Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
The-Knick-season-2.jpg

FANTASTIC NEW SHOW alert.

The Knick (on Cinemax surprisingly). Brutal but beautifully shot show about a New York hospital on the edge of the hood in the early 20th Century. Addiction, racism, mobster culture etc. converge in the bloodiest of operating rooms.
Frankenstein without the monsters...

I remember being excited 20ish years ago when SciFi channel came on. Like most channels they wer pretty good - at first.

Now they are Syfy for some dang reason and they are more interested in producing cheap, and I mean cheap, original content rather than good content.

If you can stomach original movies like 'giant sewer rat vs albino alligators' then you love Syfy channel.

I rarely watch it.

AMC/FX/Science channel gets my eyeballs most of the time I spend watching TV

I remember being excited 20ish years ago when SciFi channel came on. Like most channels they wer pretty good - at first.

Now they are Syfy for some dang reason and they are more interested in producing cheap, and I mean cheap, original content rather than good content.

If you can stomach original movies like 'giant sewer rat vs albino alligators' then you love Syfy channel.

I rarely watch it.

AMC/FX/Science channel gets my eyeballs most of the time I spend watching TV
Add it to the list of former quality channels that sold their soul for reality and/or terrible original programming. The History Channel apparently thinks "history" means "pawn shops and aliens". And TLC, which used to stand for The Learning Channel, has crap like Honey Boo Boo.

TLC bullied their way onto basic tier cable by having teachers carry their water demanding the channel. Major cable companies buckled and a few years later nothing of any use is shown any more, but the channel is still basic tier so everyone has to get it. Brilliant move by TLC but still pretty real turrible

Anybody watch the premiere of Gotham? I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. If I had one complaint it was that it seemed like they were trying to jam too many well known characters into one episode. It came off a bit like blatant winking at the audience.

Anybody watch the premiere of Gotham? I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. If I had one complaint it was that it seemed like they were trying to jam too many well known characters into one episode. It came off a bit like blatant winking at the audience.

I was surprised. I like it. Believe I'll keep watching.

The Poison Ivy plug was a bit much.

Penguin makes sense.

Catwoman is supposed to be a teenage whore not a rooftop running teenage purse snatcher.

Concentrate on Gordon and GCPD and this could be good.

I think it should focus on escalation. Maybe a monster of the week type thing with Gotham gradually getting out of control over a few seasons reaching a point where GCPD loses control of the city being run by Penguin, the mob and others.

I was surprised. I like it. Believe I'll keep watching.
I was very pleasantly surprised.

The Poison Ivy plug was a bit much.
Yeah. The two that made me roll my eyes were the Riddler and particularly Ivy. Little girl all decked out in a green stroking a plant. Ugh.

Totally minor grip though as I really enjoyed the whole show. All the character introductions packed into one episode just kinda came off like "Get it guys! It's Batman but not really!". It would've have seemed so forced if they would've spread these appearances out over a few episodes.

I was very pleasantly surprised.

Yeah. The two that made me roll my eyes were the Riddler and particularly Ivy. Little girl all decked out in a green stroking a plant. Ugh.

Totally minor grip though as I really enjoyed the whole show. All the character introductions packed into one episode just kinda came off like "Get it guys! It's Batman but not really!". It would've have seemed so forced if they would've spread these appearances out over a few episodes.

Last night's episode was even better than the first.

Penguin is a brutal psychopath.

We got more cop drama and less comics references. Introduced a really twisted villian from Batman that they've yet to explain or show.

Dollmaker is not you typical supervillain. He is more Silence of the Lambs than Batman and Robin which will work great for this show.

If they get multiple seasons I hope they jump ahead a few years in each one.

Gotham needs to just concentrate on Batman mobster rogue gallery.

- Penguin
- Roman Sionis - pre Black Mask
- Maxie Zeus - No powers
- Mob families Maroni and Falcone
- Dollmaker
- Professor Pyg
- Maybe Jervis Tetch, The Mad Hatter
- Victor Zsasz
- Calendar Man
- Deadshot
- Hugo Strange
- The Ventriloquist

There are plenty of grounded Batman villians that are older and are really twisted.

We don't need to see:

Riddler
Joker
Killer Croc
Scarecrow
Bane
Man - Bat
Ras Al Ghul or Deathstroke as Arrow covers them.
Poison Ivy
Mr. Freeze
Clayface

Leave all.of them out of it please or the show will get dumb real fast.

Maybe have younger version cameo or be mentioned like Ivy but for the love of god ignore them after that for this show to work...

I know they are gonna fuck it up.

Totally agree with your entire post XO.

They really could be on to something here if they play it right. But like you, I'm afraid the show could end up being its own worst enemy if they can't resist the urge to pack in as many well-known, but cartoon-ish, Batman villains as possible. The pilot sure made it seem like that would be the case. But to be fair, its not uncommon for pilots to be quite different than the remainder of a series.

This has the potential to be the surprise hit show of the year.

Leave all.of them out of it please or the show will get dumb real fast.

Maybe have younger version cameo or be mentioned like Ivy but for the love of god ignore them after that for this show to work...
There's a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it. E.G. You don't have to have young Ivy with fire red hair, wearing all green, and stroking a plant. People who are familiar enough with Batman to know who Ivy is do not need to be beat over the head with it. It could've just been a little girl named Ivy and everyone would've known who that was supposed to be. Or at the very least people would be wondering "Is that supposed to be Poison Ivy?" Leave a little mystery to it.

Just like with Riddler.... How cool would it have been if we would have seen this oddball character for several episodes BEFORE it was revealed his name was Edward Nigma? Instead right off the bat they have him telling a riddle and Harvey going "That Nigma sure isn't right in the head".

Homeland starts back this Sunday. Can't wait. Last season was the worst thus far but I'm still all in. This has probably been my overall favorite show the past couple years.

Walking Dead.... it's just tough to get too excited about it anymore. The last few seasons have been big letdowns IMO. This season does look to have potential though. I really hope it's going to bounce back. If I get 4 or 5 episodes in and it feels like more of the same BS I'm probably going to just throw in the towel on it, unfortunately.

I'll watch Homeland and Walking Dead as long as they run them.
The Knick is easily the best new show since True Detective.
Looking forward to Gracepoint even though I saw the original version Broadchurch and it may not fluctuate in regard to the story much...

Did anyone else follow The Killing all the way through to the end?
I enjoyed that show in all of its seasons and I can't say I necessarily hated the finale but it was so out of left field that I was left kinda stunned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back