Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playoff numbers say otherwise.

Henry shown flashes of being elite even in his rookie year but he ran soft. He even admitted Eddie George helped him toughen up.

How do playoff numbers say otherwise? The Titans the last few years haven’t thrown the ball in the playoffs. Tannehill runs the plays he is told to run. He has no choice. If the team wants to run the ball, which they did because of a suspect defense to eat clock and keep the ball out of the hands of the other teams, it’s not his fault. There is no intelligent way to dispute that having Tannehill under center helped Henry take it to an elite level. With Mariota Henry was really good. With Tannehill he is looking like one of the best ever.

Henry is a beast, but he wouldn’t do this with just anyone under center. Tannehill and the threat of the deep pass matters. Defenses play the Titans different. With a much improved passing game it helps the running game and vice versa.

EG's benefit is over emphasized IMO. Henry's first two years were with Mularkey where we did not run a zone scheme. Henry also played behind Murry his rookie season and Murray had almost 1300 yards. When Vrabel took over they were enamored with Dion Lewis. I'm sure EG helped Henry but the ability just needed to be tapped into.

True, but it's also very evident in how Henry runs now versus his beginning years. Even when he first came into the league, we already knew Henry had rare speed and open field ability for giant of a running back, but he was not stiff arming defenders into a place where time doesn't exist.

How do playoff numbers say otherwise? The Titans the last few years haven’t thrown the ball in the playoffs. Tannehill runs the plays he is told to run. He has no choice. If the team wants to run the ball, which they did because of a suspect defense to eat clock and keep the ball out of the hands of the other teams, it’s not his fault. There is no intelligent way to dispute that having Tannehill under center helped Henry take it to an elite level. With Mariota Henry was really good. With Tannehill he is looking like one of the best ever.

Henry is a beast, but he wouldn’t do this with just anyone under center. Tannehill and the threat of the deep pass matters. Defenses play the Titans different. With a much improved passing game it helps the running game and vice versa.

Tannehill obviously is a good quarterback, but I was responding to the statement that Tannehill made Henry, which isn't true. Henry opens up the offense more for Tannehill than the other way around. I brought up the playoff numbers because in our two playoff wins since the Tannehill and Henry duo, Henry literally carried the offense with historic numbers while Tannehill threw like 4 passes.

The one playoff game Henry was shut down, the Ravens stacked the box and were begging Tannehill to beat them.

True, but it's also very evident in how Henry runs now versus his beginning years. Even when he first came into the league, we already knew Henry had rare speed and open field ability for giant of a running back, but he was not stiff arming defenders into a place where time doesn't exist.

Just read that another piece of Josh Norman was found in Lake Maracaibo in Venezuela by recreational divers. May his soul rest in peace.....

Tannehill obviously is a good quarterback, but I was responding to the statement that Tannehill made Henry, which isn't true. Henry opens up the offense more for Tannehill than the other way around. I brought up the playoff numbers because in our two playoff wins since the Tannehill and Henry duo, Henry literally carried the offense with historic numbers while Tannehill threw like 4 passes.

The one playoff game Henry was shut down, the Ravens stacked the box and were begging Tannehill to beat them.
That was 100% on the person calling the plays. It was driving me crazy, we should have been destroying them over the top.

This is correct. In last years playoffs game, the Ravens sold out to stop the run, and did. Tannehill was not able to take advantage. So while in the past, Tannehill has opened it up for Henry, and both have benefited from each other, I would give the nod to Henry being the guy that teams are most scared of and try to stop.

What fantasy world says we sold out anything? We aren't any different than any other team with a franchise QB. We haven't mortgaged CAP space hardly at all. Yes, we gave up a 2nd round pick for Julio. Julio might give us a few years and his base drops next year. If we re-signed Davis it would have cost us the same in money. We didn't sign Dupree and Autry for ONE year.

Basically as long as we have Tannehill playing at a high level we are in the window. And that is another fallacy; that Tannehill does it with smoke and mirrors because of Henry and such. Well, we could go all out throwing the ball and have a heck of a passing offense. Tannehill is a guy who threw for 4000 yards his 2nd, 3rd and 4th years in the league. Tannehill threw for almost 4000 yards last year with a 2000 yard rusher. Not that we want to but we could be a 5000 yard passing team if we wanted.

Look at the key players who are FA’s next season and then look at our cap space. A lot of holes to potentially fill with not a lot of money to do so.

No one is upset about it. It’s just the reality of the situation. Some on here just can’t deal with that reality.

So you would prefer to keep Saffold instead of having Julio? We can cut him and save $7 mil. We drafted a good looking LB so if we lose both Brown and Evans were have decent players to step in. Even Julio can be cut if he tanks but he only makes $11.5 next year.

We actually do not lose that many players to FA next year anyway. Landry might be the biggest loss. Ben Jones? Firkser might end up being a guy we need to keep. Josh Reynolds? Welcome to the NFL. All teams have the same problem especially if you are paying a QB.

I'd rather have Julio than Landry if given the choice since we can draft an edge guy and still have Dupree. Guys like Landry, decent player but a guy who probably gets $10+ a year, are guys that really don't tip the scales for a SB. Guys like Julio can. JRob is a good enough drafter/signing UDFA he can replenish what we need if we have to replace guys like Jones (who we could probably keep for $7 mil. The situation is not that bad.

By the way we should receive a comp pick (4th round) next year.

New Orleans ended last season NEGATIVE 100 mil in cap space. I am sure our guys making hundreds of thousands of dollars to work the cap will figure something out.

So you would prefer to keep Saffold instead of having Julio? We can cut him and save $7 mil. We drafted a good looking LB so if we lose both Brown and Evans were have decent players to step in. Even Julio can be cut if he tanks but he only makes $11.5 next year.

We actually do not lose that many players to FA next year anyway. Landry might be the biggest loss. Ben Jones? Firkser might end up being a guy we need to keep. Josh Reynolds? Welcome to the NFL. All teams have the same problem especially if you are paying a QB.

I'd rather have Julio than Landry if given the choice since we can draft an edge guy and still have Dupree. Guys like Landry, decent player but a guy who probably gets $10+ a year, are guys that really don't tip the scales for a SB. Guys like Julio can. JRob is a good enough drafter/signing UDFA he can replenish what we need if we have to replace guys like Jones (who we could probably keep for $7 mil. The situation is not that bad.

By the way we should receive a comp pick (4th round) next year.

Re read the last paragraph on my last post. You’re trying to create an argument that doesn’t exist.

Just like last time when I posted something factual about the cap numbers and you wanted to argue

I wouldn't call that an argument. The point was simply that this is par for the course for good teams with a QB getting paid. In the scheme of things we are not in that bad of shape.

New Orleans ended last season NEGATIVE 100 mil in cap space. I am sure our guys making hundreds of thousands of dollars to work the cap will figure something out.

Saints had to cut a lot of good players to make that happen and lost their QB who made up a large chunk of that negative cap number.

Titans will certainly be under the cap, but it might mean a lot of guys being cut to make it happen. It’s important we make this year count for sure.

You literally went back and forth for a couple of pages on here trying to dispute Tannehill’s cap hit next year. But sure whatever you say dude.

Saints had to cut a lot of good players to make that happen and lost their QB who made up a large chunk of that negative cap number.

Titans will certainly be under the cap, but it might mean a lot of guys being cut to make it happen. It’s important we make this year count for sure.
Certainly think this year is do it… I’m ok with that

Ben Jones will take a vet minimum deal or be replaced by Brewer.
Jayon will sign an extension or be replaced by Monty Rice
Firkser will sink or swim this year so who knows, TE in the draft next year or sign FA OJ Howard.
Reynolds will be replaced by Fitzpatrick
Landry will sign an extension or be replaced by Weaver

We have quality young guys waiting in the wings for almost all positions that may open up. JRob has done a legit job of planning ahead.

Ben Jones will take a vet minimum deal or be replaced by Brewer.
Jayon will sign an extension or be replaced by Monty Rice
Firkser will sink or swim this year so who knows, TE in the draft next year or sign FA OJ Howard.
Reynolds will be replaced by Fitzpatrick
Landry will sign an extension or be replaced by Weaver

We have quality young guys waiting in the wings for almost all positions that may open up. JRob has done a legit job of planning ahead.
Wishful thinking here but I’d love to be wrong.
I have my doubts rice, Fitzpatrick, and Weaver all become regular starters.

Plus, I’d rather draft TE over OJ Howard. Not really sure I understand the hype for that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back