Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Get Low at the dollar movie last weekend. Pretty good, especially when compared to some of the other choices that were out there. Why is it that I can never remember Robert Duvall's name??

Martyrs was one of the most absurd films I've ever seen. Although, I can't say Martyrs was good in any way, shape or fashion but I can say that it was a crowning achievement for horror and genre films.

If I can deem a film "important" but didn't like it (i.e. Enter the Void)...it is probably going to have a lasting impression for many years to come. Hell, people that Salo was a piece of garbage back in the day and look at it now.

By the way, the French are doing horror right. Films like 'Inside', 'Frontiers', and 'High Tension' still resonate with me.

I'm only a casual horror fan so I haven't been exposed to much other than the hollywood stuff like Saw, Hostel, etc... They usually don't impress me, just a bunch of cranberry sauce with no real substance. Even the infamous Cannibal Holocaust was a snoozefest to me. But I actually liked the first SAW, unlike the others, they didn't just throw in a bunch of blood and gore to mask the lack of a real script. What made the first one so great was the simplicity, just two dudes in a bathroom and a puzzle. No far-fetched traps, B-listed cops taking way too much screen time, excessive amount of guts spewing out. Not everyone might agree, but I liked SAW better when it looked like a great low-budget, college film-class project.

Anyway, Martyrs was a breath of fresh air because it was a horror that both frightened and moved me. And I heard they were making an American remake soon...damn it. Way to ruin a potential classic.

If given the option to bone Portman or Fox who would you choose?

Neither have STDs (for the sake of this question).

Natalie-Portman-64.jpg

Definitely Natalie (toss in Mila for good measure).
Megan Fox is gonna look like a fried monkey in a few short years - not that I'm obsessed with looks, but add that to her basically being a walking mannequin already...

Grandma's Boy (2006), my favorite comedy of the past decade.

If you are a fan of the wacky tobaccy and/or video games and/or Nick Swardson you owe it to yourself to see this movie.

Brothers - Pretty good movie. Acting was great from both Gyllenhall and McGuire. It was hard to take McGuire seriously looking 110lbs at most, but still... great showing. I'd say if anyone was questioning whether to go in to the military and has a family, this would give them an answer really quick.

Dorian Gray - I really wanted to see this a while back, but it was a disappointment. Just very bland overall and nothing like what I expected. Colin Firth still hasn't convinced me that he's worth the hype.

Rango - First film I've seen in 2011 calendar year, and it sure is a fun one. Directed by Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean series, The Ring (U.S.), it's the tale of a chameleon's wacky and surreal adventure in the Mojave desert, one of which takes him on a journey of identity. Pretty standard fare plot and theme wise, Rango severely indulges itself as a love letter to the spaghetti western, as well as the post-apocalyptic fantasy films as well. This can both be a blessing and a curse, but more often times, it comes off as endearing rather than cliche.

And boy does this film love to reference other films. The most notable ones are of course Sergio Leone westerns and Chinatown, but there are some very fun homages to The Road Warrior, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, and a few other surprises. It's the later references that are usually the most fun and surreal.

As stated earlier, the plot is nothing too impressive - you'll see the mystery antagonists and solution to the tounge-and-cheek, mystical water shortage from miles away. But like many stories, it's often not about the end result, but how you get there. And for the most part, Rango delivers. Characters are often genuinely funny and bizarre - not as awkward as the wonderful ones found in the recent Fantastic Mr. Fox, but fun in their own sort of way. Depp himself does a nice job with the titular character, and refreshingly, doesn't fall into Jack Sparrow-shenanigans at any point. The rest of the cast is good - not great, but good.

Visually, the film is stunning. It approaches photo-realism at so many points, it is occasionally unsettling. Jarring even. Truly one of the most gorgeously crafted animation films ever made. The bar has been raised. But not just beautiful to look at, Verbenski chooses some very surreal and abstract scenarios to play with. This is especially present in the first 30 or so minutes of the film, and this is probably where the film is at it's strongest. Rango's initial wanderings of the desert are brilliant in its bizarreness. It's actually too bad this sort of dwindled down when the plot starts rolling, because it was here where the film seemed most comfortable and interesting.

It's a very good movie that could have been brilliant. I think it's primed to become a cult film down the line (I know - the very definition of cult is that you can't attempt to determine that at the time of it's release). But everything to the pause-worthy jokes (and there are quite a few that I've written down) to the beautiful-but-occasionally odd visuals really do make this film a quirky, interesting exercise.

4.5/5 (It's probably a 4/5 film from me, but the visuals pushed up half a grade - no, I very rarely do that for visuals alone and yes, they are that engaging to look at).

I got Hall Pass last night and watched it, it was ok....early on it has really funny parts that make you think it's only going to get better, but it pretty much mellows out. Almost like they ran out of funny things to say and just started killing time. the penis shots were disturbing but at least they showed a nice pair of boobies. overall it's worth a rental and would be best watched with more people. prob would have been great watching it in a theater. i give it a 7.5/10

I watched Paul last night, fun movie! the actors arent all that in this movie, but Paul is a trip! Seth Rogen was a great voice cast for Paul. It's pretty damn funny! it'll be a classic for sure. 8/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back