Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can still want Lamar and appreciate what Tannehill did for us. Tannehill was a great QB here in his tenure, but the guy is getting old and his contract is running up.

I want Lamar for 3 simple reasons:
1) Proven winner in this league (albeit not yet in the playoffs)
2) Special talent at a key position
- we may hit on a rookie QB but are more likely to go back to QB purgatory
3) Exciting Player

We need fans, tickets sold, sponsorships etc. The Titans franchise has struggled in these areas for a long time. This is a business and entertainment. This franchise needs to make money and capitalize on the growth of Nashville. Lamar will cost a lot of money but he would also make us a lot of money.
Lamar is not a QB

You can still want Lamar and appreciate what Tannehill did for us. Tannehill was a great QB here in his tenure, but the guy is getting old and his contract is running up.

3) Exciting Player

We need fans, tickets sold, sponsorships etc. The Titans franchise has struggled in these areas for a long time. This is a business and entertainment. This franchise needs to make money and capitalize on the growth of Nashville. Lamar will cost a lot of money but he would also make us a lot of money.

I think if Henry was still 25, we had Delanie Walker in his prime and the 2012-2014 Kendall Wright, you most definitely go after Lamar.

But there's a MASSIVE question mark at OC, OL, WR and an edging RB. There's absolutely no way Lamar would remotely thrive in Nashville.

Lamar is the type of QB you just don't invest big time in, as once his speed is gone, he's 100% done.

1) proven winner may (and I think it does) have more to do with Harbaugh than LJ with the track record he’s had.
2) special talent tied into 3) “exciting”. Do not care about exciting. I’ll take ability to win in boring fashion with D any day of the week over an exciting QB that contains a style of running habits that has never been proof of capability to win a SB. Kind of the same story as VY, he was exciting too, all the way to 8-8 records and sloppy/incapable QB play when it was needed.

the cost for “excitement” in this case just doesn’t make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

3) Exciting Player

my initial response to the above was a clown wig meme... thought about it and I will tone that down some because not everyone has been following the Titans since 97... some followed the oilers before the move I know but not me

anyways.....

Titans already have the poverty version of jackson on the roster. The Titans drafted willis hoping he becomes jackson... I dont see it happening. Even if willis does become a jackson knockoff then you got a QB that is a RB which you must dumb down the entire O to accommodate. Every WR and TE is primarily a blocker cause there will only be 25 passes a game if everything goes according to plan. jackson season with most passes he threw 401 times in 15 games just under 27 attempts a game... threw 77 times in the 2 loses putting attempts at 25 per game in Ws. jacksons yards per attempt is 7.4 meaning when things are going well the ratbirds PLAN on throwing for under 200 yards a game specifically because jackson is the QB

again from jacksons best season completed 46 passes in the losses meaning only 17 completions a game when plan is working... that is 17 divided by all WR, TE and RB on entire team.... this is not the brand of football you think it is... just sayin'

sidebar - fun fact jackson has never started 16 or 17 games in a season

3) Exciting Player

With your logic, last season not included, Tannehill has been a winner as well...and not costing us 2 firsts, which Lamar is not worth.
Improve the OL, WR group, Downing gone... Tannehill will be decent again.
I hope we stay away from Lamar...as far as excitement...not long ago Titans were exciting...make the necessary changes and we will be again.
Lamar hasn't been exciting in awhile

and too compare... even with TItans run heavy O T17 average 30 attempts with 20 completions for 233 yards as a Titan... NOT exactly shock & awe offense but significantly better than jackson production from passing

I will agree to disagree with most of you on adding Lamar to the roster. I don't think he is a flawless player or a guy without any risk. I do think he is a high ceiling QB that can win a lot of ball games with the offense tailored to his strengths. Good luck beating Mahomes & Burrow playing the game their style.

I do think he is the best option available for us to get a franchise quarterback for the next 5+ years. I became a fan of the Titans at a young age when Vince Young got drafted. Ever since then I have talked myself into every QB we drafted and Mariota was the only one who showed any kind of promise and it was short lived. Again, I love what Tannehill accomplished here and he was the best I've seen first hand as a fan. But he is aging and QB purgatory is starting again for us.

However, no one arguing with me has given a viable option for how we land our next franchise QB. We can certainly run it back with Tannehill next year and fill some of the rest of the holes out on the roster. If we go that direction, then we are going to need to trade up big in the draft for a Rookie quarterback. That rookie could end up being a player like Josh Allen, Mahomes, Deshaun, Trubisky, Fields, Josh Rosen, Zach Wilson, Kenny Picket, Baker, Darnold, Wentz, Goff, Bortles, etc.

There are a lot of good names in that list and a lot of terrible ones. The terrible ones will set us back 3-4 years every time.

clown-your-wig-sir.gif

well... here you go then

A 26-year old quarterback IN HIS PRIME

who won the MVP

whose team spent the #1 LEAST ON OFFENSE of any team in the NFL the last 4 years

whose team gave him the #2 CHEAPEST WR corps to work with

whose RB-rooms were decimated by injury two straight years

who had to do virtually EVERYTHING FOR HIS TEAM to will them to win

who is 46-19 as a starter

who STILL took his team, in the toughest conference in football, to:

#3 AFC seed in 2022 at 8-4 before injury

#3 AFC seed in 2021 at 8-3 before injury

#5 AFC seed in 2020 at 11-5

#1 AFC seed in 2019 at 14-2

who won the MVP

whose team spent the #1 LEAST ON OFFENSE of any team in the NFL the last 4 years

Those were some good playoff runs too.
They also had one of the most expensive WR in the game on a rookie contract in Hollywood Brown AND one of the best TE in the game.

Harbaugh did a great job building an offense around LJ but much like Vick, when in the post season against the best teams, that running style gets stifled.

Those were some good playoff runs too.
They also had one of the most expensive WR in the game on a rookie contract in Hollywood Brown AND one of the best TE in the game.

Harbaugh did a great job building an offense around LJ but much like Vick, when in the post season against the best teams, that running style gets stifled.
Yeah let's denounce a guy over a 5 game sample size. While ignoring a 50+ game sample size.

every not 'elite' QB has limited PO games

even elites dont get significant number for a few years... even then that is mostly different OCs and HCs even if same team

The issues with Lamar boil down to cost and availability.

Cost - 2 first round picks and ~$45M/yr fully guaranteed.

For that, we could sign Simmons, the top LT in free agency, some other needed free agents, and select the best WR in the draft this year. That's A LOT to give up for Lamar. Especially when we have desperate needs at lots of positions. Help he wouldn't have if we had to give it up for him.

Availability - over the past two seasons he has missed over 30% of the Ravens games.

The problem with Lamar is his effectiveness when hurt is limited much more than other QB's. His special ability is all about his explosive running. While he might be in his prime for most QB's, explosive runners like that break down much faster. So it's not just "is he on the field?", but is he going to be the athletic game changer that makes him special, and for how much longer?

In particular to our situation, another issue is scheme. The Ravens offense was designed around him. I'm not trying to put a hit on Tim Kelly, but his entire history has been running a spread gun under Bill O'Brien. That's not even close to what Lamar has spent his entire career having success doing. We'd either have to force Lamar to learn an entirely new offense, or expect an OC (who has never done anything remotely like what Baltimore did) to create an offense that highlights Lamar's unique abilities. Consider me skeptical.

I'd rather roll with Tannehill than make that move. I'd really rather trade up and have a top tier rookie on a rookie deal for 5 years and build around that. But that's subject for a whole other debate.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the NFL has taken away a 2023 fifth-round pick from the Texans and fined them $175,000 for a salary-cap violation.

who won the MVP

They don't like facts. They'd rather defend a soon to be 36 year old QB who has been mediocre to bad for 80% of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back