Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

After listening to the whole thing, I don’t buy sour grapes. It didn’t sound like ill intent towards Vrabel and even gave recognition that he was a good coach, just some things to learn from.

He also confirmed what many said that the locker room culture was built under Mularkey. That was something Vrabel inherited and may very well have had a large role in demolishing.

woodyard didn’t mention lack of salary cap room, specifically when addressing the idea of “plug and play”. Limited funds can have that effect. I think Vrabel called out David Long individually, but as Woodyard said, dude played and Tennessee let him go like “plug and play”. He didn’t hit on cost.

Mularky created a culture Woodyard liked. That’s what I took from that. A more player friendly locker room. Sounded like right or wrong Vrabel came I and said
“ I’m the captain now”.

Let’s be clear… any player or players who doesn’t want to win a SB because the HCsego may get worse is a player I don’t want. That comment ruins his credibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s funny, we had a thread focused on Woodyard’s comments a couple years ago. The vast majority on this site would not believe Woodyard and defended Vrabel…

Mularky created a culture Woodyard liked. That’s what I took from that. A more player friendly locker room. Sounded like right or wrong Vrabel came I and said
“ I’m the captain now”.

Let’s be clear… any player or players who doesn’t want to win a SB because the HCsego may get worse is a player I don’t want. That comment ruins his credibility.
I can agree with that. The fact he had concerns about what a SB would do, for the HC, was pretty outrageous to say.

Im thinking every guy in the locker room is more thinking about the realization they are 1 game away from the SB, not what impact it would have on the HC or media etc surrounding opinions of the HC.

At least we can be fairly certain that Vrabel encouraged the players to rest if they had a little boo-boo.
I would say this was great for the injured and the few who didn’t care to play. Probably not so popular with the folks who gave it all they had every play

Any of you 104.5 locals get the Wesley Woodward interview or have a link?

apparently he crapped on Vrabel with a couple notes (I got these through another place but no link):

he overworked and alienated players,
barred players kids from facilities,
told them they were plug and play,
trashed Jurrel Casey and Orakpo, Mularky… amongst over things…

again, someone else’s take, would like to see the actual interview or transcript.
So Vrabel was overriding his DC and forcing them to run coverages that did not fit the personnel. Well that fits what we've seen on the field for the secondary (and maybe oline as well).
Highly respected. This is why teams are passing him up right now. He's everyone's 2nd or 3rd option. This guy was a cancer with an over inflated ego. Glad this bum is gone, he'll be coaching at Colgate pretty soon.

Highly respected. This is why teams are passing him up right now. He's everyone's 2nd or 3rd option. This guy was a cancer with an over inflated ego. Glad this bum is gone, he'll be coaching at Colgate pretty soon.

They might be. But you don’t know that. Zero way you could. But Again, the hate. It’s just a game. What did he do to you ?

He has been connected to Seattle more than any team. He won’t be at Colgate.

They might be. But you don’t know that. Zero way you could. But Again, the hate. It’s just a game. What did he do to you ?

He has been connected to Seattle more than any team. He won’t be at Colgate.
So, it’s posts like this that cause people to not take you seriously. While all you said is true, there was no reason for you to go on a rant about it because, a) most people know it’s true and you aren’t going convince those who don’t in a rant post, and b) it, wrongly, makes you sound like you are unnecessarily defending Vrabel. You have a lot of good stuff that you offer on here, but posts like this drown the good out. They make you into a caricature of yourself.

(Yes, I realize the irony in my advice, but my way of thinking is the right way, dang it!)

It's feeling a bit like Vrabel played himself. This is simple. New GM, give the current coach one more year with the new GM to see what they can do. Vrabel had less wins than the prior year- so two losing seasons in a row and further away from the real goal, the Super Bowl. He was reluctant to change, and overvalued his role with the organization. After one year it was time to go get the new GM's guy. Sound familiar? Too many talking heads giving Vrabel too much credit. He believed his own hype. Amy cut bait before things got worse- and in this case more mediocrity just brings a worse draft pick.
This is a go big, or go home league now. I'm interested to see how Callahan shakes out. Meantime, Vrabel is interviewing with the Falcons, and the HC jobs are going pretty fast.

So, it’s posts like this that cause people to not take you seriously. While all you said is true, there was no reason for you to go on a rant about it because, a) most people know it’s true and you aren’t going convince those who don’t in a rant post, and b) it, wrongly, makes you sound like you are unnecessarily defending Vrabel. You have a lot of good stuff that you offer on here, but posts like this drown the good out. They make you into a caricature of yourself.

(Yes, I realize the irony in my advice, but my way of thinking is the right way, dang it!)

Very valuable advice. You probably are right. I just can’t resist sometimes.

I’ll try

What captured my attention in the interview, and I think important, was he basically outlined the contrast in coaching styles between Callahan and Vrabel. Callahan created the offense around Burrow, while Vrabel forced his system on Woodyard. Which approach will work best is up for debate, but it will be different.

As far as losing part of the locker room on day one. Yes. That can happen. It's why you see most Executives in small organizations clean house the first week they arrive. The old people have a hard time buying in to the new plan because, as with the Titans at the time, it was kinda working under Mularkey, and the new executive wants to disrupt what they thought was working. The older employees especially don't like when you come in and start removing their teammates who helped get to that point.

In the NFL you are forced to work with the veterans when you sign on, so Vrabel had to navigate that environment correctly. Ran did it correctly in my opinion. He wants the players to solve the problem. Or at least let them think they are together in solving it. Vrabel appears to have botched that with the veterans by trying to solve it himself.

That brings us to Callahan. He has a history of designing an offense around the new players and talent. See Burrow. But he probably has very little experience navigating his induction into an established culture. He's fresh meat. The good news it the Titans were really sucking, so even the veterans should be ready to embrace some change.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back