Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the pick. He can sit and learn until he's ready with kelley starting over him. If he's ready to compete for the job by mid season, this was a great pick. If he's not ready to start until next season, it's still a good pick.

If Wilson takes over for Kelly midseason, that means we're not doing good as an unit.

So cheers to hoping Wilson comes in on packaged plays to free up Henry and Evan for his rookie season, then makes moves to be the full time starter in 2021.

If Wilson takes over for Kelly midseason, that means we're not doing good as an unit.

So cheers to hoping Wilson comes in on packaged plays to free up Henry and Evan for his rookie season, then makes moves to be the full time starter in 2021.
Or blows everyone away out of the gate and starts immediately... I just want the line to perform at a high level and don’t care how they accomplish that.

Watched the Georgia vs Florida game this morning....to watch Wilson against Greenard and Zuniga both who were Day 2 picks.....got to say that I'm a little more worried about the pick....early one whiffs on Greenards inside move and literally falls to the ground...this is not the only time he lunges forward and whiffs and goes down...also just didn't show much power to move guys back off the line of scrimmage...seems to engage and then stops moving his feet...his size allows him to wall guys off, but he doesn't drive them backwards very often...after watching that game my prediction is that Kelly is the starter

Watched the Georgia vs Florida game this morning....to watch Wilson against Greenard and Zuniga both who were Day 2 picks.....got to say that I'm a little more worried about the pick....early one whiffs on Greenards inside move and literally falls to the ground...this is not the only time he lunges forward and whiffs and goes down...also just didn't show much power to move guys back off the line of scrimmage...seems to engage and then stops moving his feet...his size allows him to wall guys off, but he doesn't drive them backwards very often...after watching that game my prediction is that Kelly is the starter
I guess time will tell....

From the games I watched....he totally dominated. Especially in the second half of games.

Are you talking about him not moving guys backwards in the run game or in his pass protections?

OL aren't going to be moving people backwards in the pass game... I agree I have concerns about his ability to handle speed, but to think he's gonna be moving people backwards in his pass sets is totally unrealistic.

From the games I watched....he totally dominated. Especially in the second half of games.
I hope he just had a bad game....he did squash a few people, but you don't see many NFL lineman reaching so much and whiffing that it causes them to fall to the ground and it happened multiple times.

I didn't really focus on OL at all pre-draft in terms of watching full games...just watched highlight videos which makes them all look good.

So this was my first full game just focusing on him....will have to watch Auburn game...it is great to youtube the condensed version of games and they only take 30mins

I watched his LSU tape after we drafted him and I here was my thoughts:

Pros: He isn't as slow as his combine numbers show. He can just eat a bulrush, and even speed guys have a hard time getting that angle to the QB because he's so large. He handles stunts very well and is patient on switching blocks. He's an absolute force in the run game though. He's was consistently moving the defender 3-5 yards downfield on his blocks and gets to the 2nd level with ease as well.

Cons: He is slow punching guys off the line. He often waits for them to make a move before trying to punch them. He's got long arms so if he can learn to punch them before they make their move, he could be dominant. But he got beat by the rip move a couple of times, and the spin move as well. Again if he can learn to get him hands on them quicker some of that can go away.

I'm sure we will chip block with him over there some with as many 2 TE sets as we run. We would do the same with Dennis Kelly or even Conklin last year.

Are you talking about him not moving guys backwards in the run game or in his pass protections?

OL aren't going to be moving people backwards in the pass game... I agree I have concerns about his ability to handle speed, but to think he's gonna be moving people backwards in his pass sets is totally unrealistic.

Of course not in pass sets...I was talking about running plays...IMO the DL wins if he is able to stuff the OT and not give ground and this happened quite a bit..

If his punch and some of his hand and footwork are his biggest issues, he should be able to learn a lot from Lewan and Kelly.

Both of those guys are pretty good with their sets and hand placement. Kelly doesn't have a ton of power, but wins with solid technique. Hopefully they can help the young man improve his game and maximize his potential, because he has a ton of it.

CBS and almost all notable sources have him rated B+. From what I have seen, he is a huge upgrade on the right side. As a Georgia fan he was more than solid....and dominating with the run. That said lets see how it plays out. Obviously Vrabel and JR think they can develop a special player here, and time will have the answers. One fact is, our right side of the line looked weak after the Conklin release.

One aspect that seems to get lost is that by using a 1st rounder on him, we have him under control for 5 years. Considering the going rate for OTs compared to CBs (and how relatively easy to find a decent CB) this shouldn't be overlooked.

If Clowney is the plan and an EDGE at 29 wasn't seriously considered, then OT seems like the easy choice if no trade offer to move back was good enough.

One aspect that seems to get lost is that by using a 1st rounder on him, we have him under control for 5 years. Considering the going rate for OTs compared to CBs (and how relatively easy to find a decent CB) this shouldn't be overlooked.

If Clowney is the plan and an EDGE at 29 wasn't seriously considered, then OT seems like the easy choice if no trade offer to move back was good enough.

CB’s make the same money if not more. Their franchise tag price is higher.

Hmm that seems odd. On the top 50 highest paid players there are only 2 CBs, but there are several OTs. But looking at this year's FA list, it does look like CBs pulled better than OTs. Guess I'll rethink that one

Hmm that seems odd. On the top 50 highest paid players there are only 2 CBs, but there are several OTs. But looking at this year's FA list, it does look like CBs pulled better than OTs. Guess I'll rethink that one

one issue is that the NFL for some reason does not distinguish between LT and RT in terms of the franchise tag. We all know that LTs get paid more than RT. Wilson is strictly a RT

one issue is that the NFL for some reason does not distinguish between LT and RT in terms of the franchise tag. We all know that LTs get paid more than RT. Wilson is strictly a RT
While true that is starting to change. I am kind of shocked it took this long. If I was a coach and every team plays the best pass blocker on the left I put mine on the right. Obviously some guys can't do that like switching tackles or corners. But it is something that is not obvious that fpr some reason was not even when I was in middle school during the early 2000s.

Go watch his LSU tape. Definitely not what I saw.
At the end of the day, this pic evens out....most wanted Fulton in the first, we got him in the second. That said if we switch draft order Wilson is a hit picking at 60. Wilson jumps off the boards....he was 17th ranked player out of high school, performance was at a high level at Georgia playing against tough competition....you can't teach how to be 6 foot 6 360 pounds of enormous strength. He's a run blocker, we're a running team. He enjoys beating up players, we're a physical team. At the end of the day this pic is a hit! Also we picked him a year early, Wilson played 2 seasons at Georgia....his pass blocking improved big time over 2 years. That said I'm sure the titans management took that into account. Where he is after 2 season, compared to other OL playing 3 years and in the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back