Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every QB has limitations. Ljax healthy is top 5 and it's really not even debatable

While I don't necessarily agree with Ljax being a top 5 QB even when healthy, the point still remains that he will command a high price this offseason, one that the Titans cannot afford. They simply cannot replace one high priced QB (at least cap wise) with another high priced QB when the team has other needs.

Best bet is that they are able to restructure Tannehill's contract to spread out his cap hit, try to rebuild the OL, and address the other needs as best they can. Either that or the Titans start a full rebuild.

While I don't necessarily agree with Ljax being a top 5 QB even when healthy, the point still remains that he will command a high price this offseason, one that the Titans cannot afford. They simply cannot replace one high priced QB (at least cap wise) with another high priced QB when the team has other needs.

Best bet is that they are able to restructure Tannehill's contract to spread out his cap hit, try to rebuild the OL, and address the other needs as best they can. Either that or the Titans start a full rebuild.
I have the same reservations about the cost, it's simply hard to build a complete team while paying a good QB market value.

I’m sure there’s some sort of basis for this but I can’t imagine it making sense if you have Jackson top 5.
"Lamar Jackson...
had his team #1 seed in AFC in early DEC...
despite being the #1 most injured team in history
ranked #1 in the NFL throwing outside the numbers...
& was top-10 in the NFL in rush yds when healthy
and after injury BAL went 0-5"

"in the history of the NFL, every player with

80+ passing TDs and
20+ rushing TDs before their
50th career start:

Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson"

"total TDs prior to turning 24 yrs old

87 - Lamar Jackson
77 - Justin Herbert, Jameis Winston
70 - Dan Marino
63 - Matthew Stafford, Fran Tarkenton
62 - Cam Newton
61 - Kyler Murray
59 - Patrick Mahomes
57"

"most efficient QBs when trailing in the 2nd half last year:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Lamar Jackson
3. Kirk Cousins
4. Trevor Siemian
5. Jimmy G
6. Justin Herbert
7. Joe Burrow
8. Tom Brady
9. Patrick Mahomes
---
37. Zach Wilson
38. Russell Wilson
39. Sam Darnold
40. Mike Glennon"

"Lamar Jackson is absolutely DESTROYING the blitz this year

he ranks:

#1 in EPA/att
#2 in YPA
#3 in success rate

he has 6 passing TDs vs the blitz thru 3 games

but not only is he the NFL's best passer vs the blitz this year..."

"trailing in the 2nd half, highest EPA/pass att last 3 years:

1. Lamar Jackson
2. Patrick Mahomes
3. Kirk Cousins
4. Deshaun Watson
5. Tom Brady
6. Justin Herbert
7. Dak Prescott
8. Ryan Tannehill
9. Aaron Rodgers
10. Joe Burrow
11. Josh Allen
12. Matthew Stafford

*min 200 att"

"top-10 red zone QBs in 2021*

1. Tua Tagovailoa
2. Josh Allen
3. Jalen Hurts
4. Lamar Jackson (tie)
4. Tom Brady
6. Ryan Tannehill
7. Jimmy Garoppolo
8. Kirk Cousins
9. Aaron Rodgers
10. Teddy Bridgewater

*based on success rate (EPA>0), min 50 att"

"Lamar Jackson's early down PASSING outside the numbers last year:

#1 in YPA (9.2)
#1 in success rate (57%)
#1 in EPA/att (+0.33)

while averaging 9.4 air yards per attempt (5th highest)...

while being blitzed on 32% of attempts (5th highest)...

but he's not a quarterback"

I have doubts Jackson would be as successful outside of Baltimore

I wonder why they didn't lock him up?
That's a legitimate concern too. Baltimore has done very well to play to his strengths and put him in a position to succeed. Idk if I trust the titans to do the same, especially with what they did with Willis.

I imagine ljax is wanting to become the top paid QB despite having not finished the past two seasons

That's a legitimate concern too. Baltimore has done very well to play to his strengths and put him in a position to succeed. Idk if I trust the titans to do the same, especially with what they did with Willis.

I imagine ljax is wanting to become the top paid QB despite having not finished the past two seasons
I read it's the guaranteed money, he wants a Watson type deal..no way any team is doing that.

"Lamar Jackson...
had his team #1 seed in AFC in early DEC...
despite being the #1 most injured team in history
ranked #1 in the NFL throwing outside the numbers...
& was top-10 in the NFL in rush yds when healthy
and after injury BAL went 0-5"

"in the history of the NFL, every player with

80+ passing TDs and
20+ rushing TDs before their
50th career start:

Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson"

"total TDs prior to turning 24 yrs old

87 - Lamar Jackson
77 - Justin Herbert, Jameis Winston
70 - Dan Marino
63 - Matthew Stafford, Fran Tarkenton
62 - Cam Newton
61 - Kyler Murray
59 - Patrick Mahomes
57"

"most efficient QBs when trailing in the 2nd half last year:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Lamar Jackson
3. Kirk Cousins
4. Trevor Siemian
5. Jimmy G
6. Justin Herbert
7. Joe Burrow
8. Tom Brady
9. Patrick Mahomes
---
37. Zach Wilson
38. Russell Wilson
39. Sam Darnold
40. Mike Glennon"

"Lamar Jackson is absolutely DESTROYING the blitz this year

he ranks:

#1 in EPA/att
#2 in YPA
#3 in success rate

he has 6 passing TDs vs the blitz thru 3 games

but not only is he the NFL's best passer vs the blitz this year..."

"trailing in the 2nd half, highest EPA/pass att last 3 years:

1. Lamar Jackson
2. Patrick Mahomes
3. Kirk Cousins
4. Deshaun Watson
5. Tom Brady
6. Justin Herbert
7. Dak Prescott
8. Ryan Tannehill
9. Aaron Rodgers
10. Joe Burrow
11. Josh Allen
12. Matthew Stafford

*min 200 att"

"top-10 red zone QBs in 2021*

1. Tua Tagovailoa
2. Josh Allen
3. Jalen Hurts
4. Lamar Jackson (tie)
4. Tom Brady
6. Ryan Tannehill
7. Jimmy Garoppolo
8. Kirk Cousins
9. Aaron Rodgers
10. Teddy Bridgewater

*based on success rate (EPA>0), min 50 att"

"Lamar Jackson's early down PASSING outside the numbers last year:

#1 in YPA (9.2)
#1 in success rate (57%)
#1 in EPA/att (+0.33)

while averaging 9.4 air yards per attempt (5th highest)...

while being blitzed on 32% of attempts (5th highest)...

but he's not a quarterback"
THill had his team as a #1 seed. “By Dec” has more to do with the performance of other teams.

“#1 most injured team in history”? Titans own that back to back, when was this written? (I noticed quotes on the entire thing)

Top 10 in rush yards. Unless that equals something more as a QB and when it matters, so what? Mike Vick was arguably the best running QB ever but wasn’t a great QB. Randall Cunningham still the best to ever do it both.

After injury titans get really bad too. Imagine most teams losing their starter get worse, 0-5 is rough.

“In the history of the NFL......” stats need the asteroid of different eras regardless. That gets well off the current crop of QB and trying to compare them. It’s almost impossible to compare Dan Marino to Lamar Jackson, but I’m willing to bet 95% of people say Marino is better. How do you compare them? Not for this thread just don’t like the “in history” stats because it’s clearly skewed for passing today.

Most efficient trailing in 2nd half last year. So what again? He had an MVP year once, so did McNair one year. Believe it or not, Steve Beuerlein was the beatnik QB in the league 1 year. Point is, to be the best, you gotta do it consistently and individual year stats won’t prove that.

EPA- now this taps in to my distaste for analytics. In the definition of EPA, it is explained this is an estimate. So it’s not actual outcomes.

Last, isn’t the biggest argument people have against Tannehill is his inability to perform in the playoffs? I can’t imagine the W/L record he has in the post season boasts well.

THill had his team as a #1 seed. “By Dec” has more to do with the performance of other teams.

“#1 most injured team in history”? Titans own that back to back, when was this written? (I noticed quotes on the entire thing)

Top 10 in rush yards. Unless that equals something more as a QB and when it matters, so what? Mike Vick was arguably the best running QB ever but wasn’t a great QB. Randall Cunningham still the best to ever do it both.

After injury titans get really bad too. Imagine most teams losing their starter get worse, 0-5 is rough.

“In the history of the NFL......” stats need the asteroid of different eras regardless. That gets well off the current crop of QB and trying to compare them. It’s almost impossible to compare Dan Marino to Lamar Jackson, but I’m willing to bet 95% of people say Marino is better. How do you compare them? Not for this thread just don’t like the “in history” stats because it’s clearly skewed for passing today.

Most efficient trailing in 2nd half last year. So what again? He had an MVP year once, so did McNair one year. Believe it or not, Steve Beuerlein was the beatnik QB in the league 1 year. Point is, to be the best, you gotta do it consistently and individual year stats won’t prove that.

EPA- now this taps in to my distaste for analytics. In the definition of EPA, it is explained this is an estimate. So it’s not actual outcomes.

Last, isn’t the biggest argument people have against Tannehill is his inability to perform in the playoffs? I can’t imagine the W/L record he has in the post season boasts well.
Fair enough we can argue back and forth on this endlessly if we want. Just curious though where would you rank Jackson, and who do you have ahead of him. Factoring age into the equation.

I expect our first round to be QB this year.

They may be willing to test Radunz as the replacement for Lewan, as he was finally doing great there until he got injured.
I could see this especially with the GM change. It's why I don't see running it back as an actual option. There will be a new vision installed, and that almost always means new QB.

Vrabel is gonna be all over Will Levis. Young lacks the physicality that he seeks and Stroud may not be dynamic enough. Levis will be his target, exactly the type of QB he's talked about wanting -- just my prediction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see this with all the GM change. Vrabel is gonna be all over Will Levis. Young lacks the physicality that he seeks and Stroud may not dynamic enough. Levis will be his target, exactly the type of QB he's talked about wanting -- just my prediction.
Levis is gonna suck ass. So we'll probably reach and take him lol

The Eagles are spending $50m/yr on their offensive line, the best in the NFL.

The Titans spent a paltry $10m total on our primary lineup this year (Daley, Brewer, Jones, Davis, NPF) and $7m of that was Ben Jones. The other 4 guys shared $3 mil.

Cheaping out on the OL was a major part of the issue for us. Go all in this off-season and load up through FA like the Bengals did last year. We don’t need another rookie on the line.

The Titans spent a paltry $10m total on our primary lineup this year (Daley, Brewer, Jones, Davis, NPF) and $7m of that was Ben Jones. The other 4 guys shared $3 mil.

Cheaping out on the OL was a major part of the issue for us. Go all in this off-season and load up through FA like the Bengals did last year. We don’t need another rookie on the line.
You win in the trenches

You still have to factor Lewan's base salary of 12.9 million even though he was injured early in the year. The Titans were clearly counting him anchoring that LT position for the season (even though his injury history suggested that was obviously not going to happen).

Cutting Lewan, Dupree, Cunningham, and Woods for starters should free up some space to address the OL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back