Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
More importantly, owners. Let’s be honest. Amy is a nice lady running her dads football team, having a good time but knows nothing about running a football team.
I think sometimes this is good.
One of the reasons Kraft has had so much success is that he allowed the people he hired to do their job.
One of the major issues people see with Dallas and Washington is that Jones and Snyder overstep their ownership into the GM/coaching business.

the overall issue is hiring the right people to allow to do their job.

I think sometimes this is good.
One of the reasons Kraft has had so much success is that he allowed the people he hired to do their job.
One of the major issues people see with Dallas and Washington is that Jones and Snyder overstep their ownership into the GM/coaching business.

the overall issue is hiring the right people to allow to do their job.
Exactly why I think Ran needs to execute the full authority of his position. Eventually this "we are equals" BS runs out of steam. Letting bad decisions happen in the name of this idea will destroy the team, the HC, and himself.

If we suck next year all of these hires and promotions he handed out to his boys gonna burn ol Vrabs. Is his ego so in huge he cant hire individuals who might bring in a different opinion? Sounds beta as hell to me. Or is he trying to become his daddy Bill Bilichick? Maybe both? All I know is he got his power over the team now he's got a big target on his back, expectations gonna be high next year.

Does anyone remember who were front runners for the HC job when Vrabel got it? Can't remember. Whoever it was, I wish we would've got him. Can't take this buddy system nonsense.

If we suck next year all of these hires and promotions he handed out to his boys gonna burn ol Vrabs. Is his ego so in huge he cant hire individuals who might bring in a different opinion? Sounds beta as hell to me. Or is he trying to become his daddy Bill Bilichick? Maybe both? All I know is he got his power over the team now he's got a big target on his back, expectations gonna be high next year.

Nah, now it's going to be "it takes a year or two for things to start falling in place with new coordinators". He afforded himself a few years to see if this was right or wrong hire, unfortunately.

Nah, now it's going to be "it takes a year or two for things to start falling in place with new coordinators". He afforded himself a few years to see if this was right or wrong hire, unfortunately.
I don’t think he did.
If he were a new HC hire, I think that excuse is possible but he hired from within and used the dreaded “familiarity” as part of the justification.

If he doesn’t have success, and probably quickly, fans will turn on him (if they haven’t already) and his leash is short.

I'd really like to know what the actual job is of a passing game coordinator.

I read somewhere in a comment section (probably not true), that Kelly was responsible for scripting the first 15 plays or what ever it is teams run.
My best guess is that the passing game coordinator is the person responsible for designing the scheme of the play, route concepts, motions, etc, and then during the season watching film on the opponent and recommending the best plays/schemes to use to attack the defense.

If that is true, then Kelly brings some positives and negatives from what I saw in 2022.

Positives:
  • I immediately noticed that our route design was significantly better than 2021. We didn't have 3 receivers running into the same areas
  • There were some decent route concepts at times, and Tannehill wasn't constantly throwing picks due to defenders being able to easily jump routes.
  • And of course, the scripted plays looked pretty darn good. If he truly was responsible for drawing those plays up, then he's not completely devoid of talent at designing plays.
Negatives:
  • We were near the bottom of the league in pre-snap motion. Pre-snap motion, particularly jet motions where receivers are coming at full speed across the formation, have been one of the most in vogue concepts of the past 5 years that the rest of the league has been using to great success. It stresses defenders, particularly linebackers, because they can easily get caught looking at the guy flashing past them, and miss the TE that's going up the seem. Or they don't go with the jet guy, and he gets the ball and out flanks them. Not using this concept in today's NFL is just completely insane. If he's designing the plays, he's responsible for putting in the motions too.
  • Our receivers had absolutely no separation most of the year. While you can certainly blame lack of talent, the scheme has to carry some blame. There are lots of ways to create space and get guys open underneath. There are "catch and carry" plays which are extremely effective on 1st and 2nd downs. Play action is of course great. And then there are WR screens, which brings me to the next bad mark.
  • The screen game was abysmal. The screen game is very important in todays game and it's all about timing and execution. The 2022 team looked like a high school scout team trying to run someone else's play book when we tried to run screens. They had no timing or coordination. The designs themselves looked broken. Nothing about them worked except for occasionally when Henry would get one in space and be able to start trucking down the field. Now is that all on the play designer? Probably not, but he sure didn't create any screens that made the offense look good or were easy to execute.

Does anyone remember who were front runners for the HC job when Vrabel got it? Can't remember. Whoever it was, I wish we would've got him. Can't take this buddy system nonsense.
Jon Gruden, matt Patricia, pat shurmur, frank Reich, Steve Wilks and Josh McDaniels were some that got hired/intereste

I know LaFleur was a candidate. I think they only interviewed like 3 or 4 candidates. J-Rob knew he wanted Vrabes the whole time.

Who remembers the first half against the Raiders where our offense actually looked competent and flawless? I remember we all thought Tim Kelly was calling the plays in the first half. No evidence that he was, but if he did that would make this hire just a tad bit easier to deal with.

But I'm 99.9% he didn't call any of the plays and I still hate this damn hire. Texans fans pretty laughing at this hire, the same way that the Raiders fans laughed at the Downing hire.
Texans fans have no right to laugh at anything.

We will throw the ball a lot more under Kelly. Whether we are good at it or not depends on talent. We will not be run first.
We will still be a run first team, but more balanced. Our 1st down play calling will be much less predictable. Kelly will also take his shots down field. This isn’t a bad hire. The OL hire is a head scratcher.

Does Luke Steckel have a father named Les?

Les Steckel was Fisher's second OC and he was too conservative even for Fisher. If you can believe that. Dinger replaced him.

Yes, Luke is Les' son. Went to high school in Brentwood while dad was coaching/coordinating.

We will still be a run first team, but more balanced. Our 1st down play calling will be much less predictable. Kelly will also take his shots down field. This isn’t a bad hire. The OL hire is a head scratcher.
I mean COLGATE and Williams, not the F1 team but the private elementary school from like 1820 the elphs ... Go Big Es

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back