Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only way Vrabel wins a SB is if the new GM builds a team that Vrabels stubborness wont screw up.

Vrabel is one hell of a coach but his stubborness and ego will be his downfall.

I hope I am proven wrong but I kind a feel like were screwed and won't get back to what we had the past few years as far as success.

I'm afraid Vrabel has reached his peak...hope I'm wrong as I like him as a HC... we'll see what the next couple of seasons bring

I’m thinking (and Hoping) that this loosing streak gives Vrabel the kick in his butt that he needs.

Since he’s been here he’s been pretty successful and it’s been easy for him. Walking into a team that had just won a playoff game and never had a loosing season since.

Maybe this will humble him a bit and wake him up to the fact that this team needs some big changes, not just with the roster, but with the coaches and staff.

Honestly, I’m on the fence about Vrabel in general. I thinks he’s a good coach, but I’m tired of the old school, runfirst-offense “exotic smash mouth football,” while watching Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, and Lamar dominate. I’d love to see some modernity in Nashville.

I’d be interested to see if Vrabel shifts his strategy over the next year, and see if he is just an old school guy who likes a run first offense, or if he’s just working with his personnel, namely Henry and Tannehill.

Honestly, I’m on the fence about Vrabel in general. I thinks he’s a good coach, but I’m tired of the old school, runfirst-offense “exotic smash mouth football,” while watching Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, and Lamar dominate. I’d love to see some modernity in Nashville.

I’d be interested to see if Vrabel shifts his strategy over the next year, and see if he is just an old school guy who likes a run first offense, or if he’s just working with his personnel, namely Henry and Tannehill.
One of these names definitely doesn’t belong.
And Hurts still needs to prove this isn’t a one time fluke before he really belongs there.

crazy that Cousins never a get put in that mix.

EXACTLY....

firing downing means nothing cause the next dude gonna be a downing clone

sadly new GM would have to hire OC and force Vrabel to stay out of the O... NEVER GONNA HAPPEN
Why can’t we ever have anything nice? Vrabel looks like possibly the best coach in the league starting out, but insists on having the worst offensive coordinator and staff in the league. No matter what good ever happens to us, there’s always some kind of baggage that won’t allow us to get over the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vrabel overestimates how much he knows about the offensive side of the ball. He has a lot of say in our offense and our gameplane each week. In multiple press conferences he has stated "a physical run game is what wins football games"

Apparently, he has missed out on the last 5 years SB when the Rams, Bucs, Chiefs, Pats, and Eagles all did it with modern offenses with a heavy emphasis on a passing game.

There's a reason why analytics like EPA point to passing being superior and showing the teams that utilize it the best will win.

Do we really think Vrabel's offensive mind can compete with the likes of Andy Reid, Ken Dorsey (utilizing what he learned from Daboll), Zac Taylor (McVay coaching tree), Doug Pederson (offensive coach with 1 SB), Mike McDaniel (Shanahan), or Greg Roman?

And that's just the AFC!

We are supremely outclassed when it comes to offensive design and play calling. Vrabel could turn this around by giving the keys to a young upcoming OC - likely from the McVay, Shanahan, Reid, Pederson coaching tree.

If Vrable is unable to make this move I am afraid we will be stuck where we are for many years without getting over the hump, and likely will end Vrabel's career here without ever winning anything of importance

Vrabel overestimates how much he knows about the offensive side of the ball. He has a lot of say in our offense and our gameplane each week. In multiple press conferences he has stated "a physical run game is what wins football games"

Apparently, he has missed out on the last 5 years SB when the Rams, Bucs, Chiefs, Pats, and Eagles all did it with modern offenses with a heavy emphasis on a passing game.

There's a reason why analytics like EPA point to passing being superior and showing the teams that utilize it the best will win.

Do we really think Vrabel's offensive mind can compete with the likes of Andy Reid, Ken Dorsey (utilizing what he learned from Daboll), Zac Taylor (McVay coaching tree), Doug Pederson (offensive coach with 1 SB), Mike McDaniel (Shanahan), or Greg Roman?

And that's just the AFC!

We are supremely outclassed when it comes to offensive design and play calling. Vrabel could turn this around by giving the keys to a young upcoming OC - likely from the McVay, Shanahan, Reid, Pederson coaching tree.

If Vrabel is unable to make this move I am afraid we will be stuck where we are for many years without getting over the hump, and likely will end Vrabel's career here without ever winning anything of importance
There is not a single team in the NFL who has been more effective running the ball on first down vs. Passing. Sure enough 90% of our first downs is henry running into a loaded box

Vrabel has been stubborn his entire career. He took too long to get Henry in the backfield. He took too long to switch to Tannehill. He took too long to get a new offensive Coordinator. At some point, you must change. I don't want you to blow with the wind each weekend, but after seven hundred three and outs kick the can down the road.

Vrabels a good coach but his ego and unwillingness to let go of his yes man and hire a competent coaching staff is his downfall! Still don’t understand how downing wasn’t at-least suspended a few games for his DUI!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had to choose one, would you keep Downing if it meant releasing tanny and drafting a QB in the first. OR keep tanny and get rid of Downing?

If you had to choose one, would you keep Downing if it meant releasing tanny and drafting a QB in the first. OR keep tanny and get rid of Downing?
I don’t think the two are actually attached in any way but Downing needs to go. If THill had to go as well, I’m ok with that.

I still don’t want to use a first on QB in either scenario.
Boring as it might be, draft a T. Left or right, we need both.

Keep Tanny. That might be the best option regardless of who the OC is. Right now Tannehill is low on our list of issues and he could play for years to come yet.

draft another QB mid draft ... and keep doing it every draft till one of them looks like they belong in the NFL...

T17 can be QB till someone uproots him. Best QB Titans ever had not named McNair

Keep Downing (Yes he gets a pass) This years season failure is owned by JR plain and simple. Lack of O-line build has caused this years troubles. The New GM should prioritize the o-line.

Keep Downing (Yes he gets a pass) This years season failure is owned by JR plain and simple. Lack of O-line build has caused this years troubles. The New GM should prioritize the o-line.
Mr downing,
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your son really sucks at this play calling gig.
I figure if anyone can break this news to him easier than the titans fan base, his dad surely can.
Feel free to let the fans know how he takes the news.

We should have seen this coming the moment he didn't fire him after the DUI....

Remember Andy Reid's son, Britt? --- He was placed on administrative that Tuesday, and by Wednesday was no longer employed --- He had a DUI, only difference being there was a victim to his DUI outside of himself (a little girl injured)

Now this would have been the perfect way OUT of Todd Downing and all the while expressing a no tolerance policy for something as severe as a DUI and that could wind up with fatalities/injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back