Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the write up on the Titans is spot on and the problem I have with this. Unless Burks comes out and has a Randy Moss-esque rookie season, then at best, the Titans used their first round pick to basically stand still. I think the Chiefs and BIlls are the favorites out of the AFC, but the TItans should be in the playoffs. And considering we just saw a team make an unexpected SB run, it makes no sense to me to not try and upgrade at any position, and instead essentially stand still at the receiver position.

yeah I get your points but he’s still a rookie. He’s not AJ even though everyone wants to comp him as one. ‘To stand still’ is still being pretty optimistic that a rookie WR comes in, learns the offense with a terrible Coordinator and a mediocre Qb and picks up where he left off in college and just becomes AJ over night in the NFL. It’s a stretch man.

I’m just perplexed as to why nobody is talking about how often A.J. was injured last season, how soon you all forget. No way JRob was taking that risk and paying him that much money, good luck Eagles, that’s a risky contract.

I’m totally cool with this trade and the pick they made for Burks. A little more in exchange would’ve would’ve been nice, but A.J sitting out all season and getting nothing for him would’ve sucked way more, so, seriously, everyone come down off that ledge.

I’m just perplexed as to why nobody is talking about how often A.J. was injured last season, how soon you all forget. No way JRob was taking that risk and paying him that much money, good luck Eagles, that’s a risky contract.

I’m totally cool with this. Little more in exchange would’ve would’ve been nice, but A.J sitting out all season and getting nothing for him would’ve sucked way more, so, seriously, everyone come down off that ledge.
A 1st and a 3rd is a good return for a 1000 yd WR

This was a $20 million business decision, simple as that. I hate it but it was trade him now and get his replacement or potentially loose him next year for nothing. Titans weren't going to give him 25 mil a year and Brown wasn't taking less than that. I just hate it wasn't for more draft capital. 1st and 2nd would of been much better.

Don't forget we also have to sign big Jeff next year and money is getting tight. hope this kid turns out to be as good as AJ.

Can franchise tag AJ and trade him then. Wish we would have forced AJ to play this year (or sit out all year). But it is what it is.

I said absolutely nothing about him being a bust, so not sure how you took that from my post. THe point, is that if you trade one guy to then draft another guy at the same position, then if he is not flat out better than AJ off the bat, then you didnt improve your team. If he isnt better than AJ then you didnt improve at WR you just stood still, but you also miss out on potentially improving somewhere else. Look at it this way, if you sell a stock for 100 dollars, buy another stock for 100 dollars, and both go up 20 bucks, then you didnt benefit your self by that buy and sell, you just stayed at the exact spot where you would have been had you not made the move in the first place.

I am saying in this in regard to the upcoming season, obviously down the road the move might look like a brilliant move. But it seems like a rebuilding move for a team who should be looking to improve on a 12 win team and shouldnt be rebuilding.

All teams are constantly rebuilding. It's the nature of the NFL.

The chiefs would love to keep hill. The packers would love to keep Adam's. The pats would love to keep their top two corners.

You must always be replacing expensive talent with cheap talent. That's how it works.

Can franchise tag AJ and trade him then. Wish we would have forced AJ to play this year (or sit out all year). But it is what it is.
Force him to play or sit out and then let him walk with nothing in return? What good does that do anyone?

That's the problem... You can't force an NFL player to play...they pretty much have control in this situation as long as someone else is willing to pay. Current team is forced to get what they can, when they can.

Man, burks really is a deebo/AJ style guy. Great hands. Great RAC. Nasty stiff arm for a wide out.

I think we'll be just fine with this kid.

All teams are constantly rebuilding. It's the nature of the NFL.

The chiefs would love to keep hill. The packers would love to keep Adam's. The pats would love to keep their top two corners.

You must always be replacing expensive talent with cheap talent. That's how it works.

That isnt how it always works, if it was nobody would ever be paid huge contracts. There is more than one way to skin a cat. The Bucs gave both Evans and Godwin expensive contracts, and will likely be one of the top teams in the NFC again next year, so paying your guys isnt always a bad thing. Conversely, Houston traded Hopkins and even with Watson, their offense struggled without having a top tier target.

But Yes, I understand you cant always keep ever player you want. But at the same time, everything isnt always about the future, some times you have to do things for the present. Plus, I dont think the Hill comparison is fair. They got like 5 picks for HIll, we got two for AJ. The Adams trade is more comparable, but Adams is going to turn 30 this season and has been more injury prone than AJ over the years, and yet the Packers still got a little better deal for him than the Titans did. But there are also other factors. The Chiefs have a great QB who is going to make any receiver he plays with better, while the Titans are a team not only without a great QB, but without a lot of depth at receiver. At this point they have a veteran from another team who is coming off an injury and a rookie who has never played an NFL game as the projected top 2 guys.

IF this was a clear rebuidling phase I would have no issue with this move, but for a team who was the top seed in the conference despite tons of injuries, it just doesnt make sense to me to make this move.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree that we have taken a major step backwards from where we were. We'll be lucky to get half of AJ next year. That means the entire offense is on Henry's shoulders again for at least one year, probably two. Get ready for a ton of carries. We literally have nothing else to rely on. We need three dimensions to compete in the AFC, and we've got one, so I'd say the ceiling is low. The only saving grace is the division is horrendous.

Agree that we have taken a major step backwards from where we were. We'll be lucky to get half of AJ next year. That means the entire offense is on Henry's shoulders again for at least one year, probably two. Get ready for a ton of carries. We literally have nothing else to rely on. We need three dimensions to compete in the AFC, and we've got one, so I'd say the ceiling is low. The only saving grace is the division is horrendous.

You forget woods and hooper exist. Our pass catching stable may well end up being better than last year, which was gimpy AJ and nothing at all.

That isnt how it always works, if it was nobody would ever be paid huge contracts. There is more than one way to skin a cat. The Bucs gave both Evans and Godwin expensive contracts, and will likely be one of the top teams in the NFC again next year, so paying your guys isnt always a bad thing. Conversely, Houston traded Hopkins and even with Watson, their offense struggled without having a top tier target.

But Yes, I understand you cant always keep ever player you want. But at the same time, everything isnt always about the future, some times you have to do things for the present. Plus, I dont think the Hill comparison is fair. They got like 5 picks for HIll, we got two for AJ. The Adams trade is more comparable, but Adams is going to turn 30 this season and has been more injury prone than AJ over the years, and yet the Packers still got a little better deal for him than the Titans did. But there are also other factors. The Chiefs have a great QB who is going to make any receiver he plays with better, while the Titans are a team not only without a great QB, but without a lot of depth at receiver. At this point they have a veteran from another team who is coming off an injury and a rookie who has never played an NFL game as the projected top 2 guys.

IF this was a clear rebuidling phase I would have no issue with this move, but for a team who was the top seed in the conference despite tons of injuries, it just doesnt make sense to me to make this move.

The Texans and Watson set a franchise record for passing yards without Hopkins.

If Brown would have accepted a contract like what Evans or Godwin accepted he would still be a Titan. He clearly wouldn’t. So he walks after this season for nothing and you guys would lose your minds. JRob made the right move for the future.

Force him to play or sit out and then let him walk with nothing in return? What good does that do anyone?

That's the problem... You can't force an NFL player to play...they pretty much have control in this situation as long as someone else is willing to pay. Current team is forced to get what they can, when they can.

You missed the part about tagging him I guess. Titans wouldn’t lose him for nothing. They can tag him and trade him whether AJ signed the tag or not.

The Texans and Watson set a franchise record for passing yards without Hopkins.

If Brown would have accepted a contract like what Evans or Godwin accepted he would still be a Titan. He clearly wouldn’t. So he walks after this season for nothing and you guys would lose your minds. JRob made the right move for the future.

That career high resulted in being the 18th best scoring offense and a team going from being a playoff team to being a 4 win team Passing yards are an extremely over rated stat. Plenty of bad teams or mediocre QBs have high passing yards totals. Jameis Winston has also thrown for over 5000 yards in a season, that doesnt mean it was a great season. Yards dont matter if it doesnt result in points and wins, They clearly missed having one top tier targets in the league.

Do we know what Brown was offered? If not I dont think we can make that claim, but also, Evans signed a 5 year 82 million deal in 2018, I dont think what the Eagles gave Brown in now is that far off from that type of contract since that was 4 years ago and contract do tend to increase from year to year.

He might have made the right move for the future, but the present also matters. If all we do is build for the future, then what year should we expect the future to arrive?

I’m totally cool with this trade and the pick they made for Burks. A little more in exchange would’ve would’ve been nice, but A.J sitting out all season and getting nothing for him would’ve sucked way more, so, seriously, everyone come down off that ledge.
It was all kinds of things for me. In the end he simply isn't worth $25M a year with production to date. He's injury prone and has what appears to be a psychosis, or he is not very emotionally intelligent. I understand that he was our best WR, maybe even ever, but you can't build great teams on emotion. Trading him was the best logical step.

The more AJ opens his mouth, the happier I am the Titans dealt him. You can’t pay everyone what they ask for. That’s not how it works. The Titans made him an offer than was more than fair. He declined. Goodbye and good riddance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back