Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember he got off to a rough start his first season here but after that he was good for us. Hopefully all this cap space thats being created now is used better than last year on defence

The thing about free agents....

We all follow our team much closer than anyone else. So we see a guy give up a catch or miss a tackle or get a penalty and say that we can easily replace them. Then we find a free agent list somewhere and we say that they will be better and cheaper than our guy. Because they are a bunch of dudes we barely heard of that aren't missing tackles and giving up catches on our television....

But all these guys are free agents for a reason. They are either going to be expensive or they are just like our guy giving up catches and missing tackles and getting penalties and their team (and their fans) doesn't want them back.

We all follow our team much closer than anyone else. So we see a guy give up a catch or miss a tackle or get a penalty and say that we can easily replace them. Then we find a free agent list somewhere and we say that they will be better and cheaper than our guy. Because they are a bunch of dudes we barely heard of that aren't missing tackles and giving up catches on our television....

But all these guys are free agents for a reason. They are either going to be expensive or they are just like our guy giving up catches and missing tackles and getting penalties and their team (and their fans) doesn't want them back.

Yes, this is the case most years. But this year is different because of the cap situation. If this was a normal cap year, I am not sure we would cut Butler. But because so many teams have cap issues, there will cut players they normally would not. This means there will be far better players in free agency this year than there normally are. And it also means there will be far less money than normal in the pool for signing them. So this year, and maybe only this year, you can get solid free agents for a lower price. If players are smart they will sign one year deals. Some might be smart to sit out year. But cutting expensive players with a low cap hit is a smart move give the current situation.

Yes, this is the case most years. But this year is different because of the cap situation. If this was a normal cap year, I am not sure we would cut Butler. But because so many teams have cap issues, there will cut players they normally would not. This means there will be far better players in free agency this year than there normally are. And it also means there will be far less money than normal in the pool for signing them. So this year, and maybe only this year, you can get solid free agents for a lower price. If players are smart they will sign one year deals. Some might be smart to sit out year. But cutting expensive players with a low cap hit is a smart move give the current situation.
This is exactly why the opinion that a lot of 1 year deals will be made this offseason is bandied about a lot.

Players don't get re-signed (or get outright cut) for a variety of reasons. Many times, it's because the previous team can't afford them. Other times, they have a capable replacement already on the team and have more pressing needs other areas. And even other times it's because a player wants to play in a certain market or for a particular team that is built for a SB.

So I wouldn't assume players getting cut or not re-signing with their former team means their former team doesn't want them or can't afford them. There are a lot of moving parts that go into these decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:

I disagree. If a player can't get the long term deal he wants that he would normally get in a regular off-season, I would advise him to sit out a year, rather than a take a 1 year cushion deal and re-enter FA next year. If you're in the upper tier of talent (and aren't over 30) your value isn't likely to be affected much by sitting out a year (see Le'veon Bell). And we've seen numerous times how playing on a 1 year deal can cripple your value if you get a significant injury (unless you're Dak Prescott apparently)

Players don't get re-signed (or get outright cut) for a variety of reasons. Many times, it's because the previous team can't afford them. Other times, they have a capable replacement already on the team and have more pressing needs other areas. And even other times it's because a player wants to play in a certain market or for a particular team that is built for a SB.

So I wouldn't assume players getting cut or not re-signing with their former team means their former team doesn't want them or can't afford them. There are a lot of moving parts that go into these decisions.

I was referencing the list on here a few pages back. It just didn't look very good.

Yeah, we can probably get the 4th cornerback from the worst team in the league cheaper than our #1 CB and captain. Does that make us better? Probably not.

I was referencing the list on here a few pages back. It just didn't look very good.

Yeah, we can probably get the 4th cornerback from the worst team in the league cheaper than our #1 CB and captain. Does that make us better? Probably not.

There is a very real possibility that the Titans plan to resign King and go with Adoree, Fulton, Borders and King. All guys on the team last year. They may not bring in anyone else.

I see.

I think there are a lot of solid options in FA at CB currently. And there's also the possibility we could bring back Butler at a reduced rate (though I think it's unlikely).

We don't need someone equal to Butler. We just need a solid corner at a reasonable rate and then spend the money saved on upgrading Edge.

There is a very real possibility that the Titans plan to resign King and go with Adoree, Fulton, Borders and King. All guys on the team last year. They may not bring in anyone else.

I would be totally on board with that. Draft another CB in the mid rounds to develop for a year or two and replace Adoree. If Aaron Robinson or Tay Gowan are available in round 3, we had better draft them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on what we do in FA it looks like it's gonna be a another tough year for the secondary. If we sign some pass rush in FA I see us going cb in round one possibly or round 2. We are gonna bring back Adores now for sure. It's gonna be 1)Adored 2) Boarders 3)Fulton 4)Draft pick?

Depending on what we do in FA it looks like it's gonna be a another tough year for the secondary. If we sign some pass rush in FA I see us going cb in round one possibly or round 2. We are gonna bring back Adores now for sure. It's gonna be 1)Adored 2) Boarders 3)Fulton 4)Draft pick?
We might also bring back King for the slot, then it would likely be Adoree and Fulton outside. I think we do draft a CB no later than 3rd round.

We might also bring back King for the slot, then it would likely be Adoree and Fulton outside. I think we do draft a CB no later than 3rd round.

Aaron Robinson/Tay Gowan are my favorites after the 1st round guys (unless one of the 1st round guys happens to fall).

I hope they can bring King back. I think year 3 is gonna be Fulton's break out year, just one more season to bake in the oven.

Aaron Robinson/Tay Gowan are my favorites after the 1st round guys (unless one of the 1st round guys happens to fall).
It all depends on what happens in FA. If we do in fact get pass rush help, then it opens the door to secondary help earlier. If not, who knows. I was surprised we drafted Wilson, so I don’t know what “football players who want be be here” we might draft.

Dont like the idea of fulton and a rook starting every game. Fulton is raw still and a rookie you just never know. 1 of those positions where the games faster, tougher and more diverse than college. Get a vet corner, draft Edge or 2 and corner for depth. Shit we need LBs also.

Dont like the idea of fulton and a rook starting every game. Fulton is raw still and a rookie you just never know. 1 of those positions where the games faster, tougher and more diverse than college. Get a vet corner, draft Edge or 2 and corner for depth. **** we need LBs also.
We need a bunch and it ain’t all coming from the draft. It would probably behoove us to trade down unless a real stud drops to us. If we get three guys in the top 50ish, it may serve the roster more.

This is what I expect. With a late round rookie to come in as a developmental and special teams guy.

Either:
1. Sign King, draft CB round 4-7
2. Don't sign King, draft CB round 2-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back