Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

I'm still baffled that the Ken Whisenhunt experiment didn't work out. The guy took Arizona to the Superb Owl. Yes, that Arizona. In hindsight, was Mariota the reason the Whisenhunt era didn't succeed...?
I was expecting Rivers to come along. May of won it all…

I'm still baffled that the Ken Whisenhunt experiment didn't work out. The guy took Arizona to the Superb Owl. Yes, that Arizona. In hindsight, was Mariota the reason the Whisenhunt era didn't succeed...?
He had a raw, third round rookie starting at RT and didn't give him any help in pass protection.

Only Titan I remember legitimately feeling sorry for. His confidence was destroyed before his career could go anywhere

Any of you 104.5 locals get the Wesley Woodward interview or have a link?

apparently he crapped on Vrabel with a couple notes (I got these through another place but no link):

he overworked and alienated players,
barred players kids from facilities,
told them they were plug and play,
trashed Jurrel Casey and Orakpo, Mularky… amongst over things…

again, someone else’s take, would like to see the actual interview or transcript.

I was watching it on youtube, he kind of toasted Vrabel.

He barred everyone else's kids from the locker room, his kids still got to come and go as they pleased.

Woodyard is around the 2:21 mark

I was watching it on youtube, he kind of toasted Vrabel.

He barred everyone else's kids from the locker room, his kids still got to come and go as they pleased.

Woodyard is around the 2:21 mark
Good interview. On a side note, it always kind of amazes me they can't take 10 minutes to edit out the dead air before posting those videos.

So Vrabel was overriding his DC and forcing them to run coverages that did not fit the personnel. Well that fits what we've seen on the field for the secondary (and maybe oline as well).

So Vrabel was overriding his DC and forcing them to run coverages that did not fit the personnel. Well that fits what we've seen on the field for the secondary (and maybe oline as well).
Especially dealing with secondary. His secondary was crap in Houston too.
I fully anticipate it will suck wherever he goes too.

Exactly.

I don’t like the stuff about the kids if that’s true. But the rest of it… Vrabel had his issues it’s clear. It was his demise. Managing egos is a hard thing to do. Particularly when you need to manage your own. It sounded to me like Vrabel was a hard ass and Woodyard didn’t like that. Mularky sounded like he was just one of the guys.

Exactly.

I don’t like the stuff about the kids if that’s true. But the rest of it… Vrabel had his issues it’s clear. It was his demise. Managing egos is a hard thing to do. Particularly when you need to manage your own. It sounded to me like Vrabel was a hard ass and Woodyard didn’t like that. Mularky sounded like he was just one of the guys.
When listening to it, I partly took it with a grain a salt, but the Pees story and the kids story I dont doubt for a second. Pees couldnt wait to get out of here. Announced his "retirement" as soon as the season was over, then pops up in Atlanta.

When listening to it, I partly took it with a grain a salt, but the Pees story and the kids story I dont doubt for a second. Pees couldnt wait to get out of here. Announced his "retirement" as soon as the season was over, then pops up in Atlanta.

That’s very true.

I don’t think you lose a locker room in one day. I think some IR/ injuries could also be players looking for ways to not have to work with Vrabel as much.
Some key players left which probably also didn’t help the locker room. Not many leaders around with so many rookies and FA signings.

Like anywhere and in any business. If the players/employees don’t buy into the system or scheme it won’t succeed. I think we are finding out, which shouldn’t be a surprise, the scheme without a really good Thill and an elite Henry just didn’t work. The players knew it. They checked out.

Like anywhere and in any business. If the players/employees don’t buy into the system or scheme it won’t succeed. I think we are finding out, which shouldn’t be a surprise, the scheme without a really good Thill and an elite Henry just didn’t work. The players knew it. They checked out.
Which in turn also includes a really good OL and a solid D.
All of it fell off and as things got harder, either Vrabel didn’t do well coaching or the players didn’t respond to what he was doing. Maybe both.

After listening to the whole thing, I don’t buy sour grapes. It didn’t sound like ill intent towards Vrabel and even gave recognition that he was a good coach, just some things to learn from.

He also confirmed what many said that the locker room culture was built under Mularkey. That was something Vrabel inherited and may very well have had a large role in demolishing.

woodyard didn’t mention lack of salary cap room, specifically when addressing the idea of “plug and play”. Limited funds can have that effect. I think Vrabel called out David Long individually, but as Woodyard said, dude played and Tennessee let him go like “plug and play”. He didn’t hit on cost.

Latest posts

Back