Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a few more reasons Julio will not be a Titan:

1. He’s guaranteed $28.6M over the next two seasons.
2. Played in only 9 games last season and is now 32 years old.
3. AJ Brown is better and will be Tanny’s #1 target for a long time.

Even if the Titans got Julio for a mid-round draft pick, he would need to take a dramatic pay cut. If he were willing to do that, why would the Falcons want to trade him?

What little cap space remaining will be used after June cuts to boost a few areas of need.

Julio is under contract 3 more years and gets paid $15, $11.5 and $11.5 base pay over the next three years and that is what he agreed to and the contract we would expect him to play under. He is 32 years old so that is good money for an aging WR. He isn't wanting out of Atlanta because he doesn't think his contract is adequate.

Now as for "featured" all he has to do is go to a team that has total crap across for him to accomplish that. But why is that in any way a motivating thing for him. At his age he wants to win a SB. He doesn't give rats turd if AJ gets 2000 yards if he can contribute and win a SB. Why would he? He has nothing to prove. Besides, he will get featured if he can get open and make plays. Saying "featured" or designated #1 or whatever other non-sense is non-sense. AJ Brown BECAME our #1 by kicking ass and taking names. Not by being crowned. A 2nd round pick took that from the #5 pick in the draft by being the better player.

Gee, imagine if we had two stud WRs who couldn't be guarded with single coverage and both had great years. Or I guess Brown is thinking, man I don't want Julio coming here. I want to be the "featured" guy. I want Jeff to call me the #1. I don't care if we win a bunch of games and go to the SB. Gee I wanna be #1.

You didn’t read that I understand that there isn’t necessarily a #1 or #2 WR? You’re nuts if you think Julio doesn’t want to remain the featured receiver and be paid like one.

You're nuts if you think the targets that Davis and Junnu got wouldn't largely be split between AJ and Julio. He would still be getting 110-120 targets minimum over 17 games.

Not to mention, at 32 I'm pretty sure Julio is wise enough to understand his playing days are closing in.

Julio is under contract 3 more years and gets paid $15, $11.5 and $11.5 base pay over the next three years and that is what he agreed to and the contract we would expect him to play under. He is 32 years old so that is good money for an aging WR. He isn't wanting out of Atlanta because he doesn't think his contract is adequate.
Who said he wasn't satisfied with his contract? You really need to quit putting words in my mouth.

The fact remains that he's guaranteed his money regardless if he plays it out in Atlanta or anywhere else UNLESS he's willing to accept less. IMO, he is not worth that guaranteed money which is why the Falcons are shopping him and Jones is unwilling to accept less.

Saying "featured" or designated #1 or whatever other non-sense is non-sense. AJ Brown BECAME our #1 by kicking ass and taking names. Not by being crowned. A 2nd round pick took that from the #5 pick in the draft by being the better player.
Brown was drafted because Davis wasn't getting it done. The Titans finally have a WR who is elite (and should only get better) but you want the team to give a 32-year old WR $24M guaranteed money to help the passing game when the Titans offense will still run through #22? That's a luxury the Titans can't afford with as many other areas of need and little cap $ left.

Gee, imagine if we had two stud WRs who couldn't be guarded with single coverage and both had great years. Or I guess Brown is thinking, man I don't want Julio coming here. I want to be the "featured" guy. I want Jeff to call me the #1. I don't care if we win a bunch of games and go to the SB. Gee I wanna be #1.
I don't know why I bother. Bottom line, he's not coming here for many reasons.

Who said he wasn't satisfied with his contract? You really need to quit putting words in my mouth.

The fact remains that he's guaranteed his money regardless if he plays it out in Atlanta or anywhere else UNLESS he's willing to accept less. IMO, he is not worth that guaranteed money which is why the Falcons are shopping him and Jones is unwilling to accept less.

Brown was drafted because Davis wasn't getting it done. The Titans finally have a WR who is elite (and should only get better) but you want the team to give a 32-year old WR $24M guaranteed money to help the passing game when the Titans offense will still run through #22? That's a luxury the Titans can't afford with as many other areas of need and little cap $ left.

I don't know why I bother. Bottom line, he's not coming here for many reasons.

We reportedly are super interested. So I wouldn't be so sure about that. The cap is going up next season and we have a need for offensive playmakers. As stated, our offensively philosophy will have to change with the extra game, along with Henry simply getting older and the history of RBs after a 2k yard season. Maybe Henry breaks the mold there, but history tells to expect a significant drop in production.

You're nuts if you think the targets that Davis and Junnu got wouldn't largely be split between AJ and Julio. He would still be getting 110-120 targets minimum over 17 games.
You guys talk like Julio's nine games and less than 800 yards of production last season isn't something that can't be matched. Is Julio more or less likely to stay healthy?

Did you know Firkser had only two less receptions than Jonnu last season starting only one game? The TE will always be important in the Titans offense and I expect that will continue.

Did you know Firkser had only two less receptions than Jonnu last season starting only one game? The TE will always be important in the Titans offense and I expect that will continue.

I mean yeah, you're right... but we have none....

Firsker is not starter caliber. He is solid role depth.

You guys talk like Julio's nine games and less than 800 yards of production last season isn't something that can't be matched. Is Julio more or less likely to stay healthy?

The obvious question is then who takes over Firkser's loadshare, if he's taking over Jonnu's share? Either way, you're looking at 200+ targets we lost from Davis, Hump, and Jonnu/Firkser. Firkser, Reynolds, and Fitz/McMath are not exactly the ideal options you're looking at to replace those targets,

Not only that, but Firkser can't block, so he will only be featured on obvious passing situations.

Julio missed significant time last year for the 1st time since 2013. I would hardly call him injury prone. I see no reason not to expect he can play at least 75% of the season. And he was still averaging a ridiculous 15 yards/reception and had a 75% catch rate. So he was still putting up elite numbers despite the injury.

Firkser has clearly improved as a blocker too. Go back and watch some clips. He is a hard worker and seems to improve from year to year. Hard to compare his stats to Jonnu last year as the TEs had to spend way too much time watching our tackles backs.

I thought that Jonnu was a great talent, but we have been using the TE by committee approach for the past several years. Firkser, Pruitt, and Swain have been pretty good collectively. Plus, we use our TEs a lot for blocking instead of receiving anyway.

NBC Sports Boston's Michael Holley reports Julio Jones wants to play for the Patriots.
"You know who (Jones) really wants to play with? He wants to play with Cam Newton," Holley said in a TV appearance. Jones also reportedly thinks Falcons QB Matt Ryan has "lost a little zing on his deep ball." The Julio trade rumors have started to heat up with Atlanta needing cap room to sign their draft picks. The Patriots, who acquired Mohamed Sanu from the Falcons for a second-rounder in 2019 and have a history of trading for veteran receivers, are one of the teams that could fit his $15.3 million base salary. The Chargers, 49ers, Raiders, and Colts have also been linked as possible Julio landing spots.

His guaranteed money is an issue considering his base pay is guaranteed but that isn't money paid out this year but over three years. Obviously if his production is down the $11.5 base the last two years could be an issue. Any bonus attached to the contract has already been paid and not something the Titans would be responsible for. We would only be required to pay $15 mil this year. The CAP hit if Atlanta keeps him, for them because of the prorated bonus money, is the $23 mil. Our CAP hit for the Titans would be $15 mil.

Not saying it is a wise thing to make the trade but it is more doable than your numbers. And my point about him being happy with his contract was that it isn't like he is going to expect a raise. Had nothing with putting words in your mouth.

Oh, by the way if we include a player like Evans in the deal that saves us his $2 mil base this year. They could save another $5 mil or so by cutting Saffold ($9.5 base - $4.7 dead money).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back