Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smith was better wit RAC than Firsker, no debate, but Firkshow has very reliable hands and can get open. He is also underrated as a blocker. People say that he can’t block, but aren’t actually going back and watching.

Literally every article that talks about his blocking regards it as poor. Even JRob called him out on it recently. He absolutely is not underrated as a blocker.

Literally every article that talks about his blocking regards it as poor. Even JRob called him out on it recently. He absolutely is not underrated as a blocker.
He is not a “knock you off the line” guy, but he has been efficient when I watch several isolated plays. I really don’t care about “articles” most them still frame Tannehill in his Miami days. In our scheme, he really isn’t asked to take on the number 1 Edge rushers. He can get to the second level and wall off LBs. People talk like he is an absolute whiff machine and he isn’t. Can he improve? Sure, and he has the work ethic and athleticism to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saffold has played well but if it's between him and Julio, I don't think there's a comparison. You cut him to sign Julio. What is his dead cap if we cut him this year? It may not provide enough space and may be too big of a hit to consider it.

If JRob had drafted Trey Smith in the 6th like most people wanted him to, cutting Saffold would be much easier. But he drafted a Safety from Oregon to play special teams.

He is not a “knock you off the line” guy, but he has been efficient when I watch several isolated plays. I really don’t care about “articles” most them still frame Tannehill in his Miami days. In our scheme, he really isn’t asked to take on the number 1 Edge rushers. He can get to the second level and wall off LBs. People talk like he is an absolute whiff machine and he isn’t. Can he improve? Sure, and he has the work ethic and athleticism to do so.

Do you care what JRob says? Cause he openly called him out about it. That typically isn't something that is done when someone is "underrated" at blocking.

As an FYI, he ran routes on 75% of his snaps (among the highest in the league at TE) and no tight end in the league blocked on a lower percentage of pass plays than him (0.9%).

Since we're in the Julio thread though, while I would love to have him, we do have bigger needs and he costs quite a bit. We could probably take the money we would have to give him and sign Trey Burton and vet WR that gets cut like Crowder.

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports the Falcons would "probably" trade Julio Jones for a second round draft pick "at this point."
Atlanta, looking to offload Jones' guaranteed money for the coming years, asked for a first rounder in exchange for Jones before the NFL Draft. That proved too pricey for teams interested in acquiring the all-time Falcons great, who missed most of the 2020 season with hamstring issues. Only the Jaguars, Jets, Broncos, Bengals, Lions, Browns, Chargers, and 49ers have enough salary cap space to absorb Julio's guaranteed $15.3 million 2021 salary without moving money around. Jones, 32, reportedly has interest in playing with Cam Newton in New England. He would instantly become the focal point of the Patriots' low-volume passing offense and his absence in Atlanta would presumably open up more targets for Calvin Ridley, Kyle Pitts, and Russell Gage. A Jones trade in the coming weeks could make Pitts the second highest drafted tight end in seasonal leagues, behind Travis Kelce.

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports the Falcons would "probably" trade Julio Jones for a second round draft pick "at this point."
Atlanta, looking to offload Jones' guaranteed money for the coming years, asked for a first rounder in exchange for Jones before the NFL Draft. That proved too pricey for teams interested in acquiring the all-time Falcons great, who missed most of the 2020 season with hamstring issues. Only the Jaguars, Jets, Broncos, Bengals, Lions, Browns, Chargers, and 49ers have enough salary cap space to absorb Julio's guaranteed $15.3 million 2021 salary without moving money around. Jones, 32, reportedly has interest in playing with Cam Newton in New England. He would instantly become the focal point of the Patriots' low-volume passing offense and his absence in Atlanta would presumably open up more targets for Calvin Ridley, Kyle Pitts, and Russell Gage. A Jones trade in the coming weeks could make Pitts the second highest drafted tight end in seasonal leagues, behind Travis Kelce.
Where do I sign? That's highway robbery IMO (in our favor).

PK was saying last week on their show that if the Titans restructured Tannehill it would save $20 million this season. We are in a window right now where we could potentially make a Superbowl if we add another piece or two. Julio may put us over the top. Why hasn't this been done already?

Do you care what JRob says? Cause he openly called him out about it. That typically isn't something that is done when someone is "underrated" at blocking.

As an FYI, he ran routes on 75% of his snaps (among the highest in the league at TE) and no tight end in the league blocked on a lower percentage of pass plays than him (0.9%).
Actually he said he need to “speed up” his blocking. I recognize he has shortcomings as a blocker, but as I stated, he is not just an orange cone placed on the field. He can and does wall off LBs and creates running lanes. Maybe not at the rate of a starting TE has done, but he hasn’t been a starting TE in the NFL. I am willing to watch him continue to improve and not get “nauseated “ because he is listed at TE 1.

Where do I sign? That's highway robbery IMO (in our favor).

PK was saying last week on their show that if the Titans restructured Tannehill it would save $20 million this season. We are in a window right now where we could potentially make a Superbowl if we add another piece or two. Julio may put us over the top. Why hasn't this been done already?
Well, “probably” doesn’t necessarily mean “will”. He missed 7 games last year so seems like our kind of guy.

Julio Jones said "I'm outta there" when asked if he wants to be traded.
Jones answered a question from Shannon Sharpe about whether he'd like to land in Dallas this season. It's not clear if Jones knew he was on live TV. Jones, 32, didn't name a preferred trade destination but reiterated he wants to win. It's the strongest indication yet that the Falcons great won't be on the team's Week 1 roster. New Falcons general manager Terry Fontenot has made no effort to shoot down chatter about a potential Jones trade. Meanwhile, Jones reportedly wants to play with Cam Newton in New England, though the Patriots are not among the nine teams with enough salary cap space to absorb Julio's guaranteed $15.3 million 2021 salary without moving money around. A blockbuster Julio trade in the coming weeks would send Calvin Ridley's and Kyle Pitts' average draft positions into orbit.

It makes me nauseous how they go to great pains to make sure they only ever mention the Pats.

Julio Jones said "I'm outta there" when asked if he wants to be traded.
Jones answered a question from Shannon Sharpe about whether he'd like to land in Dallas this season. It's not clear if Jones knew he was on live TV. Jones, 32, didn't name a preferred trade destination but reiterated he wants to win. It's the strongest indication yet that the Falcons great won't be on the team's Week 1 roster. New Falcons general manager Terry Fontenot has made no effort to shoot down chatter about a potential Jones trade. Meanwhile, Jones reportedly wants to play with Cam Newton in New England, though the Patriots are not among the nine teams with enough salary cap space to absorb Julio's guaranteed $15.3 million 2021 salary without moving money around. A blockbuster Julio trade in the coming weeks would send Calvin Ridley's and Kyle Pitts' average draft positions into orbit.

It makes me nauseous how they go to great pains to make sure they only ever mention the Pats.
We need to get him asap!!! That puts us in superbowl contention. Aj, julio, and henry. That will put the nfl on notice. He's worth a 1st round too for us since that 1st round will likely be 25 and higher!!

NE loses Brady, miss the playoffs, have a decent offseason and the nutswingers are back out in full force
Why Julio wants to play there with Newton is beyond me

What there saying about us as a landing spot...

Titans

There is an obvious connection between these organizations now, with former Titans offensive coordinator Arthur Smith now head coach of the Falcons. He knows that Tennessee roster inside out and there may be some young, cheap players he covets who aren't exactly frontline guys for the Falcons right now. And the Titans lost a top tight end and their No. 2 receiver in an offseason that saw quite a few defections at multiple positions, frankly. Those players left by and large because the Titans didn't want to pay what the market would, so grabbing a $15M receiver at this stage of the game would surprise me. I'm not sure that is where they are as an organization right now, knowing AJ Brown is going to be making top five WR money soon enough. It's worth noting that Spotrac has them last in the NFL in receiver payroll for 2021, but seems to me that is kind of by design knowing Brown is going to be ready for a mega deal come January. They have close to $200M already committed to payroll and that might be what they are comfortable with.

Last edited by a moderator:
We need to get him asap!!! That puts us in superbowl contention. Aj, julio, and henry. That will put the nfl on notice. He's worth a 1st round too for us since that 1st round will likely be 25 and higher!!
We would probably draft o-line with pick anyway, Get Julio to restructure and falcons pay half the salary, then trade them a one! We just do not need the colts to get him, period!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back