Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allen abused this vs Pitt

on the TD run, you could clearly tell the defender that had a line on him held up because he thought Allen was sliding.. but nope

and then late in the 4th, on 3rd down he ran 2 yards past LOS and then took his time sliding, obviously to draw the penalty

chickensh.it rule

Yep, first rule that needs to be adjusted is the QB slide. QB’s take advantage of it by literally waiting until the very last second to start sliding. The rule should be until you’ve completely given yourself up, you can get hit just like any other ball carrier. If the QB doesn’t want to get hit, then you better slide a couple of yards before the defender.

no... fumbling the ball - especially out of the endzone - should not be rewarded by giving ball back to incompetent O

rule is fine... dont want D to have the rock.. keep control of the rock. 100% on the O

The fumble rule just seems inconsistent. If the incompetent O fumbles out of bounds on the 5 yard line, they get the ball back at the 5 yard line (or spot of the fumble). However, if the incompetent O fumbles it out of bounds in the end zone, they lose possession. Huge difference. Are there any other rules or even penalties that result in a possession change?

I know that realistically, this almost never happens so the discussion is mostly academic....it just seems odd to me.

The fumble rule just seems inconsistent. If the incompetent O fumbles out of bounds on the 5 yard line, they get the ball back at the 5 yard line (or spot of the fumble). However, if the incompetent O fumbles it out of bounds in the end zone, they lose possession. Huge difference. Are there any other rules or even penalties that result in a possession change?

I know that realistically, this almost never happens so the discussion is mostly academic....it just seems odd to me.
Consider it like this using war as the comparison.
A team gets the ball attempting to enter the opponents house.
If you lose the special weapon needed to make taking their home worth while, into their house, you’re not getting it back. You lost control into the opponents house.

perfectly good rule, no change required.

I agree about the oddity of it... what could be an answer... give O ball at 25 ... which is still in FG range?

I've always thought there should be a change to kickoffs that makes it actually interesting:
  1. Any kickoff that goes through the uprights is worth 1 point.
  2. Any kickoff that goes out of the endzone, or out of bounds, starts at the 35. So a missed try at the 1 point would go to the 35.
  3. Any other kickoff that results in a touchback (whether kneeled or waived off) goes to the 20.
This would change the kicker landscape and drive up their value. Imagine how much Justin Tucker would be worth in this scenario. It would also make for some interesting end-of-game scenarios we hadn't seen before.

I've always thought there should be a change to kickoffs that makes it actually interesting:
  2. Any kickoff that goes out of the endzone, or out of bounds, starts at the 35. So a missed try at the 1 point would go to the 35.
  3. Any other kickoff that results in a touchback (whether kneeled or waived off) goes to the 20.
This would change the kicker landscape and drive up their value. Imagine how much Justin Tucker would be worth in this scenario. It would also make for some interesting end-of-game scenarios we hadn't seen before.
There is already a rule that allows a team a free kick after a fair catch. Nobody ever uses it. But, I have a brother-in-law who refs high school ball in GA. He was officiating a playoff game one time and a coach used this rule. The opposing coach went nuts. Actually everyone n the stadium went nuts because no one had ever seen it in a game. Free 3 points.

Last edited by a moderator:

Interesting idea.... I have been saying that if the kicker kicks it through the uprights on the KO that the ball should be placed at the 15... if it goes out of the endzone then ball at the 30 otherwise ball at the 15...

The whole reason that they changed the ball starting at the 25yd line on a touchback was to try and prevent as many returns...so I don't see them moving a touchback back to the 20yd line

There is already a rule that allows a team a free kick after a fair catch. Nobody ever uses it. But, I have a brother-in-law who refs high school ball in GA. He was officiating a playoff game one time and a coach used this rule. The opposing coach went nuts. Actually everyone n the stadium went nuts because no one had ever seen it in a game. Free 3 points.
It’s happened in the NFL as well, can’t recall the team but early 2000’s.
It was in effort to fair catch then attempt a FG from wherever the catch was, I believe the kicker missed and it was a long attempt, maybe 60 yards. But that was all from a punt I believe and I think the punt goes uncontested because the fair catch is announced before the play.
Punters have improved on distance, so I think this is even less likely to get called. Stonehouse avg 50+ yards. Minimum placement (of avg punt) makes a 67 yard FG attempt.

edit:
Scenario is discussed here, GB did not take it. I think I’m also off on how the rule works.
Packers missed an opportunity at a rare fair catch free kick before halftime

edit 2:
Here an example, Carolina in 2019 did it but missed the FG.
Panthers take advantage of rarely used fair catch kick rule to try 60-yard field goal against Buccaneers

Interesting idea.... I have been saying that if the kicker kicks it through the uprights on the KO that the ball should be placed at the 15... if it goes out of the endzone then ball at the 30 otherwise ball at the 15...

The whole reason that they changed the ball starting at the 25yd line on a touchback was to try and prevent as many returns...so I don't see them moving a touchback back to the 20yd line
pinning them at the 15 would also be acceptable I think

This thread was TLDR so apologies if this has been mentioned.

But my least favorite rule in all of sports, is that if you stretch the ball out trying to reach the goal line, and drop the ball and it goes through the endzone, it's a turnover and a touchback for the other team.

In many cases, the defense did NOTHING to earn a turnover. They didn't strip the ball, they didn't recover the ball. Why is this a turnover? It's WAY too punitive.

Any other spot on the field, the ball goes back to the spot of the fumble if it goes out of bounds. Why is it different in the endzone? The rule punishes effort, which I hate.

This thread was TLDR so apologies if this has been mentioned.

But my least favorite rule in all of sports, is that if you stretch the ball out trying to reach the goal line, and drop the ball and it goes through the endzone, it's a turnover and a touchback for the other team.

In many cases, the defense did NOTHING to earn a turnover. They didn't strip the ball, they didn't recover the ball. Why is this a turnover? It's WAY too punitive.

Any other spot on the field, the ball goes back to the spot of the fumble if it goes out of bounds. Why is it different in the endzone? The rule punishes effort, which I hate.
FR still counts even if the ball carrier just chucks it down. No different. D didn’t cause the fumble, guy carrying the ball did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back