was 3 years ago, then he might be worth 9 million dollars. But he's not. He's not a top 10 QB. The only reason he went to the Pro Bowl this year is because several players in front of him turned it down.

i believe that it is wrong the way the titans are handling the situation. assuming everything were hearing is true. i'm as big a mcnair fan as anybody. but as fans that pay for our season tickets, do we want what is best for mcnair or what is best for the team. i took my camera to the last game of the season this past year because i believed it was macs last game as a titan. i hope i am wrong and they work something out, but not at the expense of hurting the teams salary cap for the next few years.

nigel said:
a) Contracts are backloaded all the time. This is done at the request of the agents and players, because it makes the deals look better than they really are. Its an ego boost. Its kinda silly, but its the way the game is played.

What???

Contracts are backloaded because teams know that they will never have to honor them.

This whole situation is a Owner initiated Lock-out, plain and simple. People blaming the agent for making this somehow more "theatric" seem to miss the point that that is exactly what an agent gets paid to do. It's funny to see people sticking up for Bud Adams, who has a very, very long history of being a complete and utter a-hole, to both his players and the cities that host/support his football team. If the shoe was on the other foot, and McNair had tried to pull a TO and refuse to workout until his contract was settled, these same people would be having seizures. But when good ol' Bud Adams decides to play hardball (while the staff just happens to be away), well then, that's just good bid'ness???? To anyone that thinks this is somehow a wise move, your nutz. It just makes everyone look bad.

Certainly seems to pave the way for Leinart though, wonder what Cutler is thinking about his choice of agents about now?

TitanJeff said:
How many NFL players a year get hurt during offseason workouts? Can't what the trainers do with McNair be somewhat limited to avoid injury risk? Do we want McNair working out under the guidence of a professional trainer or at his own home?

Absolutely. Put him on an exercise bike and tell him he's not allowed to go faster than 10mph. Your whole PR issue has dissapeared.

homerxsimpson said:
......these same people would be having seizures.......

That is a huge assumption.

No one was privilieged to the conversation between Steve Underwood and Bus Cook except Bus Cook. He responded by taking it to the media. It was Cook's action/choice to publicize the event. It is naive to think that the Titans would "throw McNair to the wind" just because they can. The Titans have as much business interest and rights in the relationship as does Steve, but it wasn't Steve Underwood that took the story to the media.

I maintain that Cook did this in an effort to garner leverage in the contract talks by inciting sympathy and rage from the public- very similar to the Brett Farve situation in Green Bay. If it works great, if it doesn't-Steve makes a public statement and comes away clean. It's a low risk, desperate move Cook is making for his client. Nothing more, nothing less.

I disagree about the way Titans handled this. They asked him not to work out at the facility until the contract situation was worked out. They had the team rep, Steve Underwood, call Bus Cook. Then suddenly, after a couple of weeks, Mac shows up at the facility. Many teams have requested players who are in a contract negotiation not to work out at the facility. It was Cook that said McNair wasn't willing to mentor a QB, but yet apparently that was wrong. It is now Cook that sent Mac, with or without his knowledge, to BSP knowing that he wouldn't be allowed to work out. The PR mess is on Cook, not the Titans.

Attention all players with a $1M salary or more..

There will be no between season exercises of any kind. No weights, no running, no physical activity of any kind.

You may get injured and we would have to pay.

Signed-- the management!

I've always loved this team because I have felt it had the class that other teams did not.. You never heard of Titans beating their wives or getting busted with cociane or stabbing someone, but in the past few years those "Thug" things have affected this team and it's sad to see.. I always took pride in our guys not playing on "work release"...Maybe it was just kept quiet in years past but I always took pride in the Titans not being in the news with Ray lewis and others like him...
I know this doesn't pertain to the Mcnair fiasco directly but the FO needs to set aside the BS and remember that There is alot to be said for a team that treats their players with respect, and shows loyalty to the guys who've done what Mcnair and others like him have done.. I understand the business aspect on the titans end and the need to be protected from being liable for the $, but look at Adams track record, he hasn't built a reputation on doing the right thing for anyone els other then himself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back