Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Only thing that article shares that makes me understand why AAS and Vrabel began drifting apart is Vrabel wanting full personnel control and not getting it.

If Vrabel thought he’d earned that, I imagine it was something he never got over.

Also, we’re supposed to believe Vrabel’s staff choices had no impact?

One thing for sure, this type of drama isn't going to land us the best HC candidates.
If it’s true, then yes. This is just more “speculation.” I swear, we’ve turned sports into a telenovela. The actual drama of sport isn’t enough. We have to create “behind the scenes” drama to fill our monotony.

Like Jim Wyatt or not, I thought this response to a pissed of fan was pretty insightful:

So, here's a little bit of what I'm thinking after this news: I like Mike Vrabel. I think he's a good football coach, and a good man. He's as competitive, and wants to win, as much as anyone I've ever been around. He's a great teacher, demands excellence from his players, and he's widely respected because he's earned it. He's been an upstanding member of the community, doing a lot of great things off the field. He has a great family. He's had success here on the football field, and I truly think if he'd kept his job, there's a good chance he could have righted the ship. And, as irritable as he appeared to be, I always thought his intentions were good, and he wasn't the jerk he might've looked like at times. He's just wound tight, and he's all about football and winning. He'll be missed by a lot of people around here. I also think he'll get another job, and predict he'll do well. With all that said, he wasn't perfect, and I think he'd admit it. And, when I caught wind this move was taking place, I can't say I was shocked, because I get it. The Titans have lost 18 of the last 24 games under his watch. I've said in this mailbag many times this season the team underachieved. Instead of winning close games on a consistent basis, his teams had been finding ways to lose them. The Titans have led the NFL in players used the past few years because of all the injuries, something Vrabel, or the franchise, hasn't been figured out. Yes, it's football, and I know guys get hurt, but it's been at a dizzying pace. And, let's face it, as much as prior GM Jon Robinson has been bashed around here since his departure, he gave Vrabel and his staff a roster in 2021 that was the AFC's No.1 seed, and built to win the Super Bowl. Under Vrabel's watch, that didn't happen. Take the easy route and blame it on Tannehill for the three picks, but that Titans team blew a golden opportunity and should've won the Super Bowl. For one reason or another, things have spiraled down since. Last offseason, Vrabel made some changes on his staff, he had more of a say in the roster building, and things didn't get better. Now, the franchise heads into the offseason with a boatload of cap space, and a high draft pick. If Amy Adams Strunk had decided to give Vrabel another year and didn't get the desired results in 2024, and then decided to fire him at that point, then the franchise would've spent all that money and picks for a new coach who might have a different plan. I think about all this, while acknowledging there might also be some other behind the scenes things that led to the divorce.

Wednesday Mailbag: Titans Fans React to the Firing of HC Mike Vrabel

Only thing that article shares that makes me understand why AAS and Vrabel began drifting apart is Vrabel wanting full personnel control and not getting it.

If Vrabel thought he’d earned that, I imagine it was something he never got over.

Also, we’re supposed to believe Vrabel’s staff choices had no impact?

especially with strunk clearly stating that coaching staff was important

As much as people and national media Hate the move I'm with Amy 100%.

We know what happends when a coach has all control in the last few Fisher years.

I think with a new Coach coming in she will make it very clear Ran is the GM and the coach is the coach.

That will eliminate alot candidates but I don't Care.

Like Jim Wyatt or not, I thought this response to a pissed of fan was pretty insightful:

So, here's a little bit of what I'm thinking after this news: I like Mike Vrabel. I think he's a good football coach, and a good man. He's as competitive, and wants to win, as much as anyone I've ever been around. He's a great teacher, demands excellence from his players, and he's widely respected because he's earned it. He's been an upstanding member of the community, doing a lot of great things off the field. He has a great family. He's had success here on the football field, and I truly think if he'd kept his job, there's a good chance he could have righted the ship. And, as irritable as he appeared to be, I always thought his intentions were good, and he wasn't the jerk he might've looked like at times. He's just wound tight, and he's all about football and winning. He'll be missed by a lot of people around here. I also think he'll get another job, and predict he'll do well. With all that said, he wasn't perfect, and I think he'd admit it. And, when I caught wind this move was taking place, I can't say I was shocked, because I get it. The Titans have lost 18 of the last 24 games under his watch. I've said in this mailbag many times this season the team underachieved. Instead of winning close games on a consistent basis, his teams had been finding ways to lose them. The Titans have led the NFL in players used the past few years because of all the injuries, something Vrabel, or the franchise, hasn't been figured out. Yes, it's football, and I know guys get hurt, but it's been at a dizzying pace. And, let's face it, as much as prior GM Jon Robinson has been bashed around here since his departure, he gave Vrabel and his staff a roster in 2021 that was the AFC's No.1 seed, and built to win the Super Bowl. Under Vrabel's watch, that didn't happen. Take the easy route and blame it on Tannehill for the three picks, but that Titans team blew a golden opportunity and should've won the Super Bowl. For one reason or another, things have spiraled down since. Last offseason, Vrabel made some changes on his staff, he had more of a say in the roster building, and things didn't get better. Now, the franchise heads into the offseason with a boatload of cap space, and a high draft pick. If Amy Adams Strunk had decided to give Vrabel another year and didn't get the desired results in 2024, and then decided to fire him at that point, then the franchise would've spent all that money and picks for a new coach who might have a different plan. I think about all this, while acknowledging there might also be some other behind the scenes things that led to the divorce.

Wednesday Mailbag: Titans Fans React to the Firing of HC Mike Vrabel
He mentions a couple things talked about here,
After JRob was fired, Vrabel himself was given more personnel authority.
He also mentions the crazy amount of injuries, league best 3 in a row (not mentioned) which is hard to buy as more than just coincidence. What role and how much Vrabel fits into that is truly undetermined.

I don’t that anyone questioned his competitiveness or want to win and clearly the players at least felt like that, mostly. Tart and whoever else Big Jeff called out are examples to the contrary.

unfortunately as an insider that specifically follows the team, he didn’t mention the issues with X’ and O’s that the fans discuss regularly. Not just the hiring of Kelly and Bowan, but the actual schemes put in play. Run the ball too much, secondary out of position, etc.

id like 1, even 1 journalist to have the guts to call Vrabel out in that fashion, that his playbooks have more to be desired to say the least.

As much as people and national media Hate the move I'm with Amy 100%.

We know what happends when a coach has all control in the last few Fisher years.

I think with a new Coach coming in she will make it very clear Ran is the GM and the coach is the coach.

That will eliminate alot candidates but I don't Care.
I support Amy and really like her as owner. For the most part she hires people and steps back and lets them do their job, until they arent doing it and she replaces them. Just how I would do things.

“Last offseason, Vrabel made some changes on his staff, he had more of a say in the roster building, and things didn't get better.”

He mentions a couple things talked about here,
After JRob was fired, Vrabel himself was given more personnel authority.
He also mentions the crazy amount of injuries, league best 3 in a row (not mentioned) which is hard to buy as more than just coincidence. What role and how much Vrabel fits into that is truly undetermined.

I don’t that anyone questioned his competitiveness or want to win and clearly the players at least felt like that, mostly. Tart and whoever else Big Jeff called out are examples to the contrary.

unfortunately as an insider that specifically follows the team, he didn’t mention the issues with X’ and O’s that the fans discuss regularly. Not just the hiring of Kelly and Bowan, but the actual schemes put in play. Run the ball too much, secondary out of position, etc.

id like 1, even 1 journalist to have the guts to call Vrabel out in that fashion, that his playbooks have more to be desired to say the least.
I don’t know too many journalists dumb enough to get into a real football argument with someone like Vrabel.

Latest posts

Back