Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Funny Games was a good movie. It was violent but it was done well. The wife found it disturbing and awful, but she is wanting to go see Mama Mia..... boo ABBA sucks.

I thought it was well done as well - just don't know if I would watch it again anytime soon although it didn't make me feel as sick inside at The Girl Next Door did.. That movie was just WRONG!

I thought it was well done as well - just don't know if I would watch it again anytime soon although it didn't make me feel as sick inside at The Girl Next Door did.. That movie was just WRONG!

That's strange, I thought the girl next door was surprisingly good. A lot of really funny things about high school taken to the extreme.

The Dark Knight:

Just got back, and I must say, this was the best film I've seen since last years spectacular No Country For Old Men. This film defies conventional boundaries of the comic-book adaptation; this is entirely new beast created by Nolan and company. This film will be mentioned as such modern-classic crime epics as Heat and The Departed.

I know many film buffs have been waiting for Nolan to create his first real masterpiece (The Prestige and Momento come close in my mind), and this I believe is his first legitimate foray into that category. The themes and characters crafted are so wonderfully executed into carefully woven archetypes that are more complex than you'd expect from any piece of modern cinema, let alone a comic book. While Bale and Eckhart are incredibly solid in this, it is really Oldman and of course Ledger that truly transcend that fine line between great performance and truly special. Believe the hype about Ledger's Joker; he doesn't steal every scene he's in, he steals every single moment he is on screen. His mannerisms, delivery, and overall aura of complete chaos are truly something to behold, and in my mind, one of the most alluring performances by a single actor I've seen in some time. You owe it to yourself just to watch him in his craft and create a character that audiences will be talking about decades from now. It honestly was that good in my mind.

Bottom-line, it doesn't matter how much concern you had about this movie living up to the hype. It will exceed it all and grab you by the collar, demanding more viewings (which I know I'll do down the line).

Grade: A

That's strange, I thought the girl next door was surprisingly good. A lot of really funny things about high school taken to the extreme.

Woops..
Not that Elisha Cuthbert teen flick - same name though..
GirlNextDoorFlat.jpg

Momento (2000)

200px-Memento_poster.jpg

9.5/10 - :thumb: :thumb:

8 years old, but I'd still hadn't seen it until a friend of mine let me borrow his copy. I wouldn't put this up here if it wasn't all that.

Best to check the plot line here: Momento (2000) @ imdb.com

Note: It has Carrie-Anne Moss & Joe Pantoliano, actors from the Matrix in it.

There is no way a Batman movie is as good as everyone is acting. I want to see it, and probably will this weekend, but everyone saying it was a GREAT? It's batman. The plot alone can't be good enough to push it beyond an 8 out of 10.

Gloat, when I go to see a movie about a comic book/superheros/mutants/etc... I generally alter my expectations. My fiance doesn't go see them, she's just not interested in the genre. However, a movie can be a great movie, or a 10/10. It doesn't mean that it changes the way that you think, but it's the best that it can be using the subject matter. At least to me.

I thought that the dark knight was a great movie. Very well done. Would I put it on my top fifty best movies of all time? No, it's a superhero movie. But I would still say it's a great movie.

I thought that the dark knight was a great movie. Very well done. Would I put it on my top fifty best movies of all time? No, it's a superhero movie. But I would still say it's a great movie.

Either you have a pretty loose definition of "great" or you really really like a lot of movies.

Very intense film... 10/10.

Given that I understand that Gloat is an antagonist for the sake of being an antagonist (much like the Joker), I'll add this:

This is not a "superhero" movie in the way we normally expect... there's no superpowers involved. It's a thriller in which a wealthy vigilante pursues a psychotic madman, and it's freakin intense, and with PLENTY of plot twists.

Either you have a pretty loose definition of "great" or you really really like a lot of movies.

No, that was my point. This was a "great" superhero/comic book movie. It is "great" for what it is. There are significant limits to what these kinds of movies can be/do, and this movie went to and hit that ceiling.

Want to take my 9yo son to see Dark Knight this weekend. Any views on whether or not it is suitable for a kid of that age?

Oh yeah, definitely suitable. There is no gore at all, there is some violence scenes but they are as PG rated as possible.

I loved it I'm sure your son will too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back