Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely understand not forcing a pick just because you have a need at a position. One of my biggest pet peeves are Titans fans who comment on Titans Facebook and Twitter things like "We needed a CB!" or "We lost Jurrell Casey, we need D-line!"

With that being said, I have watched as much on Isaiah Wilson as I can find and I am having a hard time with the logic on this pick. If we run the ball on every play, it's a great pick. But man, pass pro is going to be an issue. He has A LOT of trouble with speed rush. They run right around him and he's not fast enough to react to it. He also looks to play way too high. He may need to lose some weight to help him with his speed.

The worst part about the pick to me was who was left on the board. AJ Epenesa would have been a perfect fit in this defense and we need pass rush (unless they are sure they can lock up Clowney, but this isn't information fans have right now). There were also some good CBs left, along with players like Yeter Gross-Matos, Marlon Davidson who would have come in and been immediate contributors. Even Like someone else said - we either have a backup RT who's too expensive, or we drafted a project that didn't make us immediately better. I don't even think Wilson was the best OT left on the board. Joshua Jones from Houston was still available and I think he's a better player.

With the few moves we made in FA, and a project in the 1st round, how much improvement can we really expect this year?

I think we can expect improvement. Especially if, as I believe, Clowney is in our pocket.

Beasely plus Clowney brings way more pass rush than we lost in Casey and wake. That's improvement.

The offense should stay about the same. I think our line may be better by seasons end, with development of Davis and now Wilson.

And we still have more picks to come.

I thought we needed OL depth or competition for Kelly but didn’t think it was a first round need,

This only makes sense if clowney is in the bag.

From what I am reading the guy show significant improvement from year one to year two as a pass rusher. Also, seems he demonstrates the traits that suggest moldabilty and improvement. He is a physical specimen we know will be a great run blocker, with significant potential in pass protection. He only played two years in college so he isn’t even close to what he can become. The more I read the more Iike the pick—and we can move on pretty easily from
Kelly in a year.

For those saying we have other needs, we have no glaring ones that we had to spend a first round pick on. If we have Clowney in the fold we are set in the front seven and just need depth. And we have good corners and can grab nickel in the next couple of rounds. We need a back up RB and we can still get one.

If Tanny started all year we would likely have won 11-12 games, so we are a good team that added pieces and brought back the core talent. The draft is the time to add future pieces and we did that. I just don’t see the focus is this draft being immediate improvement.

I like Wilson. Would rather have had him in the 2nd round. JRob likely felt the same, as he tried to trade down, but couldn't find the value he wanted. Wilson was a reach at 29, but you either take the guy that is at the top of your board or he won't be there at your next pick. I honestly liked Ezra Cleveland and Josh Jones more than Wilson, but I will defer to JRob and his talent evaluators.

I do think J-Rob believes there are enough high quality CBs remaining that one will be available at 61 (Johnson, Fulton, Dantzler, Diggs). Or may be Blacklock or Davidson falls to 61. Blacklock seems super unlikely to fall 29 spots, but Davidson seems like we will probably be there at 29. Other possibilities at DL are Neville Gallimore, Justin Madubuike, or Jordan Elliot.

Someone is gonna get a steal with Swift in the 2nd round. Hopefully it isn't an AFC South team.

The nfl draft is a crapshoot. You never know how players will pan out. You should never draft for need: but you should always draft, within the constraints of the most important positions on a team: ie, qb, cb, o-line, d-line in the first round.
If Isaiah Wilson becomes a stud OT, then the titans got huge value for their pick.
I could have sworn OJ Howard was going to be the next Tony Gonzalez - yeah, that won't happen soon.
I am in wait and see mode.

Boring pick but Wilson fits a need

At 29 not a big reach taking a guy that may not be there if you wait. Or tried to trade down and couldn't.

Bigger reaches I think were Damon Arnette to Vegas with Murray and Queen on the board
Igbinoghone to Miami with Swift on the board
Miami's draft wasn't great imo considering they had 3 firsts

Really, at 29 our pick was pretty much a second rounder. Pick as late as we do this year, you should probably just add a round to our pick - 2nd ir pretty much a 3rd and so on. That’s the way I view compensatory picks too. If you get a pick after 32 picks were made in the 3rd round, that’s a 4th round pick to me.

Pros:

Wilson has a ton of potential. He has elite size and strength that you don't typically see from the 6th OT off the board. He doesn't play soft. Is a big mover in the run game. Good athleticism. Most of bad qualities are coachable and not talent/size related. He has a 5 star pedigree.

Cons:

He does seem limited to RT, which is unfortunate. I've seen mixed reports as to whether he may be able to play guard. From what I have seen, expecting him to be able to be a quality guard is optimistic at best. His pass protection is quite a bit further behind his run blocking. He has had some issues managing his weight, but hopefully an NFL strength and conditioning program will help with that.

Overall:

He may be a "project" but he's closer to a finished product than most give him credit for. He should be an immediate contributor in the run game. If we was more polished as a pass blocker, he wouldn't have been available at 29.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with some that this is the first time I’ve been truly surprised by a JROB pick. But the more I look at this guy and the more I read about him, the more I’m coming around to the pick. He has the potential to be a pro bowl caliber right tackle for years to come. It’s hard to argue with that at pick 29.

I was terrified of Kelley and Davis being our only options on the right side. Glad that JROB immediately came out and said Wilson will compete with Kelley for the starting spot. I hope he wins handily and Kelley can be the great backup/ extra lineman he’s been for us.

Worst case scenario at CB, we sign Brock or Dennard and move Adoree inside. Not the end of the world. Loads of slot CB talent still available in the draft.

We clearly have other plans for DL.

Really, at 29 our pick was pretty much a second rounder. Pick as late as we do this year, you should probably just add a round to our pick - 2nd ir pretty much a 3rd and so on. That’s the way I view compensatory picks too. If you get a pick after 32 picks were made in the 3rd round, that’s a 4th round pick to me.
I don't think he was a second rounder....late in the day yesterday, most analysts had him going in the first around 20. In my opinion he's a perfect fit.

The fit and play style fit us perfectly he is a heavy run blocker who benefits from play action.

If we were a pass happy team this pick wouldn't been really bad pick.

Anyways I understand the frustration of some fans since OL first round picks are not sexy at all but at 29 I don't see reason to cry about this.

I don't think he was a second rounder....late in the day yesterday, most analysts had him going in the first around 20. In my opinion he's a perfect fit.

He is not saying the players is a 2nd round player but our pick is more like a second round pick...so from what you are saying and what he is saying, we got great value with the pick.

Wilson is someone who moved up considerably in draft boards recently, so he likely wasn't too much of a reach. Probably would have been the first player off the board in the 2nd round with the Bengals needing a tackle. Certainly seems doubtful he would fall past the Pats or Panthers.

I wasn’t really thrilled with the pick at first. I wanted a defensive player with some upside like most of you. However, it’s hard to hate the pick when you look at our team and offense. The right side of our Oline was thin, and Dennis Kelly is a career backup. We got a mauler at RT to help clear holes for what we do best, and I’m all for sticking with an identity that works.

There are still a lot of good defensive players on the board, and I fully expect we select one of them in Rd 2. OT is only a sexy pick in the 1st round when you desperately need one, but most offensives are trash when they desperately need an OT

Not him specifically, just that late a pick is pretty much a 2nd rounder in general.

No a late first is still a first, plus add in the fact that there's still a lot of first round talent still on the board. You just can't essentially say Wilson is pretty much a second rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back