Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still can't believe we didn't take full advantage of that opening kickoff fumble. Had a straight up gift and couldn't generate no type of offense to take a 7-0 lead.

This loss just flat irritates me to the core.

Chargers
Browns
Bengals

Could get ugly quick.

Just wanted to point out the coaching was almost as poor as the offense yesterday.

Couple of examples:
Vrabel going conservative and predictably losing
New OC running out empty sets, Henry out wide and wasting red zone drives with wildcat gadget stuff. Frustrating.

I still can’t get over Vrabel becoming “safe” and “conservative” with the decision to kick a field goal instead of going for it on 4th down. It proved his lack of confidence in our offense and probably lost us the game.

Definitely not.

but let’s make sure we got your talking points straight you said:
“I was assured Tanne still had it.”
-subjective on what “it” is, but I’ll sign that. I did say he was still capable.

“I was assured if we got him weapons he'd be back to playing like he did in 2020.”
-not sure who said this, but given some weapons, reasonable to assume we see a safer version. He only threw 7 INTs that year.

“I was assured QB was the last thing we needed this past draft”
-was this even about THill for the people who said they didn’t want to see them take a QB? Plenty argued against the options of QB to draft. And gaurentee no one said QB was the “last thing” needed. It just wasn’t the first.

When I have time I'll look. I know for a fact I argued endlessly against all these points. And specifically regarding the draft, several of us wanted to move on from Tanne, by any means necessary. But mostly, we wanted to trade him for whatever we can get, tank this season, and draft Caleb Williams/Drake Maye next year. This team lacked a lot of talent on offense and didn't do much to address it this off-season.

I still can’t get over Vrabel becoming “safe” and “conservative” with the decision to kick a field goal instead of going for it on 4th down. It proved his lack of confidence in our offense and probably lost us the game.
For all that went wrong yesterday, I thought this was the right call. We hadn't moved the ball all game and I had no confidence in our team to pick up the yards we needed to convert. It was a struggle all day long just trying to pick up yards. Kicking just put us behind by 1 point. Vrabes thought his defense could get us the ball back - which I think was a safer bet with how the game was going, than putting it all on one play with the offense.

There is a ton to be disappointed and frustrated about from yesterday's game. But one thing I didn't see anyone mention - Where was Treylon Burks? This guy is a 1st round WR, had I think one catch and a big drop. He's got to do better getting open and making plays. He was invisible yesterday.

He cut off his manhood balls included after the AFC championship appearance.

There is a ton to be disappointed and frustrated about from yesterday's game. But one thing I didn't see anyone mention - Where was Treylon Burks? This guy is a 1st round WR, had I think one catch and a big drop. He's got to do better getting open and making plays. He was invisible yesterday.
Tanny to busy forcing the ball to Hopkins. He sticks to his first read and if it's not there he forces the pass or the ghosts get him and he takes a sack.

When I have time I'll look. I know for a fact I argued endlessly against all these points. And specifically regarding the draft, several of us wanted to move on from Tanne, by any means necessary. But mostly, we wanted to trade him for whatever we can get, tank this season, and draft Caleb Williams/Drake Maye next year. This team lacked a lot of talent on offense and didn't do much to address it this off-season.
Now I know you’re speaking for the minority. Very few wanted to “tank” mostly because tanking is stupid and a proven failure of a strategy.
And “most” did not want to trade THill specifically because it was known that no team would pick up that cap hit.

even with that, literally no one said that QB was the last thing needed in the draft, 0 people, none. Not agreeing that it’s the highest need is not the same as saying it is so little of a need that it’s last for this roster.
That’s what makes your entire comment of sarcasm lost because you’re speaking sarcasm to something that was never said.

Somebody posted it but the analytics said they had a higher chance of winning the game by going for it on that 4th down. I guess so much for the new analytics huh Vrabes? Mike Herndon said it best as well. He made a decision relying on his defense then turned around and then made the opposite another decision the next time. Consistency.

Also, important to note. Henry was out snapped by Spears.

Somebody posted it but the analytics said they had a higher chance of winning the game by going for it on that 4th down. I guess so much for the new analytics huh Vrabes? Mike Herndon said it best as well. He made a decision relying on his defense then turned around and then made the opposite another decision the next time. Consistency.

Also, important to note. Henry was out snapped by Spears.
Your last point is what makes the first so unbelievable. In the context of the game, analytics don’t fit. There was no way Tannehill was going to get a first down and score. The field goal gave the best chance. However, you know what would have given the Titans the absolute best chance to win? Feed Henry!!!!!!

For all that went wrong yesterday, I thought this was the right call. We hadn't moved the ball all game and I had no confidence in our team to pick up the yards we needed to convert. It was a struggle all day long just trying to pick up yards. Kicking just put us behind by 1 point. Vrabes thought his defense could get us the ball back - which I think was a safer bet with how the game was going, than putting it all on one play with the offense.
my initial thoughts as well... BUT I pivoted to if Titans failed on 4th down would have left saints backed up and D was supposed to hold giving Titans a short field to go for the win

If I remember correctly, wasn’t the opening game (longest in history) against Miami marred with a blown fumble recovery too? That’s was 2018 season opener.

just thought about it considering the recent “luck” the titans seem to get on these pass vs fumble calls.

Has anyone posted the snap counts yet? I am very interested to see Derrick Henry's. I just want confirmation its not my ego tellin me "new oc same problem" and that it is indeed a fact he barely saw the field in the second half. Spears was out there way more than he was

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone posted the snap counts yet? I am bery interested to see Derrick Henry's. I just want confirmation its not my ego tellin me "new oc same problem" and that it is indeed a fact he barely saw the field in the second half. Spears was out there way more than he was
From what I’ve heard;
Henry -30
Spears -34

That’s insanely stupid.

Has anyone posted the snap counts yet? I am bery interested to see Derrick Henry's. I just want confirmation its not my ego tellin me "new oc same problem" and that it is indeed a fact he barely saw the field in the second half. Spears was out there way more than he was
Henry had 15 total carries, 5 in the second half, 4 were 4th qtr.

Your last point is what makes the first so unbelievable. In the context of the game, analytics don’t fit. There was no way Tannehill was going to get a first down and score. The field goal gave the best chance. However, you know what would have given the Titans the absolute best chance to win? Feed Henry!!!!!!
It doesn't matter how badly the QB is playing, you don't give the other team the ball while losing with 2:30 left in today's NFL. It seems like the big dick Vrabel who went for the wins vs the Eagles and Chargers in 2018 is gone.

It doesn't matter how badly the QB is playing, you don't give the other team the ball while losing with 2:30 left in today's NFL. It seems like the big dick Vrabel who went for the wins vs the Eagles and Chargers in 2018 is gone.
I’m not really arguing that the FG was the right move. What I’m pointing out is that playing it safe makes zero sense when forcing a passing attack, that wasn’t working, all second half only to admit it won’t work at that moment.

All Vrabel had to do to win that game was tell Tim Kelly to cut out the “new” offense crap and give the ball to Henry. Fans would have complained that the offense hadn’t changed at all, but the Titans would have won the game.

I’m willing to give the new offense a chance to succeed. It just has the wrong QB. Titans would have won easily with average QB play. There should be no dispute in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back