Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bedknobs and Broomsticks... Angela Lansbury is a national treasure!
aa9aa6c382599d5befc9a174710ecec9--angela-lansbury-famous-photos.jpg

It's been years, but I just watched an old movie that had an impact on me as a young man (9 years old). It still held up 35 years later. Conan the Barbarian! Nice to go down memory road. I also recently watched another gem- Legends of the Fall. I have found that some of that old stuff is better than this new CGI action jazz.

It's been years, but I just watched an old movie that had an impact on me as a young man (9 years old). It still held up 35 years later. Conan the Barbarian! Nice to go down memory road. I also recently watched another gem- Legends of the Fall. I have found that some of that old stuff is better than this new CGI action jazz.
I enjoy action movies and CGI stuff as much as anyone but it is not required to make a good movie.

If a movie has no budget then they should pay particular attention to the scoring. It is an area that, compared to the rest of the cost of making a movie, cost little but has an outsized impact when done half way decently

It's been years, but I just watched an old movie that had an impact on me as a young man (9 years old). It still held up 35 years later. Conan the Barbarian! Nice to go down memory road.
I recently rewatched that one as well. Can't honestly say it lived up to how I remembered it but a fun watch nonetheless.

LOTF is a GREAT movie!

Conan had Arnie in his prime... amazing pistache of the Howard character.

most people consider that to be the idealized image of Conan

Howards Conan would be much closer to an American Indian. Howard based the Cimmerians on the Celts but the descriptions of Conan were mostly of a dark skin color and a stout not lean physique. Usually described as black haired and blue eyed, which would NOT be an American Indian trait I know )

'He saw a tall, strongly made youth standing beside him. This person was as much out of place in that den as a gray wolf among mangy rats of the gutters. His cheap tunic could not conceal the hard, rangy lines of his powerful frame, the broad heavy shoulders, the massive chest, lean waist and heavy arms. His skin was brown from outland suns, his eyes blue and smoldering; a shock of tousled black hair crowned his broad forehead. From his girdle hung a sword in a worn leather scabbard.'

from 'The Tower of the Elephant' by Robert E. Howard 1932

Savagesword24_07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
pit.jpg

"Conan, what is best in life?"

"To crush your enemies. See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!"

"That is good!"

Blade Runner 2049
In a world of lousy sequels and huge disappointments from Ridley Scott, it's understandable how this could become a box office flop, especially in such a niche genre as cyberpunk. That's too bad, because this is a masterful piece of storytelling and cinematography. Familiar themes are applied from other cyberpunk classics- like BSG (TNS) and Ghost In The Shell- to a mystery in which the latest model "skin job" (Gosling) is employed by the LAPD to hunt down older models whose lives have been extended. Mystery and intrigue ensues. Those who are highly astute in medical/biological knowledge might solve the mystery before the reveal, but probably not.
The director (French guy, forgot the name) avoided the mistake that Scott did in "Prometheus": updating the story so much that the feel of the source material is lost and forgotten. This is the same foggy, miserable, dystopic LA that we saw in the original, with slightly less aerial traffic due to an EMP attack that happened between then and now. The atmosphere and mood of other locales are striking pieces of cinematography.
Overall, I have no cons or complaints...really enjoyed it and am glad it is not a disappointment. That being said, can we please stop letting entertainment media hype Jared Leto? Yeah, he did fine as the villain, but just like his Joker, he was only in about six minutes of screen time total.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back