Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Titans: B
The Titans couldn't work out a long-term deal with Brown, getting the Eagles' second first-round pick (No. 18) and their second third-round pick (No. 101) for a receiver that didn't appear in the first phase of offseason activities in search for a new deal. Brown led the Titans in receptions, receiving yards, and receiving touchdowns in each of the past three seasons -- so losing him was a big blow to the offense.

Tennessee rallied quickly in replacing Brown, drafting Treylon Burks at No. 18 overall. Burks accounted for 37.2% of Arkansas' receiving yards the past two seasons and played 82.9% of his career snaps in the slot. A physical receiver in the mold of Deebo Samuel, Burks led the SEC with 22 plays of 20-plus yards last year. Tennessee can use Burks in RPO situations, finding ways to get the football in his hands as the top option next to Robert Woods.

Burks may never have the impact of Brown, who was second in Titans history in receptions and receiving yards after his first three seasons, but he's a good consolation prize. The Titans' failure to sign Brown to a long-term deal makes an excellent second-round pick three years ago all for naught. Hopefully, the same fate doesn't happen with Burks.

The more AJ opens his mouth, the happier I am the Titans dealt him. You can’t pay everyone what they ask for. That’s not how it works. The Titans made him an offer than was more than fair. He declined. Goodbye and good riddance.

I think the main reason it sucked hearing at first is because he was our most fun WR to watch that we have ever had, I'll miss the breaking several tackles to get into the endzone. I wont miss the sitting out crucial snaps/series with assorted injuries though

Burks was my second favorite wr in this class behind Williamson. Now at some point we have to draft another in this draft. If we do not go qb at 35. Watson kid out of south dakota state makes some sense

You missed the part about tagging him I guess. Titans wouldn’t lose him for nothing. They can tag him and trade him whether AJ signed the tag or not.
Tagging AJ isn't free. If he continued to hold out, which would be likely, Titans still need a #1 WR with little money to fill key positions.

All things AJ aside, loved getting this guy. I think he has the potential to become as good as AJ without the mental issues and twitter drama.

Burks was my second favorite wr in this class behind Williamson. Now at some point we have to draft another in this draft. If we do not go qb at 35. Watson kid out of south dakota state makes some sense
He was my second favorite in this class as well. I have seen people say he isn’t fast enough bc of the 4.55 40 but his play speed is much better than that. He was clocked at 22.6 mph this year which is one of the fastest clocked speeds in all of college last year. For comparison the fastes AJ has been clocked is 21.53 mph.

Add to that Treylons contested catch ability and his huge hands 9 7/8s I think he has all of the tools to be elite.

You missed the part about tagging him I guess. Titans wouldn’t lose him for nothing. They can tag him and trade him whether AJ signed the tag or not.
Tagging him and trading him is different from trading him during the draft?

Again, a 2nd round pick that had solid production for 3 years (plus some injury concerns) turned in to a 1st and 3rd. Decent return on the investment that no longer wanted to be in Tennessee.

I like Burks but he has a lot of development to do as an outside route runner. I think we need to get another outside WR to pair with him in Day 2.

I see Burks as taking on the Firkser role on offense year one. I think he is more of a AJ Brown/Mike Gesiki hybrid.

Alec Pierce or Christian Watkins would be amazing players to pair with him.

Tagging him and trading him is different from trading him during the draft?

Again, a 2nd round pick that had solid production for 3 years (plus some injury concerns) turned in to a 1st and 3rd. Decent return on the investment that no longer wanted to be in Tennessee.
well... really only a 3 as Titans took a WR with the 1... just sayin'

While I would have loved to keep AJ around, I can’t argue with this move.

I think these teams that are shelling out $25-$30million dollars are going to suffer big time down the road. No receiver is worth that kind of money. It’ll be next to impossible to build a solid receiving corp if that much money is going to your #1.

Plus, AJ has missed games or played with injuries every single year. I think that once a few teams get burned big time by over paying WRs, the tide will turn back.

Kind of like when RBs like Gurley, Elliot and David Johnson got massive contracts and failed to live up to the hype. After that phase no one wanted to pay RBs big money anymore. The tide will turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I would have loved to keep AJ around, I can’t argue with this move.

I think these teams that are shelling out $25-$30million dollars are going to suffer big time down the road. No receiver is worth that kind of money. It’ll be next to impossible to build a solid receiving corp if that much money is going to your #1.

Plus, AJ has missed games or played with injuries every single year. I think that once a few teams get burned big time by over paying WRs, the tide will turn back.

Kind of like when RBs like Gurley, Elliot and David Johnson got massive contracts and failed to live up to the hype. After that phase no one wanted to pay RBs big anymore. The tide will turn.
Nah, they’ll never learn. Crap like this will keep going on and make it harder and harder to sustain your roster with your best guys.

Didn’t want a WR......., and no matter how this guy does, he’ll still be limited to the half of the plays they don’t run Henry.

A WR in the first in Tennessee is by virtue of their offense since always is a waste.

I think someone doesnt understand how NFL offenses work, and certainly not ours!

You want to see Henry without a good QB and quality WR? go back to the beginning of the 2019 season....

..... considering we just saw a team make an unexpected SB run, it makes no sense to me to not try and upgrade at any position, and instead essentially stand still at the receiver position.

Well, you gotta fix a leaky roof before you start adding on your luxury bathroom. We just lost our 2nd best player, and we saw how we struggled without a quality WR. Not sure if this guy is the fix or not, but the alternative was a trade for a quality WR, who of course would want a lot $ and we'd likely lose some roster spots for it. I can't argue with the decision. Let's hope it pans out and Tannehill gets his head screwed on right to avoid stupid plays in the playoffs. (can't believe I'm saying that as I'm his biggest fan...)

You guys all seem to forget that no matter who you draft, sign or trade away, Todd Downing is still the offensive coordinator and our offense is gonna suck.

Nah, they’ll never learn. Crap like this will keep going on and make it harder and harder to sustain your roster with your best guys.
Not saying this kind of situation will end completely. Mismanaged teams will always be looking to chase the new shinny toys. But I think these crazy WR contracts will come back to earth just like the RBs a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back