Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recent movies I've seen.

Vantage Point- wasn't good
Han****- was decent

Then I bought some more movies for my Blu-Ray

Men in Black- nice special features
I, Robot- looked pretty good(yep, big Will Smith fan)
Blazing Saddles- remarkable, very nice picture

I got the Batman animated prequel(kinda). Pretty sweet. The animation is nice and it just looks amazing on blu ray. There are six stories and all but about one was great. Rent it before you see the dark knight or if you are a complete NERD like me buy the special edition blu ray.

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army

The reluctant camera-hamming, cigar-smoking, kitten-snuggling antihero is up against an ancient evil with an ancient grudge. I couldn't help but notice that 3 of the last 4 movies I've seen begin the same way: in flashback to an ancient prophesy/curse or temporary incarceration of evil (The Forbidden Kingdom, Kung Fu Panda and this film).

That aside, Guillermo Del Toro's creatures are beautifully rendered, and his script has just enough tongue-in-cheek humor to keep us from thinking that he really expects us to take the plotline seriously. Seth McFarlane's voice stars as the wispy new head of the Dept of Paranormal Research and Defense: a strict and methodical German named Johann Krauss, leaving me convinced that he is also the German phone caller Hans 'Bill-Bob' in a current BMW radio advertisement.

Formulaic but fun, visually stellar but often overwhelming. 6.5/10

Love Guru - i hated it. nothing more needs to be said 2/10

Get Smart- It was cute... a lot better if you understand all the references to the original. No suprises, but exactly what you would expect from all actors/actresses/writers/director. Light. witty. fun. 6/10

10,000 BC - Ehh. If you don't take it too seriously, it was an alright movie. Typical, but not bad. Not near as bad as the reviews made it out to be.

6/10

The Machinist - Weird. Depressing. But pretty good. Seeing Bale at 120 lbs and 0% body fat is just wrong. But I applaud him for nearly killing himself for the sake of cinema. 7.5/10.

Bringing Out The Dead - Highly slept on Scorsese movie, staring Nick Cage (ugh, he's great in this though), Ving Rhames, John Goodman, and Tom Sizemore. It's one of darkest and one of the more depressing (in style, not in so much tone) cinemography and scope I've ever seen. Cage's descent into madness as a paramedic, and the fairly disorganized plot elements (there really isn't a classic plot to it). Anyway, it was brilliant, and different than most of Marty's work. If you like his darker pictures like Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, check this out.

A-

Bringing Out The Dead - Highly slept on Scorsese movie, staring Nick Cage (ugh, he's great in this though), Ving Rhames, John Goodman, and Tom Sizemore. It's one of darkest and one of the more depressing (in style, not in so much tone) cinemography and scope I've ever seen. Cage's descent into madness as a paramedic, and the fairly disorganized plot elements (there really isn't a classic plot to it). Anyway, it was brilliant, and different than most of Marty's work. If you like his darker pictures like Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, check this out.

A-

Funny Games - Extremely light-hearted tale starring Naomi Watts, Tim Roth and Michael Pitt. A pair of fun-loving young men join a married couple and their young son at a summer lake getaway cottage. A good time had by all and cheerful ending that has a little something for everyone.. - or maybe the exact opposite of all of that ..

Reading your review Cruds, having seen Funny Games, made me laugh at loud at the sarcasm. That's gotta be one of the most "it's so violent but it doesn't have to be" flicks I've ever seen. Wasn't really enjoyable to me at all...

That long single shot scene after the blood on the tv part (for lack of a better description) has to be one of the most painful things to watch ever..

Reading your review Cruds, having seen Funny Games, made me laugh at loud at the sarcasm. That's gotta be one of the most "it's so violent but it doesn't have to be" flicks I've ever seen. Wasn't really enjoyable to me at all...

You know, I'm one of those people where violence just doesn't phase me that much. But that film made me want to turn it off, not because it was bad per say, but the violence was just so overdone and unnecessary that it was physically difficult for me to continue.

A movie like Shoot 'Em Up is cartoonish, almost campy, levels of violence, that to me is swallow able, if not very enjoyable. Like Cruds said, Games is like the director putting in as much brutal, realistic violence as he can to see how much the audience can stomach it.

I haven't seen either of those flicks. Recommended?

I haven't seen either of those flicks. Recommended?

Yes.. definitely Fido, which is kinda like a George Romero takes over Pleasantville tale. A cool take on zombies as pets/servants. Billy Connelly plays Fido..
Severance is a British slasher-themed dark comedy worth checking out..

I thought Funny Games was a good movie. It was violent but it was done well. The wife found it disturbing and awful, but she is wanting to go see Mama Mia..... boo ABBA sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back