Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever they did in those last two drives why can’t Kelly call plays like that every game? If it’s the tempo offense just stay no huddle 24/7

PSA: Episode 4 of “Hard Knocks: In Season with the Miami Dolphins” is tonight at 8pm central on Max.

giphy.gif

A good win by the Titans, and they made the game fun to watch. I can say they were a bit "electric", and I appreciated the way they played hard all the way to the end.

This was the weirdest win I’ve ever seen. How a team can continuously shoot itself in the foot through 50-odd minutes of football and then play great for the dying minutes and win is beyond me.

Just rewatched the Eric Garror muffed punt and the Dolphins player definitely grabbed his arm which kept him from catching the ball. Is that legal? I thought returners couldn’t get contacted until they caught the ball?

Just rewatched the Eric Garror muffed punt and the Dolphins player definitely grabbed his arm which kept him from catching the ball. Is that legal? I thought returners couldn’t get contacted until they caught the ball?
definitely illegal but not sure it's reviewable

definitely illegal but not sure it's reviewable
Because it resulted in a turnover it should have automatically been reviewed.

From the NFL rule book:

SECTION 1 - OPPORTUNITY TO CATCH A KICK
ARTICLE 1. INTERFERENCE
During a scrimmage kick that crosses the line of scrimmage, or during a free kick, members of the kicking team are prohibited from interfering with any receiver making an attempt to catch the airborne kick, or from obstructing or hindering his path to the airborne kick, and regardless of whether any signal was given.

Item 1. Contact with Receiver. It is interference if a player of the kicking team contacts the receiver, or causes a passive player of either team to contact the receiver, before or simultaneous to the receiver touching the ball.

Not illegal. The ball had hit the ground. They don’t have to give him space once it’s hit the ground. It’s why they train those guys to get out of the way.
So you can low punt it so it hits the ground and then block the returner from getting to it? That doesn’t seem right.

So you can low punt it so it hits the ground and then block the returner from getting to it? That doesn’t seem right.
Nevertheless that’s the case. You even quoted the rule, the key is “airborne kick”. Once it hits the ground you can block the returner. Can’t hold him or trip him or any other normal offenses though.

Because it resulted in a turnover it should have automatically been reviewed.

From the NFL rule book:

SECTION 1 - OPPORTUNITY TO CATCH A KICK
ARTICLE 1. INTERFERENCE
During a scrimmage kick that crosses the line of scrimmage, or during a free kick, members of the kicking team are prohibited from interfering with any receiver making an attempt to catch the airborne kick, or from obstructing or hindering his path to the airborne kick, and regardless of whether any signal was given.

Item 1. Contact with Receiver. It is interference if a player of the kicking team contacts the receiver, or causes a passive player of either team to contact the receiver, before or simultaneous to the receiver touching the ball.
The problem with this rule is it refers to the ball in the air, once it hits the ground, this rule is no longer in play regardless of a fair catch call or not.

Unfortunately, Garror let it bounce, then tried to catch off the bounce with guys all around him.
Just a bad move on his part, no penalty.

Sort of.
Even if they were to block the returner from getting the ball, until the receiving team touches it, the kicking team only has opportunity to down the ball, it’s not live yet.

The problem with this rule is it refers to the ball in the air, once it hits the ground, this rule is no longer in play regardless of a fair catch call or not.

Unfortunately, Garror let it bounce, then tried to catch off the bounce with guys all around him.
Just a bad move on his part, no penalty.
If that’s the case then I fault Garror slightly less. I would imagine that he believed he had the normal right to catch the ball without being interfered with and the ball was heading straight into his arms. I don’t think he anticipated the guy behind him grabbing his arm and pulling it back and may have not known that was legal. He definitely was trying to plead his case to Vrabel on the sideline that he was interfered with, and Vrabel said in the presser today that they wanted clarification on that.

If that’s the case then I fault Garror slightly less. I would imagine that he believed he had the normal right to catch the ball without being interfered with and the ball was heading straight into his arms. I don’t think he anticipated the guy behind him grabbing his arm and pulling it back and may have not known that was legal. He definitely was trying to plead his case to Vrabel on the sideline that he was interfered with, and Vrabel said in the presser today that they wanted clarification on that.
The fault on Garror is elementary stuff.
General rule, if a punt is landing within the 10 yard line, you let it go entirely.

If he in any way didn’t understand the rules after the ball hits the ground, he has no business returning punts and it would be another reflection of the absolute poor job Auckerman did and Vrabel allowed. I don’t think that’s the case though, this is 100 on Garror.

The fault on Garror is elementary stuff.
General rule, if a punt is landing within the 10 yard line, you let it go entirely.

If he in any way didn’t understand the rules after the ball hits the ground, he has no business returning punts and it would be another reflection of the absolute poor job Auckerman did and Vrabel allowed. I don’t think that’s the case though, this is 100 on Garror.
Yup- grade school kids know better than to do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back