Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vigsted said:
I honestly can't believe some people are still totally glossing over the fact the Bus Cook instigated this whole deal.

The Titans FO told Steve he couldn't workout at the facility until contract negotiations were over with. This is a fairly straight forward business to a) force the other part back to the negotiating table and b) protect themselves from being forced to honor a contract they don't wish to honor.

Bus then fails to inform McNair (or possibly McNair actually knew already) and he goes to the facilities only to be told he can't work out until the contract situation is resolved. Cook then calls a few newspaper and tries to make the Titans FO look bad (notice he even lied in the ESPN article, claiming there was no warning, when he later admits Steve Underwood called him personally and told him).

Steve and Bus startet this whole hardball stance by demanding $10mill this year and refusing to negotiate a restructured contract, unless it was a multiyear deal, which obviously the Titans are not interested in. Now the FO decided to use the same kind of hardball tactics, and I can't blame them one bit.

I agree, sounds like Bus is trying to force a release and is trying cause a riff between the titans and mcnair. Im sorry, but you cant really blame the titans for not wanting McNair to work out until they figure out his contract situation.

Brian said:
I root for the uniform, not the name on the back of it.

$9M is a lot of money to risk.

the $9mil is already guarateed as you know

hell, he can sustain injury at anytime - mini-camp- training camp- band camp ..... these voluntary workouts are very low impact

this was a message ... other than "we don't want you to get hurt"

This all a game between Cook And Reese designed to make one side look better than the other however it appears Cook won this round. Its all a part of the system in todays NFL that teams perpetuate by redoing contracts over and over during the players career. All the parties(GM's, agents players, coaches and fans) know the day will come when a huge cap# will have to be faced and the Titans have proven over and over that they are going to be tough to deal with when that day comes. At this point whats really important is that the Titans have a plan whether thats to release McNair or resign him they have to do whats in the teams best interest.

Puck said:
R-E-L-E-A-S-E
find out what it means to Steve
heee heee......heee heee

The writing is clearly on the wall

Not exactly.

Keeping McNair injury free keeps the contract negotiations going, trade-able.

Having him injured means garanteed contract, untrade-able, no negotiations and injury settlement on release if we go that way.

fltitan said:
This all a game between Cook And Reese designed to make one side look better than the other however it appears Cook won this round.
Why, because you have a bunch of fans over-reacting without knowing the facts or the process? They're already backtracking.

Vigsted said:
Yes, in an article on The Tennessean he admits Steve Underwoord called him personally.
So this does appear to be a planned event by Bus. Did McNair know before he arrived?

Regardless, it was handled poorly. The Titans were asking for a bigger commitment from McNair and now they lock the door on him? It makes no sense.

Reese better get all parties involved in for a meeting quickly and get this settled.

TitanJeff said:
Protect from what? He is under contract. If Adams has an issue with players getting injured during structured offseason workouts, he should cancel it. It's total BS that McNair be asked to leave and especially how it was handled.

If McNair had stayed in Mississippi "to send a message" and skipped the workouts, we'd be ripping him to sheds here. This was a total and complete no class move by Bud Adams and the Titans.

Look at how Hopkins was treated and it doesn't take much to see the Titans front office is lacking when it comes to public relations these days.

I guess if McNair wasn't under contract we wouldn't care if he got injured.
If McNair's track record for injury was more like Manning's maybe they don't have an issue but considering he could blow out a calf or something and ruin their plans they are trying to "protect" their 9 million. McNair is the one playing hardball and he is reaping what he sowed. By sticking to his guns on wanting a 20 million contract for the next two years he has made himself expendable. Didn't something like this happen with EG?

And another thing. Everyone thought it was "classless" what was done with Hopkins but Hopkins is only going to be a backup for the Titans. Thus the vet minimum was very appropriate. He sure isn't getting alot of attention anywhere else in the league.

TitanJeff said:
So this does appear to be a planned event by Bus. Did McNair know before he arrived?

I think this is the interesting/potentially sad question. But, I doubt there's any way for us to know.

TitanJeff said:

Regardless, it was handled poorly. The Titans were asking for a bigger commitment from McNair and now they lock the door on him? It makes no sense.

Reese better get all parties involved in for a meeting quickly and get this settled.

WHy doesnt it make sense? Why would the titans want to risk Mcnair getting hurt and really reducing their options here? THey are obviously serious about renegotiating his contract, so there is no reason in the world they should let him workout and risk injury, until they get the contract resolved. All the drama associated with this seems to be from Bus Cook, not the titans side. And without all the drama, this is really just a part of the renegotiating process and not a big story at all. Its Bus Cook making it worse than it is IMO.

For some reason this didnt dawn on me when I first heard it this morning... maybe cuz it was 5:30 and I'm usually still asleep then (stupid airport dropoff)...

This is not the first time a NFL player who is under contract has been asked to stay away from workouts because the team doesnt want him to get injured and be liable for his contract. If memory serves though, every other time, its been because the player was about to be traded or released.

The more I think about this, the more I think we've already seen Steven don the two tone blue for the last time. I hope I'm wrong.

I think it was blown way our of proportion by his agent...bus cook. Do we have another freaking Michael hayghue or Rosenhaus now? Remember those sharks?

I've got to think (and hope) that the Titans FO have every intention of Steve being under centre on opening day.

I'd hate to think we'd release McNair and get nothing in return. If they were going to trade him they should have done it weeks ago. The number of teams in the market for a starting QB (particularly a banged up 30+ starting QB) is very small now.

I know the Ravens were looking at Kerry Collins, but I'm not convinced they'd give up a high draft choice (which seems to be what everyone is expecting) in return for McNair.

I could see them offerng their 5th rounder for Volek to back up (and possible compete with) Boller. But at the same time, Billick said Boller was on trial to see if he could be their starting QB at the end of last season, and because of his improved play he got the gig. I think Billick is arrogant enough that he thinks he can make that work.

Clearly there was a breakdown in dialogue from Cook's standpoint. The Titans have never "dealt" with Steve this way. Something in the discussions- the tone or maybe the content, threatened the FO of the possibility of an injury (real or not). The FO made the right business decision.

Cook took it to the media in hopes to re-capture some leverage by generating fan sympathy/outrage. Cook being a decent agent realizes it is a low risk gamble for Steve b/c he can say it all his (Cook's) idea if it back-fires. Cook allowing Steve to "press the issue" by showing up is the sign of a desparate move.

I would be surprised if we don't hear from Steve by tomorrow AM.

Others have posted this quote from the article in today's Tennessean:

"Cook said he received a call from Titans General Counsel Steve Underwood yesterday informing him that McNair would be told to leave the facility when he showed up for the team's voluntary offseason conditioning program."

Don't you think that after Bus Cook talked with Steve Underwood, he immediately called Mac? And maybe told him to go on over to BSP so Cook could spin this story to his advantage?

Sunshine said:
Others have posted this quote from the article in today's Tennessean:

"Cook said he received a call from Titans General Counsel Steve Underwood yesterday informing him that McNair would be told to leave the facility when he showed up for the team's voluntary offseason conditioning program."

Don't you think that after Bus Cook talked with Steve Underwood, he immediately called Mac? And maybe told him to go on over to BSP so Cook could spin this story to his advantage?

I have no doubt he told Steve to go to the BSP. I'm not sure if Steve was a knowing participant in Cook's "if the glove don't fit- must acquit" antics.

It was a low-risk desparate move by Cook to garner leverage with fan sympathy/outrage. Tennessee ain't Green Bay.

if i were steve i would have said **** you i am leaving if this is the way that you are gonna treat me AND TO BE HONEST, I DON'T BLAME HIM IF HE DOES LEAVE! there are other ways to handle this, and kicking steve out of the practice facility while he is still under contract is not one of them, AND ITS ALSO DEGRADING AND DISRESPECTFUL! this man he laid out his guts on the feild for the past 11 years for us, just to give us that one extra yard, and a chance at a championship he has played WHEN HE COULDN'T EVEN GET OUT OF BED THAT SAME MORNING TO GIVE THIS TEAM A CHANCE AT VICTORY AND THIS IS THE THANKS HE GETS! you mean to tell me that i pull for an organization that treats its players like this?! WOW, WHAT CRAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back