Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titans need to draft Will Levis and let him learn behind Tannehill for a year. That’s what I’ve decided it the best course of action. If not, trade Tannehill & Henry, , draft a LT, start Willis and tank for a QB next year.

If they are not going to start year 1, I see no reason to grab a young QB. We'd be better off grabbing a piece to help whoever we trade up to draft in 2024.

Unfortunately, it won't be Williams.

It’s a 2017 article but does a really good job breaking for the “pros and cons” of tanking, if there’s is any actual teams in the NFL that have “tanked”
A tanking guide to the NFL, and a warning

Personally, 100% against the idea since there is not proof of success. Part of the lack of proof revolves around the lack of proof of teams tanking, and then there is breakdown between teams that ranked an entire season vs. just the last few games to get a better pick after the season is lost.
A couple recent cases of potential tanking:
2019 Miami
2016 Cleveland
2014 TB
2011 IND
And “failed tanks” 2022 Houston, 2021 Houston, 2016 Chicago, 2003 ARZ. In line for #1 pick and won to not get it.

these are only speculative teams, obviously there’s a #1 pick every year, but hard to argue if they’re tanking vs just stink.

Did any pay off?
The example always looked to is 2011 IND. unfortunately El this was a franchise winning 11 games every year, lost arguably the greatest QB ever early in the year, then drafted Luck who ended up looking the part on an already built team.
Even if this is THE example for tanking success, it represents the 1 time tanking seems to have been successful.

I’m open to listening to other examples, but with limited proof at all, tanking seems like the dumbest, most unsuccessful move a team can make. It more often seems to ensure the team that “tanked” remains a regular in the top 5 picks.

I get it TN is looking like some struggles this year are real, but the AFC South still sucks, Vrabel is still coach, the best RB in the game with what appears a competitive Defense suggests a legit playoff contender and a pretty good track record against the best teams in the AFC.
Tanking just seems like a waste, drives fans away, and has a higher percent chance of staying at the bottom for multiple years.

Hard pass on the idea.

How would you feel about restructuring Landry and Hookers contracts to free up another $15 million in cap space?
The reason you always see the big market teams doing this is their owners have a lot of money to pay the players money up front. I’m not sure Amy does. That’s why you don’t see the Titans do a lot of restructuring.

The reason you always see the big market teams doing this is their owners have a lot of money to pay the players money up front. I’m not sure Amy does. That’s why you don’t see the Titans do a lot of restructuring.
Dogg she's worth 1.6 billion, she has the money to do whatever she pleases. I think it's more of a team philosophy of not kicking the can down the road. Especially right now since we're clearly not pushing for a Superbowl immediately

I don't think this year will be as bad as many thought originally, myself included.

We still a decent D, Vrabel, Downing is gone, we have Henry, the AFC South is still not great .. as far as Tannehill? with an improved OL and WR he should be decent.

Why does it matter how much the owner has? The cap is the cap isn't it?

I don't think this year will be as bad as many thought originally, myself included.

We still a decent D, Vrabel, Downing is gone, we have Henry, the AFC South is still not great .. as far as Tannehill? with an improved OL and WR he should be decent.
Tanne should have two extra ankles from last year too. That should help

If that's the case, then you have to move up to get a QB now, because what you just described sounds like an 8-9 type season and there will be no QB'S left in the 24 draft with that draft position.

We're in such a horrible situation when it comes to getting our franchise QB.

Ran going to have to do some wheeling and dealing to get a teams 1st next year and then we all hope and pray that team is so bad that we get a top 3 pick. That's probably the only way we'll be getting a high pick to get our franchise QB.

Dogg she's worth 1.6 billion, she has the money to do whatever she pleases. I think it's more of a team philosophy of not kicking the can down the road. Especially right now since we're clearly not pushing for a Superbowl immediately
She’s worth 1.6 billion as 50% owner of the Titans based on their value. She doesn’t have that much cash on hand. The entire Adams family is worth 1.3.

For example Lamar Jackson is wanting 200 million guaranteed. The team has to come up with that 200 million immediately and put it in escrow. So someone like the Adams family might not want to put up 1/6th of their entire worth to pay one player. Yes the salary cap keeps the rosters fairly equal, but if you have more cash on hand, you can manipulate it more easily. Like the Jerry Jones type. It amazes me how little some of you know about how things actually work.

For example Lamar Jackson is wanting 200 million guaranteed. The team has to come up with that 200 million immediately and put it in escrow. So someone like the Adams family might not want to put up 1/6th of their entire worth to pay one player. Yes the salary cap keeps the rosters fairly equal, but if you have more cash on hand, you can manipulate it more easily. Like the Jerry Jones type. It amazes me how little some of you know about how things actually work.
I just want to watch football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back