Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you read the part where I said RB’s decline faster than any other position?
Like I said before. Henry is a premiere power back. Power backs often have their BEST years in their second contracts.

Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
Jamal Lewis
Mike Alstott
Jerome Bettis
EDDIE GEORGE!

ALL had their best years in their second contracts.

We have the basis for something truly great with Tanny, Henry and Brown. Why mess with that to save some money. Ridiculous.

Like I said before. Henry is a premiere power back. Power backs often have their BEST years in their second contracts.

Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
Jamal Lewis
Mike Alstott
Jerome Bettis
EDDIE GEORGE!

We have the basis for something truly great with Tanny, Henry and Brown. Why mess with that to save some money. Ridiculous.

Eddie George was the Titan’s MVP this year even in retirement. Henry grew a pair after talking to Eddie. Great to see Henry finally being a bruiser in between the tackles. Eddie’s pep talk turned Henry from an inconsistent average back to the best back in the league.

Henry is 25 years old. He's got plenty left in the tank. Who knows, he could be Frank Gore and still be a good RB at 35. He hasn't been ran in to the ground in the NFL.
I have said the same to the trolls here...I would add to that that with his style he isn't as likely to see a huge decline over the years. He's not particularly shifty or quick now, so I don't see a drop off from a lack of quickness as he ages. Even with a 5 year deal he would still be just 30 at the end of it. PAY THE MAN.

Eddie George was the Titan’s MVP this year even in retirement. Henry grew a pair after talking to Eddie. Great to see Henry finally being a bruiser in between the tackles. Eddie’s pep talk turned Henry from an inconsistent average back to the best back in the league.

From what I understand the biggest thing was George telling Henry not to fall down when he is touched. Keep kicking those feet and pushing forward. Once Henry started doing that he became the back we were hoping him to be.

From what I understand the biggest thing was George telling Henry not to fall down when he is touched. Keep kicking those feet and pushing forward. Once Henry started doing that he became the back we were hoping him to be.
It wasn't "dont fall down" that he told Henry to change. It was to stop looking for the cutback lane all the time.

Henry is way too long to recoil in the backfield, his best tool should be his size and to let physics take over when hes met in the backfield.. Not to stop and try to change direction, that doesn't work at his size. Center of gravity way too high for a big man to be doing that stuff.

This is a ridiculous thread. Of COURSE we resign Henry. Henry is a premiere power back. Do you realize how hard that is to find? And power backs tend to have their BEST years in their second contracts.

Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
Jamal Lewis
Mike Alstott
Jerome Bettis
EDDIE GEORGE!

How about a more modern look at big contract RBs? like... Zeke(15m/yr), Gurley(14.8yr), Bell(13.1/yr), David Johnson(13/yr), Freeman(8.3/yr).
I believe every single one of these teams regrets those contract. These are the top 5 paid RBs in the league right now.
I want to keep the Henry train rolling, but believe paying him anything over 10-12m is a mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a more modern look at big contract RBs? like... Zeke(15m/yr), Gurley(14.8yr), Bell(13.1/yr), David Johnson(13/yr), Freeman(8.3/yr).
I believe every single one of these teams regrets those contract. These are the top 5 paid RBs in the league right now.
I want to keep the Henry train rolling, but believe paying him anything over 10m is a mistake.
Only thing Dallas regrets is their staff.

I want to keep the Henry train rolling, but believe paying him anything over 10-12m is a mistake.
Can't be scared to pay your guy based on what players on other teams do. If that were the case, everyone would be screwed when contracts come up.

Can't be scared to pay your guy based on what players on other teams do. If that were the case, everyone would be screwed when contracts come up.
Sure, but paying RBs this kind of ridiculous money is a new thing. I fully supported making Byard and Lewan the highest paid at their positions, bc those positions are much less replaceable and the top paid guys at those positions have a better track record.

Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
Jamal Lewis
Mike Alstott
Jerome Bettis
EDDIE GEORGE!

I just looked at the average salaries of these guys 2nd contract during their peak and compared it to the salary cap at the time. Here is what % of the cap these guys took up on their big paydays.

AP 6.6%
Lewis 4.6%
Lynch 4.5%
George 4%
Bettis 3.7%

The salary cap is expected to be about 197M next year. The top RBs make 15M. This puts them at 7.6% of the teams salary. It is honestly not as bad as I expected when I started looking into this, but I would still like to keep him below 12M.
That 4.5% sweet spot would only put him at 8.86M which would put him at the 5th highest paid RB in the league, but well behind the big 4 that are grossly overpaid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, but paying RBs this kind of ridiculous money is a new thing. I fully supported making Byard and Lewan the highest paid at their positions, bc those positions are much less replaceable and the top paid guys at those positions have a better track record.
Replace with who?

I just looked at the average salaries of these guys 2nd contract during their peak and compared it to the salary cap at the time. Here is what % of the cap these guys took up on their big paydays.

AP 6.6%
Lewis 4.6%
Lynch 4.5%
George 4%
Bettis 3.7%

The salary cap is expected to be about 197M next year. The top RBs make 15M. This puts them at 7.6% of the teams salary. It is honestly not as bad as I expected when I started looking into this, but I would still like to keep him below 12M.
That 4.5% sweet spot would only put him at 8.86M which would put him at the 5th highest paid RB in the league, but well behind the big 4 that are grossly overpaid.
Cap is expected to be from the number you mentioned to over 201 million.

I love Henry, but at 15M...
I'd much rather draft any of Taylor, Hubbard, Dobbins, Etienne, Akers, Hill, Moss in the 2nd or 3rd and pay them 1-1.5M for the next 4 years.
It ain’t your money.....a 4 year deal with outs after 3 will be fine.

Really, really glad YOU aren’t in on the decision making team for the tits.

I love how everyone is like “just draft an unknown rookie who’s never played a snap in the NFL and pay him peanuts...LOL. Don’t pay the guy that is a once in a decade type of back that just won the rushing title in 1.5 less games than Chubb and co. Makes a lot of sense. How are Josh Jacobs, Darius Guice, and co doing? Golfing and or injured/not playing right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back