Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name a team who doesnt regret paying their "top flight" RB. You're gonna have to go back a bit.
We're supposed to suffer because of other teams mistakes?

You lose Henry and youre gambling on rookie RB that you don't know if you're getting or not.

There arent many examples of RB's killing it after their pay days, but Im sure the Saints would love to have Ingram back. They used to be a top running team, now theyre middle of the pack. Thats the risk you take when letting a top 10 RB walk. For them it helps having a HoF QB to manage the loss but lets see them on the road in January without their stud RB this post season. Gonna be tough in Green Bay if they have to travel.

We choose who and what are identity is. What successful team pays too much for a running back? Rams? Cardinals? Jets? Cowboys? Or maybe I should bring up the Titans. Name one team who has done it and it works out for. We don’t have to sign him. He deserves to get paid, but we don’t have to pay him.
What are identity is? Our... you must be a Tennessee vols fan with that english.

If he deserves to get paid, we should be the one to do it. That's dumb to say a guy should be paid but we don't have to do it. Why would we not be the one?

Name a team that has a 6’3 250 LB back that averages the yards he does? I’ll wait............
Thats the other thing, Henry does NOT fit the mold. This guy has track speed and the frame of a DE.

God help us if Houston/Jacksonville somehow landed him..

And with some likely cuts it is probably mid 50s. But Tannehill gets 27-30, so now you are at. 25-27 mill left. Give Henry 13-15 and you are at 10-12 left. With that you need to figure out right Tackle, you have to let Ryan walk and replace him. You have about 7-9 other roster spots to fill...and your drafted players to sign...which yes, will fill some of the open roster spots. And people here still think we gotta find a guard. How are you gonna do all that with 10-12 mill? If you sign Tanny and Henry you are totally strapped.
Thats not how GM's do these deals. Sure on average your figures sound about right, but GM's work the cap with bonus money which is prorated over the life of a contract. In other words if Henry averages 15/yr, we wont be hit with that average in 2020, or even 2021. We'd most likely see JR give him a healthy bonus up front that hes able to spread out over many years with a very low salary the first two years.

Id bet Henrys 2020 salary is less than $6M

Name a team that has a 6’3 250 LB back that averages the yards he does? I’ll wait............

Do you have this on repeat. There aren’t any...and that is irrelevant to the arguments being made to move on. The basic issue is in keeping him do you get more total value toward the goal of winning than moving on. What if you could improve your OL with the money and draft a back that could get 1100 yards? But at the same time add a defensive piece that could keep you from giving up as many points per game. You might be weaker at rb but stronger overall. So that should be where your argument focuses on, not how big Henry is. They don’t give you wins for that.

Thats the other thing, Henry does NOT fit the mold. This guy has track speed and the frame of a DE.

God help us if Houston/Jacksonville somehow landed him..
Exactly. The guy is fast, can get to the next level, and wears teams down. It’s beyond his stats. I’d argue not only is he worth paying, but I’d go and draft and or add another back and cut Lewis. Imagine our squad with a healthy HENRY and a 2nd threat. It fits what we want to do as well. It would devastate teams!

Exactly. The guy is fast, can get to the next level, and wears teams down. It’s beyond his stats. I’d argue not only is he worth paying, but I’d go and draft and or add another back and cut Lewis. Imagine our squad with a healthy HENRY and a 2nd threat. It fits what we want to do as well. It would devastate teams!
Hell yea, cut Lewis punk ass and draft a second RB to give Henry a break.

Do you have this on repeat. There aren’t any...and that is irrelevant to the arguments being made to move on. The basic issue is in keeping him do you get more total value toward the goal of winning than moving on. What if you could improve your OL with the money and draft a back that could get 1100 yards? But at the same time add a defensive piece that could keep you from giving up as many points per game. You might be weaker at rb but stronger overall. So that should be where your argument focuses on, not how big Henry is. They don’t give you wins for that.
I do, because you can’t answer it moron. The guy is a top 3 back. We lose without him. We tried to draft other backs and sign FA’s and they sucked, yet you act like it’s so easy. Ya don’t give up on a sure thing. That’s the point....

Thats not how GM's do these deals. Sure on average your figures sound about right, but GM's work the cap with bonus money which is prorated over the life of a contract. In other words if Henry averages 15/yr, we wont be hit with that average in 2020, or even 2021. We'd most likely see JR give him a healthy bonus up front that hes able to spread out over many years with a very low salary the first two years.

Id bet Henrys 2020 salary is less than $6M

I get it. You can play with the numbers. But there is a cost at some point where you then have even more money hitting your cap in the future. These will hit when there are other young players you want to sign and keep. If it doesn’t hit you next year, it will hit you eventually. So do you want to wrap up so much money at that position, because it will cost you at others. Where is the net gain found? Very few NFL people conclude the net gain is found in the elite running back.

I get it. You can play with the numbers. But there is a cost at some point where you then have even more money hitting your cap in the future. These will hit when there are other young players you want to sign and keep. If it doesn’t hit you next year, it will hit you eventually. So do you want to wrap up so much money at that position, because it will cost you at others. Where is the net gain found? Very few NFL people conclude the net gain is found in the elite running back.
You should look at the cap beyond 2020 because let me tell you. 1.) the cap will continue to grow, and 2.) we have NO ONE due a big pay day in the near future.

Jayon Brown is it, and hes a ILB. Those guys get nothing compared to other defensive positions.

We can easily afford Henry, Tannehill, Conklin, etc if we want.......

You should look at the cap beyond 2020 because let me tell you. 1.) the cap will continue to grow, and 2.) we have NO ONE due a big pay day in the near future.

Jayon Brown is it, and hes a ILB. Those guys get nothing compared to other defensive positions.

The other thing...We haven’t paid HENRY much as it is. A 2nd round steal that is outproducing guys like Zeke, Saquon, etc....Talk about value. We got away cheap with a guy we gave little for, and thankfully we did because Murray went to crap when we needed him to step up. Keep HENRY, draft another guy or FA that is a one cut and receiving style back. We would be nasty.

I do, because you can’t answer it moron. The guy is a top 3 back. We lose without him. We tried to draft other backs and sign FA’s and they sucked, yet you act like it’s so easy. Ya don’t give up on a sure thing. That’s the point....

I did answer it. No one is his size and does what he does. But did you read the rest of my post? Make a case that he will give you a greater net gain in the win column if you sign him but then lose at other positions. Will he be able to do what he does if our line which most still think we need to improve takes another hit at RT? Or we lose a swing lineman like Kelly? And if our defense takes some hits, Will he be able to add enough to still win games? No one is arguing that he is not one of the best at his position. You win on that. I agree...we all agree. The question is the value of the position and whether it is wise to spend so much money on it. There is a lot of evidence out there that suggests the position is not worth that kind of money.

I did answer it. No one is his size and does what he does. But did you read the rest of my post? Make a case that he will give you a greater net gain in the win column if you sign him but then lose at other positions. Will he be able to do what he does if our line which most still think we need to improve takes another hit at RT? Or we lose a swing lineman like Kelly? And if our defense takes some hits, Will he be able to add enough to still win games? No one is arguing that he is not one of the best at his position. You win on that. I agree...we all agree. The question is the value of the position and whether it is wise to spend so much money on it. There is a lot of evidence out there that suggests the position is not worth that kind of money.
It’s a gamble either way, so naturally, you gamble on the proven commodity over the “possibility”. I get it, but we are gaining cap space back when we don’t resign Lewis, Walker, Etc.

But where are we losing by signing Henry?

Look at the 2020 FA class, we stand to lose no one except Jayon and Adoree, and Adoree ATM isnt expected to command big dollars, and neither is an ILB.

What we over spend on today we can make back in 2021.

Yes, the cap will grow. Probably about 10 mill or so a year. But as it does salaries adjust accordingly. Players simply get payed more that significantly negates the increase. Proportionality of how you construct your team does not change with the yearly increase.

As far as players we will need to sign, Evans and Brown should be included right? Adore Jackson as well right? If you lose Jackson and Ryan you have big needs in the secondary. And how long is Vaccaro signed for?

In 2-3 year I think we will need the money more than you think. At that time will we be happy with having Henry account for such a large portion of it?

Another good thing, HENRY is under the dreaded 30 mark even after a big contract. In his prime, growing team, competitive team, relatively fresh legs since he played little his first few years.

If you're going to pay Tannehill, you pay Henry...

Both are feasting off each others quality of play...

The fact that teams are having to respect Ryans throwing ability, plays right into Derricks ability to get downhill...

And Derricks ability to get downhill, plays right into Ryan's no look play action reads. (Moment he turns, he's firing to a route)

We saw that element fly out the window vs Saints as no one is afraid of Dion Lewis, and they were tossing him around..... setting the playaction in a bad spot
We're on the verge of a 3 Headed Monster - Tannehill, Henry and Brown.

Another good thing, HENRY is under the dreaded 30 mark even after a big contract. In his prime, growing team, competitive team, relatively fresh legs since he played little his first few years.
Even a five year deal would put him at age 30 during the last season

It’s a gamble either way, so naturally, you gamble on the proven commodity over the “possibility”. I get it, but we are gaining cap space back when we don’t resign Lewis, Walker, Etc.

In such a gamble, I would look at where the value for positions seems to lie over the last decade in the league. It doesn’t seem to be in RB but at other positions. I can’t name another player like Henry but you can’t name a recent team that is happy with the results they have gotten when giving a RB a big contract.

Yea, pay him while hes still young, then in 4 years or so when hes beginning to wear out, move on...

In 2-3 years $15M for an elite RB will be nothing...

And Im still not even sure Henry will get $15. Hes been a 2 down back since coming in. But what he gives you on the first 2 plays is huge.

I also think he would take on a larger role if hes paid. JR will need to justify a hefty contract.

But being a 2 down runner will work in our favor to re-sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back