Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tannehill won't be here next year, the minute Levis was drafted he knew there will be a changing of the guard, at 3-5 that time is now.

With Burks not being able to stay on the field, well at least vertically, we should have dealt for a WR... someone mentioned Wan'Dale Robinson?

Before Levis and after Levis, I will always prefer a rookie qb getting a season watching from the bench. It rarely goes well throwing a rookie qb in to the fire. Sure, some do fine, but most do not. Give that rookie a season of learning, build up the o-line with all of our cap money this offseason, hopefully be able to draft 1 or 2 good o-line and then give the 2nd year qb his chance to shine.

So if Vrabel puts Tannehill back in, I am all for it.
Well I guess that's a really good point.

However entertaining wise this fan base really needs this spark in order to go and watch games I really cannot take another Tannehill snap because of how boring it is.

Yea but all he said is no I am not going to announce that today. We are going to review the depth chart over the weekend at multiple positions and we will have an answer for you guys on Tuesday. I am perfectly fine with that response because 1 it allows time to watch the tape and 2 it give them time to internally tell the team who the starter will be. Nothing worse for a player than for the media to find out they lost their starting job before being told by the coach themselves. I feel Vrabel played it right here....now we will see what comes Tuesday and then people can start complaining based on that outcome. At the end of the day if it wasn't going to be Levis he would have stated Ryan is still our starter like he has in the past.
Not really buying this.
Vrabel would have to have some absolute faith that THill’s struggles were due to his injury and that if he’s healthy, Vrabel sees the possibility that he returns to form essentially from 2 years ago.
On top of that, he would also have to believe that Levis is struggling to the point that he needs more time watching the game before ready to truly take over.

match all that with the anticipated future. We can assume there is some possibility that THill gets a new contract to stay and that Vrabel doesn’t want to move in a direction to force the opposite BUT that also would neglect what is obvious about getting a younger QB regardless of current play factors. If there is even a small notion that Levis (or Willis) are not the future and THill is potentially still the guy until another replacement is in town, then he still needs to figure that out going forward to either eliminate that notion or it’s already been decided that THill is the guy. If that’s the case, he should be sticking to his story that THill starts when healthy. Still no reason to flip flop or not make a decision. The lack of decision is more harmful than potentially making the “wrong” decision either way.

Before Levis and after Levis, I will always prefer a rookie qb getting a season watching from the bench. It rarely goes well throwing a rookie qb in to the fire. Sure, some do fine, but most do not. Give that rookie a season of learning, build up the o-line with all of our cap money this offseason, hopefully be able to draft 1 or 2 good o-line and then give the 2nd year qb his chance to shine.

So if Vrabel puts Tannehill back in, I am all for it.
Generally speaking, I’m also an advocate for a full year sitting.
A couple circumstances that can change my usual stance:
1 the new QB is older than the avg rookie. More of a time issue, since Levis is already 24 to even start, he should have additional experience than most rookies, but you’re also potentially postponing development until it’s too late to truly maximize. Basically any 5 year college QB gets a leg up with me over a 4 or less.
2 injury forces the young QB in before the chance to sit a full year AND they perform well enough to start. If levis struggled more or looked equal to or worse than THill, I’d be all for THill going back in. That’s not to say I’d be completely angry with THill coming back in. I’ll attribute additional time watching the game as more learning under instruction vice getting thrown to the fire, but I think Levis is ready.

Announcing Levis as starter and future starter isn’t throwing THill in the trash. Not only is it a part of the game and 32 franchises, THill has to understand he wasn’t playing well, he’s on the last year of contract, and the titans clearly made investment into a young QB.
What Vrabel potentially does by playing the stupid word games, is create the issue of Levis or THill not really knowing what the actual intentions unless he’s stated a starter already among them. And if he did that, why hide it from the media? It gains nothing.

What I’m saying is THEY do know. He just hasn’t said it to the fans or media. They don’t . I have said this over and over. NFL HCs don’t do that.

What I’m saying is THEY do know. He just hasn’t said it to the fans or media. They don’t . I have said this over and over. NFL HCs don’t do that.
I guess I’ll argue that many coaches do announce it.
In this case specifically, it gains absolutely nothing when THill already knows and saying it doesn’t do anything to THill anyway.

I just don’t see any advantage at all when it likely creates more issues for the titans, not the opponents.

Generally speaking, I’m also an advocate for a full year sitting.
A couple circumstances that can change my usual stance:
1 the new QB is older than the avg rookie. More of a time issue, since Levis is already 24 to even start, he should have additional experience than most rookies, but you’re also potentially postponing development until it’s too late to truly maximize. Basically any 5 year college QB gets a leg up with me over a 4 or less.
2 injury forces the young QB in before the chance to sit a full year AND they perform well enough to start. If levis struggled more or looked equal to or worse than THill, I’d be all for THill going back in. That’s not to say I’d be completely angry with THill coming back in. I’ll attribute additional time watching the game as more learning under instruction vice getting thrown to the fire, but I think Levis is ready.
That's the hard part. Levis has looked ok in 2 games now. Makes the decision moving forward much more difficult. Behind this line, I'd put Tammy out there to take the punishment, but I understand either way.

I guess I’ll argue that many coaches do announce it.
In this case specifically, it gains absolutely nothing when THill already knows and saying it doesn’t do anything to THill anyway.

I just don’t see any advantage at all when it likely creates more issues for the titans, not the opponents.

You can argue it. But NFL coaches don’t just come out and say there long time Vet starting QB is done middle of the season after they are healthy recovering from injury. They have more respect than that.

Why would it create any issues for the Titans if they all know who the starter is. The team knows. The people in this forum don’t know. PK doesn’t know.

Look.. if Vrabel goes back to THill. I’m done with him. There is just no reason to go back to THill. None.

I am also a fan of letting a rookie sit for a season, but Levis has not lost games for us in two outings thus far IMO. He should be the starter for either the rest of the season or until he starts to struggle for more than one game IMO.

You can argue it. But NFL coaches don’t just come out and say there long time Vet starting QB is done middle of the season after they are healthy recovering from injury. They have more respect than that.

Why would it create any issues for the Titans if they all know who the starter is. The team knows. The people in this forum don’t know. PK doesn’t know.

Look.. if Vrabel goes back to THill. I’m done with him. There is just no reason to go back to THill. None.
Because players are still asked by the media. Now they basically have to do general talk to avoid either accidentally giving away what is probably already decided or let the media run wild with it and their own speculation.
Easy to tell a player ignore it but for what reason? There is no benefit and yes, starters have been told, mid season they are no longer the starter.

I am also a fan of letting a rookie sit for a season, but Levis has not lost games for us in two outings thus far IMO. He should be the starter for either the rest of the season or until he starts to struggle for more than one game IMO.

Even if he struggles, you still play him. Let him get the bumps and bruises out the way this year.

Agree generally, but if it gets to the point that he has started to lose confidence then you reconsider. I do not see that happening here, admittedly.

And... we could probably make the Oline issues better just by putting the right players at the right positions rather than whatever disfunctional decision process is being used now. There is no reason to get Levis hurt because of that BS.

Because players are still asked by the media. Now they basically have to do general talk to avoid either accidentally giving away what is probably already decided or let the media run wild with it and their own speculation.
Easy to tell a player ignore it but for what reason? There is no benefit and yes, starters have been told, mid season they are no longer the starter.

Sure they have been told. All kinds of starters. But not veteran QBs after 2 games from a rookie only starting because of the Veteran QB being injured. It’s not done. You can’t find me an example. You might find a QB change. But it’s after horrible play or huge decline. The HC never just comes to the podium and says our QB who was our starter got hurt and now he is healthy but we are stick with Levis because our veteran starter sucks now. It’s about respect and dignity. Some of you hating on Vrabel because he doesn’t say in press conferences what you want him to say. It’s crazy.

Sure they have been told. All kinds of starters. But not veteran QBs after 2 games from a rookie only starting because of the Veteran QB being injured. It’s not done. You can’t find me an example. You might find a QB change. But it’s after horrible play or huge decline. The HC never just comes to the podium and says our QB who was our starter got hurt and now he is healthy but we are stick with Levis because our veteran starter sucks now. It’s about respect and dignity. Some of you hating on Vrabel because he doesn’t say in press conferences what you want him to say. It’s crazy.
Tom Brady and drew Bledsoe is an example.

Tom Brady and drew Bledsoe is an example.

No it’s not. Belichick didn’t come out after one game and say Bledsoe will never start another game for us it’s Brady’s job now. Bledsoe also had a life threatening injury. After multiple weeks then the job became Brady’s. But Belichick never embarrassed Bledsoe.

No it’s not. Belichick didn’t come out after one game and say Bledsoe will never start another game for us it’s Brady’s job now. Bledsoe also had a life threatening injury. After multiple weeks then the job became Brady’s. But Belichick never embarrassed Bledsoe.
Well, you just changed the goal post here.

zero coaches for any position player will ever say that a player will never play for the team again.

you said coaches don’t announce that the original starting QB was not starting when returning from injury (you then added a bunch of qualifiers of sorts) but that’s just not true.

there is nothing to gain by not saying Levis is now the starter and there is no effect on THill by making the announcement either.
this is a Vrabel thing doing Vrabel things. It’s not common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back