Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to take my 9yo son to see Dark Knight this weekend. Any views on whether or not it is suitable for a kid of that age?
Visit the thread on the "Dark Knight". I asked about my 12-year old and felt after many of the comments that I'll check it out myself first.

Thanks. We just spent the weekend in Chicago where every tour guide was pointing out the areas where the race scenes were filmed and my son is now all keen to see the movie.

We did Wall-E on the weekend.

Might try and wait it out.

In Bruges - Debut feature film from Martin McDonagh, starring Collin Ferrell and Brendan Gleason (one of my personal favorite character actors), explores the "vacation" of two London hit men as they take some time off after a particularly botched murder. The performances by all the actors (including a very creepy Ralph Fiennes) are all spectacular, with the film being occasionally hilarious, dark, and very witty. This is probably my favorite movie of the year so far, so check it out.

A

Gloat, when I go to see a movie about a comic book/superheros/mutants/etc... I generally alter my expectations. My fiance doesn't go see them, she's just not interested in the genre. However, a movie can be a great movie, or a 10/10. It doesn't mean that it changes the way that you think, but it's the best that it can be using the subject matter. At least to me.

I thought that the dark knight was a great movie. Very well done. Would I put it on my top fifty best movies of all time? No, it's a superhero movie. But I would still say it's a great movie.
That makes more sense. But I think you still rate it as a film, rather than a film of a certain genre.

I think a genre film deserves to be considered as a highly rated film, if it's the best of its kind. That's relative, of course, but if a comic book movie is the best comic book movie out there, I'll still give it a 10/10, even though it may not be as realistic/thought provoking or whatever else you look for out of different sets of movies. I actually thought the Dark Knight did some things that you rarely if ever see in comic book/super hero movies- it was a little thought provoking and was able to relate to broader issues without seeming corny or contrived. It really did provide a "dark" or otherwise disturbing world view in a sense. In general, it was light years beyond those normal attrocities like fantastic four, ghost rider, or the Hulk from four years ago. It's limited on its face because of its genre, but because it exceeds the expectations of that genre, I'll give it more credit on a scale with movies of other genres.

Did that make any sense? I feel like I'm being unclear. (sincerely)

Because he is skeptical that a group of forum members who seem to love every single summer crapstravaganza loving yet another flick means the movie is actually great?

Glad you could come to Gloats rescue......I am just going to ASSume that you didnt see my smiley face at the end....and I will break it down for you. I was Poking fun at Gloat. I like to do that.....sorry if I OFFended u!

In Bruges - Debut feature film from Martin McDonagh, starring Collin Ferrell and Brendan Gleason (one of my personal favorite character actors), explores the "vacation" of two London hit men as they take some time off after a particularly botched murder. The performances by all the actors (including a very creepy Ralph Fiennes) are all spectacular, with the film being occasionally hilarious, dark, and very witty. This is probably my favorite movie of the year so far, so check it out.

A

Better 'movie' than the Dark Knight or just your personal favourite?

I'd say just in terms of how it's crafted, it's better fundamentally than Dark Knight. I think I was wow'd more by Ledger's performance and Nolan's direction than this one, but it was superbly written and acted (Brendan Gleason deserves a Best Supporting nod, and he won't get it).

Has anyone seen The Bank Job? With so many silly shoot-em up and wire-fu Jason Statham movies of late I wasn't expecting much so I was very pleasantly surprised! Great story...

Hellboy II was a good-looking piece of crap. Beyond the cool looking creatures it was a total yawner. Del Toro obviously makes these popcorn duds (Hellboy, Blade) to finance his real movies..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back