Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the more reason why it's odd they wouldn't trade Jones and/or Watkins when this is a pretty deep draft class. Free up cash and retool your roster with younger talent.

I mean there is logic in dancing with the girl that brought you so to speak, for 1 more year, but you gotta think long term. I imagine Sammy Watkins could have pulled a mid round pick and you know Jones is going to pull a 1st and may be another mid round pick. They could add a lot of cost controlled talent with that many picks.

KC wants one more year at a run. After Mahomes gets paid, and they cut half their squad, they won't be dominant anymore. Might as well get another year with all the stars.

Theyve only got one more year left before it gets real dicey
I don't think it matters. They won the Super Bowl. Mission accomplished and I'm sure it was worth it. Now sign the best player in the NFL, retool, re-calibrate, and see if he can do it again.

...which he probably can.

If they get back-to-back Ships, then even more wroth it.

All the more reason why it's odd they wouldn't trade Jones and/or Watkins when this is a pretty deep draft class. Free up cash and retool your roster with younger talent.

I mean there is logic in dancing with the girl that brought you so to speak, for 1 more year, but you gotta think long term. I imagine Sammy Watkins could have pulled a mid round pick and you know Jones is going to pull a 1st and may be another mid round pick. They could add a lot of cost controlled talent with that many picks.
I disagree. See if you can win again. Now. You know you're capable. Doesn't matter the cost. Take advantage while you can. Who cares about 3 years from now? Barring injury, as long as they have that franchise QB, they'll always be in some form of contention. Doesn't matter who is around him. You'll always have more draft picks. No guarantees you can replace someone like Jones.

I disagree. See if you can win again. Now. You know you're capable. Doesn't matter the cost. Take advantage while you can. Who cares about 3 years from now? Barring injury, as long as they have that franchise QB, they'll always be in some form of contention. Doesn't matter who is around him. You'll always have more draft picks. No guarantees you can replace someone like Jones.
Exactly...teams go for years without winning a SB... Some never do..you get a chance to keep it going, you do it.

Keep the key pieces to build around, in KC's situation that's Mahomes.

That's what NE did..they kept Brady

Exactly...teams go for years without winning a SB... Some never do..you get a chance to keep it going, you do it.

Keep the key pieces to build around, in KC's situation that's Mahomes.

That's what NE did..they kept Brady

NE also routinely traded star players for picks or let them walk for for draft pick compensation (they turned the Vrabel trade into Patrick Chung for instance). Their moto for everyone except Brady, was basically next man up. It also helped that Brady repeatedly took team friendly extensions and restructured contracts in an effort to help retain key players to keep his team among the AFC elite.

Every GM cares about 3 years from now. If you aren't, then you aren't a very good GM.

There's a cost/benefit for every move. You just gotta figure out that happy medium

Gronk to Tampa surely means OJH is on the move. Best spots I can think of for him are GB, HOU, IND (would say NE but they have no cap space).
Praying for GB. Really dont want OJH in this division.

NE also routinely traded star players for picks or let them walk for for draft pick compensation (they turned the Vrabel trade into Patrick Chung for instance). Their moto for everyone except Brady, was basically next man up. It also helped that Brady repeatedly took team friendly extensions and restructured contracts in an effort to help retain key players to keep his team among the AFC elite.
They traded and let players walk once they were used up. It's not as common for them to give up a player still in their prime. Dion Lewis... Malcom Butler... They give up players while the rest of the league thinks they are valuable, but NE realizes they are towards the end of that spectrum.

Chandler Jones is one exception I can think of

Every GM cares about 3 years from now. If you aren't, then you aren't a very good GM.

There's a cost/benefit for every move. You just gotta figure out that happy medium
Not to sacrifice immediate success for potential 3 years from now. If you focus on tomorrow and not today, you won't be a GM come tomorrow.

Gronk to Tampa surely means OJH is on the move. Best spots I can think of for him are GB, HOU, IND (would say NE but they have no cap space).
Praying for GB. Really dont want OJH in this division.

Houston doesn’t have the room nor the draft picks to pull it off. Jack Doyle is Indys TE. Why wouldn’t we be interested in OJ? It makes sense and would be tough Henry and OJ are buddies and dual threat TEs would be a huge problem for NFL defenses. I think the Titans should be players in this.

OJ has never had more than 600 years in a season on one of the most pass happy teams in the league. Last year his PFF grade was SIGNIFICANTLY lower than Jonnu, Firkser AND Pruitt.
He was also playing for Bruce Arians who doesn't use TE's for much other than to block. That's pretty much all Gronk will be doing on that team.

He needs to go to a team that would use him as a move TE, or a slot WR. He's not a mauling blocker (although he was pretty good at it in college so I'm surprised he's struggled this much in the pro's), but BA just doesn't draw up plays designed to go to the TE either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back