Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the injury ends up biting us, JRob will get a big strike in my book. I am hopeful that he ends up being fantastic, we need it.
It is a huge risk, but it is one worth taking. It's a a shot at top 10 talent in the 20s. Work out or no, I won't blame jrob for this.

You know football is not like other sports, injury can happen to any player at any time other than qb.
I would not want an injury prone qb, but even a player that has never had one injury is not guaranteed that he won't get hurt in training camp and be out for the year.
Injuries are a fact of life in the nfl.

I was pretty sure this is where we'd go with our 1st round pick. I think at #22 he was just too good to pass up.

I know it's part of JRob and Vrabel's jobs to talk up the pick, but after hearing JRob talk about how much detail they went into when evaluating him and how much work the team doctors did on him, I feel even better about this pick.

I also loved how excited Farley was. He seemed genuinely excited to be a Titan and mentioned how much he enjoyed talking to the Titans during the pre-draft process.

I'm not a fan of the "Boom or Bust" pattern the Titans have been taking with their 1st round picks. This is becoming the norm rather than the exception, and it rarely pays off.

That being said, I hope this is one of the good ones. His film is certainly impressive.

This all goes back to the 2016 draft. I guarantee you Jrob kicked himself for years not taking Jaylon Smith in the 2nd instead of Dodd. Smith would have been a top 5 pick but fell due to injury. Then he became a pro bowler and Dodd... well.. we all now how that turned out.
I agree with this. JRob played it too careful during his first year and he's learned from that. Case in point, last night's pick of Farley.

I'm not a fan of the "Boom or Bust" pattern the Titans have been taking with their 1st round picks. This is becoming the norm rather than the exception, and it rarely pays off.

That being said, I hope this is one of the good ones. His film is certainly impressive.

JRob as GM

Farley
Wilson
Simmons
Evans
Davis
Jackson
Conklin

Pre JRob

Mariota
Lewan
Warmack
Wright
Lock
Morgan

The 1st round hasn't been great in either case, hits on other rounds have helped though

Simmons has been good so far, Lewan too

but have not re-signed alot of 1st round picks

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a huge risk, but it is one worth taking. It's a a shot at top 10 talent in the 20s. Work out or no, I won't blame jrob for this.

I will blame JRob if he doesn't work out. There's a time to take a chance on a guy like this, but I don't think that time was now. I don't hate the pick because of the upside, but it's super risky. I personally don't think the drop off from Farley to guys like Newsome, Samuel, or Robinson was all that significant.

I know no one wanted an OT in the 1st, but I don't think many people saw Darrisaw falling to our pick. Almost every mock I saw had him in the top 17. He is a very athletic and a mauler in the run game.

I will blame JRob if he doesn't work out. There's a time to take a chance on a guy like this, but I don't think that time was now. I don't hate the pick because of the upside, but it's super risky. I personally don't think the drop off from Farley to guys like Newsome, Samuel, or Robinson was all that significant.

I know no one wanted an OT in the 1st, but I don't think many people saw Darrisaw falling to our pick. Almost every mock I saw had him in the top 17. He is a very athletic and a mauler in the run game.
I like Farley, but I agree on Samuel Jr, I just hope we can land Elijah Moore in 2...Farley and Moore would be great first 2 picks

JRob as GM

Farley
Wilson
Simmons
Evans
Davis
Jackson
Conklin

Pre JRob

Mariota
Lewan
Warmack
Wright
Lock
Morgan

The 1st round hasn't been great in either case, hits on other rounds have helped though

Simmons has been good so far, Lewan too

but have not re-signed alot of 1st round picks

The fact that we didn’t re-sign them shouldn’t be part of the evaluation of the pick.

The fact that we didn’t re-sign them shouldn’t be part of the evaluation of the pick.
Not sure that’s a complete analysis. For someone like Warmack, it is absolutely a part of the evaluation. Sometimes you don’t sign a guy back because he wasn’t what you thought versus not willing to overpay. It plays into pick analysis, but is more an indictment of the evaluation of the team building skills of a GM versus simply talent acquisition.

For 1st round picks? Yes it should

If you take the emotion out of it being a “1st round pick” and must look at it from the business level you might change your mind, you get younger and cheaper and get a comp pick. Rosters turn over. What I you need this year you might not in 4 years and so you have to cut something.

But if Elijah Moore isn’t there, are you leaning Rondale Moore or Tutu Atwell? Someone else?
I like Dyami Brown in the second round if Moore is gone and quite frankly I believe he will be gone by 53. A run on OL or defense could help us out though. I certainly wouldn’t have believed Fulton would have been around last year either.

If you take the emotion out of it being a “1st round pick” and must look at it from the business level you might change your mind, you get younger and cheaper and get a comp pick. Rosters turn over. What I you need this year you might not in 4 years and so you have to cut something.
I think we are crossing two topics. One is pure talent evaluation/acquisition and the other is team building. They are not exactly the same thing.

Not sure that’s a complete analysis. For someone like Warmack, it is absolutely a part of the evaluation. Sometimes you don’t sign a guy back because he wasn’t what you thought versus not willing to overpay. It plays into pick analysis, but is more an indictment of the evaluation of the team building skills of a GM versus simply talent acquisition.

JRob didn’t draft Warmack ( I know you didn’t say he did) and we were a really bad team then as well. Warmack was a stupid pick. 2013 was a horrible draft for this team, horrible.

Of course if you are constantly drafting busts and releasing them based on bad play. But that isn’t the case with JRob, with the exception of Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back