Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched National Treasure 2 last night with the kids.

I found it entertaining though they play around a lot with history and you have to totally block reality to buy into the plot. If you liked the first, you'll likely like this one too.

I'd give it 7/10.

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog :thumb: :applause:

8/10

200px-

Great cast. (even Justin Timberlake, which is why I was avoiding it) True story. I found myself invested in the characters in this tragic story, especially Zach.

Plot outline: A drama based on the life of Jesse James Hollywood, a drug dealer who became one of the youngest men ever to be on the FBI's most wanted list.

Before The Devil Knows Your Dead

0/10 :banned:

Save yourself from wasting 1hr 53 minutes of your life on this turd.

It was one of the most miserable ,boring & depressing films I've ever seen.

The Life of David Gale.....an old Kevin Spacey movie.

Watched this for the 1st time yesterday.A little too easy to figure it out before the end but an excellent movie all the same.

8.5/10 :thumb: :thumb:

I just watched Before The Devil Knows You're Dead as well Childress.
I give it a 6/10. Many people loved this movie, but it was a bit boring in my opinion. Philip Seymour saves it from being a 5/10.
I'd recommend people watch it though, because more people like it than not. Check it on rottentomatoes.com.

caught The Departed in my hotel room (VEGAS - CES) last night
I was just about to submit myself to sleep but decided to watch instead
and was not disappointed

stellar collection of actors
loved Wahlberg's gritty "F-you" character
DiCaprio not one of my favorites but did an excellent job
Nicholson was brilliant
Martin Sheen and Alec Baldwin were also very good (esp. Baldwin)

would have to at least give it an A-

Departed.jpg

:thumb::thumb::thumb: out of 3

Childress79 said:
No love for Damon's acting too?

He gets a lot of flack for being one dimensional but he was brilliant in the departed.

his performance (possibly because of the character itself) was not near as impressive as DiCaprio, Nicholson, Wahlberg or Baldwin (imo)

there really wasn't any bad acting in the film
some were just better than others

Gunny said:
How's he one dimensional?

Bourne, Departed, Mr Ripley, Good Will Hunting. All different types of characters.

I like him but in the past he's had bad press. The effort he put into a small role in Courage Under Fire blew me away.He lost so much weight for the part he almost caused himself permanent harm. Not bright but impressive suffering for his art

Puck said:
DiCaprio not one of my favorites but did an excellent job

Not one of my favorites either, but really liked his role in this movie. Now his accent in Blood Diamond....oh I wanted to punch him in the throat.

I saw Planet Terror recently. "Look how gory we can be!" .....uh, ok....until you overdo the hell out of it. It had some good moments, but was overall just so so. Oh well, maybe my hopes were a little too high.

Childress79 said:

He lost so much weight for the part he almost caused himself permanent harm. Not bright but impressive suffering for his art

Not quite as far as Christian Bale in The Machinist:
stickman.jpg

Damon's best acting by far....
Team America World Police
damon_team_america.jpg

Watched a bunch of stuff over the holidays.

Mr Roper - quirky, dark and at times quite funny. Great performances from an interesting cast. I'd definitely recommend it.

Grindhouse: Death Proof/Planet Terror - I really enjoyed both of these campy tributes to 70's drive-in schlock. The Planet Terror release features an audience track that allows you to hear the theatre audiences reaction as you watch the flick (great idea for such a gruesome film)

Rescue Dawn - pretty straight forward flick by one of my fave directors. The film tells the story of Dieter Dengler who was featured previously in Herzog's documentary "Little Dieter Needs to Fly". I love almost everything about the film with the exception of how Herzog did the ending, but in listening to the director's commentary track, Herzog explains his choices regarding the films final 15 minutes and honestly, while it doesn't improve the final sequences it certainly makes his style choices more understandable. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the amazing performances put in by Steve Zahn, Jeremy Davis and Christian Bale . Herzog's quest for reality and immediacy in his films puts his actors through hell, and all involved in the feature seemed to embrace this and try to appreciate the process of making the film as a life altering experience.

I also picked up the Blade Runner 5 disk craptacular that was released in December and was blown away by it. The documentary contained in the set called "Dangerous Days: The Making of Blade Runner" alone was worth the purchase price. Filled with interviews with the cast and crew this doc offers first hand accounts of the trouble filled production. I was pleasantly surprised that Harrison Ford was in the feature, in the past he'd been reluctant to discuss his experience on Blade Runner.

Of course the film itself is still breath-taking and likely the last big-budget in camera sci-fi film ever to be shot. 25 years later it not only holds up, but puts many of it's contemporary CGI filled Sci-fi brethren to shame.

--------------SPOLIER ALERT---------------------

This new package contains all four cuts of the film (original domestic cut, international cut, director's cut and the recently released "final cut"). As Scott gets closer to his original uncomproimised idea of what the film should have been, it becomes clear that in his mind Ford's lead character Deckert was indeed a replicant (which certainly was not the case in Phil Dick's original short story). I've always been of the opinion that it really doesn't matter if Deckert was a replicant or human (wasn't that the whole point of the movie). I think it's Ruetger Hauer's brilliant performance as Roy Baty (as Oscar worthy as any I've seen) that makes the movie work. Hauer's ability to humanize Baty during a sequence in which he's hunting down the up until then fairly sympathetic lead makes the whole "is Deckert a replicant?" debate moot. Clearly these are fully formed beings, capable of humor, reflection and empathy. If anything, Hauer's Baty is a much more humane character than the mercenary Ford portrays (or most of the other humans portrayed in the film).

I can't recommend this DVD package enough. For me this long overdue, 5 star treatment of this sci-fi classic was the best release of 2007

Gunny said:
How's he one dimensional?

Bourne, Departed, Mr Ripley, Good Will Hunting. All different types of characters.

He's not, and he's not a bad actor. Not sure how he's hated so much, while people praise horrible actors like Eastwood, and mediocre actors like Denzel, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back