Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slowik has been my radar since last off-season, but I am intrigued by Bengals OC Callahan, ESPECIALLY if his dad tags along. That could be a pretty solid hire.

Well we could just keep doing what we've been doing to prevent that.... but I think I'd rather have the problem of replacing a good OC every few years vs having an OC nobody wants.

Who said anything about hiring an OC nobody wants. No you don’t want to keep changing OCs and scheme. Recipe for disaster.

Who said anything about hiring an OC nobody wants. No you don’t want to keep changing OCs and scheme. Recipe for disaster.
You can’t have both.
Either there is an OC that does well and by virtue becomes a HC candidate in almost certainty
OR
He’s not good so no one wants him.

might be some middle ground between no one wanting him and how low Downing was.

You can’t have both.
Either there is an OC that does well and by virtue becomes a HC candidate in almost certainty
OR
He’s not good so no one wants him.

might be some middle ground between no one wanting him and how low Downing was.

Not if the young OC is OUR HC.

Question to you … would we be better off had we hired LaFleur in the first place.

I think I've been watching a disaster almost every football Sunday for the past 3 years. Change in OC doesn't necessarily mean scheme change. Lefleur to Smith for example. Variations of west Coast, air Coryel etc are transferable because almost everybody uses many of the concepts.

Just waiting to see what happens...

Not if the young OC is OUR HC.

Question to you … would we be better off had we hired LaFleur in the first place.
Never know. Lafluer looks like he’s doing pretty well, but he’s only had 1 non-Aaron Rodgers season.

but the timing doesn’t make sense anyway, they just hired Vrabel when Lafluer left.

even if the OC is HC, you still have an OC and you only moved the risk to a DC if the assumption is the HC has an offensive background so the OC is always replaceable.

I think I've been watching a disaster almost every football Sunday for the past 3 years. Change in OC doesn't necessarily mean scheme change. Lefleur to Smith for example. Variations of west Coast, air Coryel etc are transferable because almost everybody uses many of the concepts.

Just waiting to see what happens...

Lafleur never had a competent QB and we were running that 2 back thing. I think in hindsight he would have been the better hire. Arthur Smith owes his entire carrier to date to Derrick Henry, period.

Interesting seeing that everyone wants an OC as HC. What if the defensive guy brings in a brilliant young OC with a great passing attack plan and hands him the reins? And Carthon uses all that cap space to redo the oline and WR room accordingly. Screens to Spears. Let Levis sling it. Not sure I'd be opposed to that....

Then the following year, our new brilliant young OC will leave to be a HC. Making him the HC eliminates that possibility

Lafleur never had a competent QB and we were running that 2 back thing. I think in hindsight he would have been the better hire. Arthur Smith owes his entire carrier to date to Derrick Henry, period.
So JRob then.
JRob gave the OL to block for Henry and we see what Henry can do with a crap OL, and Att wouldn’t have gotten a job based on Henry’s performance if it was like 2023’s success.

Never know. Lafluer looks like he’s doing pretty well, but he’s only had 1 non-Aaron Rodgers season.

but the timing doesn’t make sense anyway, they just hired Vrabel when Lafluer left.

even if the OC is HC, you still have an OC and you only moved the risk to a DC if the assumption is the HC has an offensive background so the OC is always replaceable.

….and Jordan Love just threw for 4159 yards. 32tds and only 11int.

His record is better than Vrabels. He developed a young QB.

For the record, I wasn't trying to state that I think we should hire DC to be HC. I can just see that there may be some good combo of DC that brings a new OC that works really well. As much as I want a fun offense to watch, I also want whatever gets us wins and a chamionship.. Remember when we hired Vrabel and Lefleur... we got two of the top candidates at the time on the same staff. That was actually a pretty great job by AAS given what was known at the time. People were shocked abiut getting both of those guys to Tennessee.. I understand the concerns that the new OC may get poached. But there is no guarantee that happens again. It usually takes years for a guy to make that leap.

So....., OC to HC is probably good, but I think there are some other combos that may actually work well too. I just don't know enough about the candidates right now to say who I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back