Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
RollTide said:
Eddie george had just one season in his whole career when he averaged even 90 yards a game. He averaged 94 per in 2000. The rest of his prime he averaged around 85 per. From 2001 on he averaged just 65 per. Hardly the 100 yards a game you are talking about.

But hey you are usually wrong anyway.
So what if I am? I don't claim to be some kind of expert.

Thanks for your input. Damn, it's just hard to think anything good about EG now. It's been a while since he was "the workhorse" EG... that stat...I posted about more than a week ago btw...#1. it's overrated...#2.it's inaccurate...

Am I wrong about that too? (rhetorical question)

How many 100 yard games did any Titan have this year?
Don't bother to reply because I already know the answer.

When things get better people like me will stop talking about the way things used to be...(or used to be according to our recollections, not our latest glance of profootball-reference.com)

Tide, keep in mind that you are some kind of analyst poster where as I am just a joe six pack hard core Titan fan...I'm predjudiced and a homer and all that nonsense...I think with my heart mostly and not my brain...That's why I'll entertain the notion McNair is better than Manning, ect...

Mix up some decent Kool-Aide and I'll drink it.
Quit pi$$ing on my memories. :ha:

Yea, let's completely leave out that for many years of EG's tenure, we had no passing game at all. Brown is not a good running back. EG was not a great running back although he had a few good years. There is no way you can shake it otherwise.

Titans2008...

I thought you liiked steve mcnair but now you claim we had no passing game at all those years. That is not true. Interesting that the 2 years we threw the ball best were also eddie's worst years running. In 2001 and 2003.

How is brown a bad back? In the last 2 seasons he has averaged over 900 yards rushing and 240 yards receiving. He gives you 4.2 yards a carry and over 10 yards per catch. What he hasn't been able to do is finish a season and his play declines as the season where's on. Is he a stud pro bowl caliber back? No but his role wasn't to be that kind of player and he is not making that kind of money. The guy will only count 605,000 against the cap. Robert holcombe counted 800k his last year here.

Why all the brown bashing when travis henry has only gained 300 yards and change the past 2 seasons and was no more effective per carry in 2005 than brown was? Henry carries a $2M+ price tag based on his current contract and cost us a 3rd rd pick in this coming draft. What turned out to be very high third rd pick. Why is henry getting a pass? Brown misses an average of 4 starts a year due to injury but henry missed 4 games this season because he likes smoking ganja!

wel it kinda was eddies fault in the last few years, as you could see in dallas he just fell off. but this year i think just i duno, hartwig looked bad, so did hopkins and olsen has a high cap #. we might as well draft another g and t and a c because this way loper can back up the tackles, amano can back up the c and bell can start alongside piller with roos at lt and stewart at rt

GoT said:
more like 2,-3,4,1,-1,0,23,

ya forgot those negative plays he tosses onto the pile. But I do agree with Bamaboy in that CB will be a Titan, and even if the Titans get a RB Fisher will play the "veteran" CB you can count on it.

How about 2004 where Brown had over 1000 yards in only 11 games (why doesn't someone chart those games for us)?
He went over 100 yards 6 times. He only had 2 games where he averaged less than 4.0 yards per carry. Yea, lets dump that guy because in one year he obviously lost it. Or we could improve our vertical passing game and get some better blocking.

Considering Brown didn't have a single game with over 100 yards rushing this year I'd hardly say he's above average but he's not bad. I fault a lot of his short comings to a week oline but that's just how the NFL works. I couldn't imagine Shawn Alexander having a very good year playing for the Titans, on the other hand, had Brown been playing behind a better oline I could only imagine him being quite a bit better... I haven't given up on him but I don't know if i would want to keep him as our feature back. I'm not sold on him being able to carry the load. Then again, if we don't improve our oline I don't think any back could carry the load here...

Soxcat, good post. You bring up a valid point but not the one you think. C. Brown has been anything but durable, another good the for "the guy" to be in any rushing game. He is fragile.

Big TT said:
Soxcat, good post. You bring up a valid point but not the one you think. C. Brown has been anything but durable, another good the for "the guy" to be in any rushing game. He is fragile.

Yet Brown played 15 games last year, Henry only 10. Ignoring the 4 game suspension, Henry missed 2 games due to injury, Brown 1 (and 3/4 if you count the Cardinals game I guess). So yeah, I can see why Henry is such an upgrade, NOT.

RollTide said:
I thought you liiked steve mcnair but now you claim we had no passing game at all those years. That is not true. Interesting that the 2 years we threw the ball best were also eddie's worst years running. In 2001 and 2003.

How is brown a bad back? In the last 2 seasons he has averaged over 900 yards rushing and 240 yards receiving. He gives you 4.2 yards a carry and over 10 yards per catch. What he hasn't been able to do is finish a season and his play declines as the season where's on. Is he a stud pro bowl caliber back? No but his role wasn't to be that kind of player and he is not making that kind of money. The guy will only count 605,000 against the cap. Robert holcombe counted 800k his last year here.

Why all the brown bashing when travis henry has only gained 300 yards and change the past 2 seasons and was no more effective per carry in 2005 than brown was? Henry carries a $2M+ price tag based on his current contract and cost us a 3rd rd pick in this coming draft. What turned out to be very high third rd pick. Why is henry getting a pass? Brown misses an average of 4 starts a year due to injury but henry missed 4 games this season because he likes smoking ganja!

There is more to a passing game than a qb. In those days, Wycheck led our teams in catches iirc.

900 yards rushing won't get it done. 4.2 ypc is mediocre, but like it has been pointed out already, he doesn't push the pile or run away from defenders. He isn't shifty and he doesn't have good vision. He breaks off an occasional 10-20 yarder to balance out his stats. OK, so he is cheap. That's great. He would make a fine backup running back. That doesn't make him a good back.

Why not ? Our running game was horrible. That's what running backs do. They run. If he isn't running as well as someone else we could get, then he's not above criticism. Brown bashing doesn't have anything to do with Henry. They're both bad backs. I didn't like giving up a 3rd rounder last year, either. And as far as Henry's recreational habits... remember that drug use can be rehabilitated from. An injury-prone body isn't something that can be fixed. I think that the prospect of losing your career is a pretty strong motivator. He's still not worth the money, but hopefully we can turn that around by restructuring or better yet, just cutting him.

Titans2008 said:
There is more to a passing game than a qb. In those days, Wycheck led our teams in catches iirc.

900 yards rushing won't get it done. 4.2 ypc is mediocre, but like it has been pointed out already, he doesn't push the pile or run away from defenders. He isn't shifty and he doesn't have good vision. He breaks off an occasional 10-20 yarder to balance out his stats. OK, so he is cheap. That's great. He would make a fine backup running back. That doesn't make him a good back.

Who are you talking about? I agree Brown isn't a power back who moves piles. For that matter I don't think LT or Alexander qualify as pile movers either. I totally disagree that Brown has poor vision or cannot break away from defenders. Just watch some 2004 highlites.

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
Point is one of these years Tennessee has got to get a stud star calibur running back. Draft or FA. Top ten back...we could go like Washington did and buy ourselves a power running game. Just look what FA aquisition of Portis has done.

The Premier Free angent running backs this year.

Shawn Alexander
Edgerrin James
Jamal Lewis

Not bad choices and all are decent power backs

metal957 said:
The Premier Free angent running backs this year.

Shawn Alexander
Edgerrin James
Jamal Lewis

Not bad choices and all are decent power backs
Be careful metal...You might get a bad name thinking like I do...
Seriously though this running game is sorry and for the whole last month of the season I was hanging it on the O-line...now they were bad, don't get me wrong but Brown/Henry has been such a huge dissappointment...It's sick. I'm not for dumping them. I say improve the line and give 'em another shot.

I've been confused about CB's contract...If this is his last year I still say wear him out. I don't want him to resign. I like him okay. I just won't be looking for him in the future. Henry I'm lost on. Honestly, what little I've seen of Nash I've liked. I've always been riding Payton's jock but that's just for namesake...I like the idea of J.Payton. I still think he's good though.

In a future draft...i.e. if we take a qb in the first in this upcoming draft and we tank, which we likely will...man, seriously we need to get a beast type back. I hate using that term because it is not my own but Critical Theory has been right about the type of back the Titans need. I don't agree with his or others over the top criticism of Chris Brown, but I recognize that Brown is not good enough to be a stud, Probowl type player...

Even CB's best supporters concede he is not that. That's what we need IMO. The Titans are supposed to be a power running football team...what is wrong with the Titans lately? I'm not a big fan of the new Chow offense but the one thing it does feature is the run...But the run production sucks I don't care what the damn average is. The line sucks, kills needed 1st downs with stupid penalties...ramble, ramble, ramble...

FA for a running back is not an option for us this year.
That's what bargin bin T.Henry was supposed to be...
He was on sale so to speak...deeply discounted...
Guess what? We got ripped off.

If Brown/Henry doesn't put up this next season...
well, I'm in no position to make threats but I will be unhappy.:hmm:

BiPolar, which would you rather have:
1) a stud runningback, who can run behind any line
2) a "stud" O-line, who you can plug any runningback into and he does well (think Denver)

I want #2. It's cheaper, lasts longer and is less "injury prone".

So basically we had two former (and recent) 1000 yd backs running. Yet, both sucked. It kinda makes you think it was A) the line or B) the playcalling. It's simple logic. No need to look at the numbers here.

Vigsted said:
BiPolar, which would you rather have:
1) a stud runningback, who can run behind any line
2) a "stud" O-line, who you can plug any runningback into and he does well (think Denver)

I want #2. It's cheaper, lasts longer and is less "injury prone".
I think you start building a stud line. The selection of Roos was solid. I think in the draft the O-line should be added to. Once that stud line is materializing we should get that stud running back. I don't see why you can't build a team from the ground up.

Bottom line...Chris Brown, Tyrone Calico, Andre Woolfolk...
They have all...for one reason or another...have not met their draft day expectations. I bring those other player into citation for the sole purpose of legitimizing my claim that Chris Brown has not met his 3rd round (1st Day) expectation criteria.

Yes, Chris Brown has put up some good numbers at times. He's coughed the ball up and his production is sporatic. That, and he seems to have bad luck.

Luck? Luck you ask? Gee whiz, just ask Big TT about logic and reason. If logic and reason is out that luck is in. What about the OL penalties? That last sentence was utter bullcrap but the underlying theme here is that Chris Brown didn't turn out to be a steal here. When it's time to sign or sail I'm voting sail. Good luck to him but I hope we don't take some kind of 6-10 record and go courting him with offers.

I really think a franchise type RB should be in the draft plans next year.

btw- My impression with Denver and their success with the run over time is that it's attributed to the system that Shanahan runs.

Comparing Brown to Calico and Woolfolk is pure non-sense. Brown has far met or exceeded expectations for where he was drafted. Brown is a decent back. Just look at his 2004 numbers. Get out of the fog. RBS don't just dominate one year and stink the next unless there is an injury problem or a problem with the OL/Scheme. You even admit that one reason Denver has a consistent success in the run game is the scheme.

Soxcat, you honestly expect me to buy into that we expected Brown to spend all that time on the pine? It may be nonsensical but how is it pure non-sense? He was injured before he ever saw playing time. Keep in mind you're talking to a guy that thinks EG was a consistent starter...Seems Brown is always dinged. I'm sure Tide is going to come around and rip me to pieces but thank you for being so kind. I agree that he is good cheap labor. Most of what I am advocating is bringing in a new feature back after Brown's tenure is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back