Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now, Ima mention some shows that I'll bet none of you are watching.
Now that we have CGI and superheros and graphic death scenes all over the place, sometimes the palate must be cleansed, like a bite of plain steamed rice between those heavily spiced banchans and teishokus.
For this I enjoy Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories, in which short human interest character study stories happen to patrons of a small after-hours izukaya. Occasional risque content scaled at around 1.5/10, but totally wholesome in comparison to other Japanese television.
Similar to this but even more obsessively wholesome is Samurai Gourmet, in which a retired 60-year-old company man tries to decide what to do for lunch every day with occasional help from his spirit guide: a lone masterless wandering samurai warrior. I am fortunate in that while watching the miso ramen episode and starting to crave same, my wife whipped some up and fixed that problem without my asking. Maybe I like shows like this because they remind me that I finally married correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
SNL is as bad as it's ever been right now. I think they actually have some really good cast members. The writing is just beyond terrible. And they've totally given up on trying to appeal to anyone other than the far left. I guess they see that is their only chance at survival since they suck so much at comedy now.

SNL is as bad as it's ever been right now. I think they actually have some really good cast members. The writing is just beyond terrible. And they've totally given up on trying to appeal to anyone other than the far left. I guess they see that is their only chance at survival since they suck so much at comedy now.
Every time I've watched the show in the past several years they've been cashing in on adolescent toilet humor and sex puns. It's not funny, topical, subversive or even clever. It is not coincidental that this is why I have hated all modern comedy movies, because they have the same problem.
Not to give ammo to right wing wackos or cross the lines of the TOS, but I do think that comedy has suffered due to PC culture. We can't have an Akroyd or Pryor any more, nor can we have even a Bugs Bunny. All this makes me wonder how many good scripts have been File 13'd up in 30 Rock because either the other writers or maybe even Lorne Michaels himself got offended?

Not to give ammo to right wing wackos or cross the lines of the TOS, but I do think that comedy has suffered due to PC culture. We can't have an Akroyd or Pryor any more, nor can we have even a Bugs Bunny. All this makes me wonder how many good scripts have been File 13'd up in 30 Rock because either the other writers or maybe even Lorne Michaels himself got offended?
Absolutely comedy in general has suffered due to PC culture. There is zero doubt about that. Comedians are now routinely being forced to apologize, or even having their careers harmed/ruined, all because a JOKE is deemed "insensitive."

There was actually a decent documentary on this subject I watched not too long ago.

i dunno man

the new Chappelle was good imo, and Louie CK was great, Bill Burr is also fantastic. I think standup is doing well. I dont know about movies or television though.....

th

i dunno man

the new Chappelle was good imo, and Louie CK was great, Bill Burr is also fantastic. I think standup is doing well. I dont know about movies or television though.....
Sure. Although I would say those guys are the elite of the elite anyway. When you're at that kind of level I think it's easier to get away with more. Or at least not care about any potential repercussions.

The documentary I mentioned makes the case that free speech in comedy is moving backwards. And it's largely young liberals who are pushing it in that direction. Ironically, the same group (at least in name only) who pulled comedy out of the censorship era several decades ago.

Just look at the Tracy Morgan incident in Nashville from years back. He had to go on a damn apology tour and had his career severely impacted over a joke at an untelevised standup show. When that type of thing happens, I think it's easy to make the case that it affects the type of material other comedians, writers, producers, etc. are comfortable putting out into the world.

I thought it was funny that on the day we started this conversation Louis CK does an SNL opening monologue that rejects everything we've said. Loved it.

Finally caught a new episode of Sesame Street since it moved to HBO... about what I expected. Pretty much the same, except they "do" more with the sets and shots. Cast is going to be forever changing, but still saw some of the same cast from last season.

Not better, not worse... just a bit different. Kids won't notice.

And for Alexis' benefit... they still have Super Grover 2.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back