Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Like the hire. Whether he called plays in the past is almost irrelevant. More important was how involved and important he was in the gameplan. The fact that Manning and Burrow trusted him with the gameplan design is more important to me.

This is great for Levis. Mathew Stafford had back-to-back 4,000-plus-yard passing seasons in 2016 and 2017 with Callahan as his position coach. Callahan's next stop with the Raiders helped Carr reach his first career 4,000-yard passing season. Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow threw for at least 4,400 yards in his two full seasons with Callahan as the offensive coordinator.
Superb Owls ….

Whisenhunt and Mularkey were absolutely offensive minded coaches. They were once both up and coming OCs who were considered QB gurus, just like Callahan.
In what world was Mularkey considered a QB guru? I could see Whisenhunt but that was for established veteran QBs who needed minor adjusting, not developing QBs from the ground up. Callahan has done both.

And neither coaches worked under the modern, innovative Shanahan coaching tree like Callahan.

up and coming OCs who were considered QB gurus

tenor.gif

Hope he's better than his father

HIs dad won just as many playoff games as Vrabel for what it's worth and actually made a SB. He got fired the next year b/c Gannon missed most of the season and Al Davis was notorious for firing coaches the second they had a losing season.

I'm not saying he was a good coach, but it's hard to judge him too harshly given the situation.

HIs dad won just as many playoff games as Vrabel for what it's worth and actually made a SB. He got fired the next year b/c Gannon missed most of the season and Al Davis was notorious for firing coaches the second they had a losing season.

I'm not saying he was a good coach, but it's hard to judge him too harshly given the situation.
His dad inherited a SB team.
That was Gruden’s team.

Whisenhunt and Mularkey were absolutely offensive minded coaches. They were once both up and coming OCs who were considered QB gurus, just like Callahan.

Uhh, what?

Mularkey was 54 when he took over the Titans and hadn't been an OC in over 4 years. And he was never a QB coach at any point in his career either. The words "Up and coming" and "QB guru" were never words anyone would have used to describe Mularkey in 2015.

Wisenhunt was certainly considered an offensive guru, but he also never coached QBs at any point. Not that it would have mattered given how little talent we had in 2014/2015. Those were probably the least talented teams we have had in Nashville. Truly awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
His dad inherited a SB team.
That was Gruden’s team.

You forget 2 things:

1. He was the Raiders OC the 3 seasons prior. So while he didn't construct the SB team, he was at least partially responsible for their success when Gruden was the HC.

2. The Raiders weren't a SB team when he took them over in 2002. They had just lost in the divisional round a year before in the Brady Tuck Game. When he took over as HC, the Raiders actually improved on offense, leading the NFL in passing and total offense while Gannon won the MVP.

Again, not saying he is/was a good head coach, but I can't be too harsh on him given the situation in 2003. And obviously his Washington stint as an interim HC can be taken with a grain of salt too.

He's been around a first ballot HOFer and burrow who is a stud. Levis should be thrilled. Another positive is it shows Ran isn't just going and hiring guys he knows from the 49ers. Now bring his dad in for the line!
Or a diversity hire. I was afraid that would have been his top priority. I don't mind it being a priority but not the top one.

Latest posts

Back