Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty obvious all need are "pretty good" scouts. Find value and the occasional diamond in the rough.

That's :trophy::wooo::trophy:

Hopefully Carthon a better jeweler than JRobber.

“good QBs” dont win SB, only “very good” do and some of them are drafted in the 3rd rd or 6th round. And not all “very good” QBs win a SB.

It seems like the SB winning QB is only drafted in the top 10 about once every 5 years (Mahomes at 10, Stafford at 1, although won on a different team, Ben/Eli before that).

And does it equate to SB wins?
List of teams that picked a top 10 QB the last 25 years and if they won the SB with said top 10 QB:
2021 Jax/Jets/SF - remains to be seen, I think the Jets are out
2020 CIN/mia/LAC - remains to be seen, but pretty good class like 2004
2019 ARZ/NYG- remains to be seen? Not looking great
2018 Cle/NYJ/Buf/ARZ - maybe buffalo? Kind of a playoff choker though
2017 chi/KC - there’s 1, Mahomes
2016 rams/Phi - nope
2015 TB/TEN - nope
2014 Jax - nope
2012 Ind/was/mia - nope
2011 car/ten/Jax - nope
2010 rams - nope
2009 Det/NYJ - nope
2008 Atl - soooooo close but nope
2007 Oak - nope
2006 ten/ARZ - nope
2005 SF - nope
2004 LAC/NYG - I’ll count Eli since he was really drafted to play NYG
2003 CIN/Jax - nope
2002 Hou/Det - nope
2001 Atl - nope
1999 Cle/Phi/CIN - nope
1998 ind/lac - the bigger Manning makes 3.

3 in 25 years, 43 top 10 QBs. What’s worse is how many times you see the same teams over and over just keep trying as other teams that aren’t doing this are winning the SB almost exclusively.

Honestly, you cannot compare the game pre 2014 to today's game.....

The spread style offense didn't really take off in the NFL with all these RPOS, Gadgets, Motions, Off Set blocking schemes until about 2016.... The spread was always considered a fast-break offense that would always stay at the collegiate level.

from 1998 to 2010 really the only air it out offense, was INDY - and then LAC ran the style in a variation for their couple ALMOST years, Patriots being the same story when acquiring Moss.

And BTW -- if you're going to list Buffalo (Josh Allen) you better be prepared to list Philip Rivers for SD/LAC - because he has went to as many AFC Championship Games as he has........ And 2009 Detroit is wrong, he has won a Super Bowl with LA Rams -- via trade, but the argument still holds water for the 1st round pick draft class.

Titans could win a Super Bowl with Tanny just like the Rams just did with Stafford. Bring in some star veterans and surround them with decent young talent and who knows. At that point it come down to coaching.

Honestly, you cannot compare the game pre 2014 to today's game.....

The spread style offense didn't really take off in the NFL with all these RPOS, Gadgets, Motions, Off Set blocking schemes until about 2016.... The spread was always considered a fast-break offense that would always stay at the collegiate level.

from 1998 to 2010 really the only air it out offense, was INDY - and then LAC ran the style in a variation for their couple ALMOST years, Patriots being the same story when acquiring Moss.

And BTW -- if you're going to list Buffalo (Josh Allen) you better be prepared to list Philip Rivers for SD/LAC - because he has went to as many AFC Championship Games as he has........ And 2009 Detroit is wrong, he has won a Super Bowl with LA Rams -- via trade, but the argument still holds water for the 1st round pick draft class.
I’m not sure the significance of 2014. I look at the pass happy league change starting in 2005 after the Peyton manning rule was implemented. That’s subjective though, to each their own.

As far as rivers/Allen. So far based on the limited criteria people offer on what defines “very good”, “franchise QB”, or other vague terms people throw around as if a universal definition exists, I’ll have to go with the only definition I ever see typed, win a SB. So both don’t cut it.

and 2009 Detroit is not wrong. Stafford won yes, but what did the top 10 pick QB do for Detroit? The same as every other QB drafted top 10 that didn’t lead their team to a SB.

So do players drafted in the 1st.

I pointed out Willis bc we "never" draft at QB. Everyone (not just Titan fans) seemed to be in love with the pick until they saw him play.

But players (specifically QBs) drafted in first have a MUCH higher hit rate than any other round.

Everyone was in love with the Willis pick because his raw talent is obvious. He legit is probably top 5 in the league in arm strength and he runs about a 4.5 fyd. His issues are he can't read a defense and has horrendous pocket presence. He was always going to be a developmental QB. He's seems to be a smart young man from what I've read about him, so may be he'll get there one day. But he has a larger learning curve than the average QB.

Titans could win a Super Bowl with Tanny just like the Rams just did with Stafford. Bring in some star veterans and surround them with decent young talent and who knows. At that point it come down to coaching.

Stafford was on a borderline HOF path well before he won the SB with the Rams. They are not remotely comparable.

We will still have a ton of money to spend next year and draft your GOAT…

1. No guarantee we'd be picking higher than 11, making a trade up even harder than it is now.

2. A QB taken this draft has an extra year of development over a 2024 rookie. Meaning the rebuild process ideally is quicker.

So Chicago is in a good spot this year...a QB on a rookie deal, #1 pick and close to 100 mil in cap space

Actually yes, they are in a terrific spot. Number 1 pick in the draft and the most cap space in the league. They can massively improve their roster if they make the right decisions.

So this is the way, the only success possible is tanking for an early QB and hope it’s Mahomes. If not, try try try again.

horrible strategy. If you were running the team, you have as many fans as the Jags for all the non competitive teams you’ve put together with swings and misses.

And if you were running this team, we'd be stuck in mediocrity until Tanne and Henry, struggling to maybe win 10 games while the rest of the AFC South gets better and we are left in the cellar within 2 years.

This sounds like a trade idea for Aaron Rodgers.

we get the “very good” QB required and we don’t need to worry about anything else.
Plus, next year tons of cap room.

If Rodgers were 34 instead of 39, I'd gladly do it. I just don't think he has more than 3 years remaining in the league.

And if you were running this team, we'd be stuck in mediocrity until Tanne and Henry, struggling to maybe win 10 games while the rest of the AFC South gets better and we are left in the cellar within 2 years.
Every team, goes to the cellar eventually, how long you stay there is the question in this scenario.
Using the Jax method is proof of failure as they’ve have been bottom feeders for around 18 of 20 years. The only time they even got out of the basement was because Houston, Indy, or TN fought for the bottom spot.

Look at that list of QBs taken in the top 10 again. Jax, ARZ, NYJ, TN, Cle are constant repeats while the best teams aren’t even listed.
TN finally found success with a “mediocre, average” QB and what some repeat as the outdated running style that failed TN all the way to the #1 seed while running over the best teams.

Btw, love this continuous boogie man of “while the AFC South gets better”. When, when will this actually happen? Been hearing it for like 5 years or so and still a marginal, not great Jax team beat out the crap to an impressive 9-8 season. At this point law of averages should have taken over and 1 of these teams at least should be way better than they are. This has become the most empty threat in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

What's that tik tok sound?

"Hey hey hey, Hey now, Hey now.... slow down alright..."

The issue with the Titans is they kept bringing in injured or just older vets. As a lot of people here have said, we need a big infusion of youth on our team, especially on offence. We were old and slow on the field before this coming season. I guess you could make an exception for our DB's. They are young, just bad.

The issue with the Titans is they kept bringing in injured or just older vets. As a lot of people here have said, we need a big infusion of youth on our team, especially on offence. We were old and slow on the field before this coming season. I guess you could make an exception for our DB's. They are young, just bad.
As bad as they were, can’t expect every player drafted to immediately make contributions. The secondary to me, seemed to show some good signs in a few games that we have 3-4 decent DB that just need some more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back